AR Newbie Registered Member

Forte model 3 vs Jeff Rowland model 5

I have a Forte model 3 amp that I like very much but I was thinking of trying a Jeff Rowland amp with my Newform Research R630 speakers. They are both said to be very musical and have a nice midrange. Does anyone know what the high frequencies are like for the JR? I've read that they are rolled off a little. If so, how would they compare to my Forte model 3, which has an open, airy sounding upper end? They both are said to have good control of bass as well.

Newform's

Quote Originally Posted by albert123
    I have a Forte model 3 amp that I like very much but I was thinking of trying a Jeff Rowland amp with my Newform Research R630 speakers. They are both said to be very musical and have a nice midrange. Does anyone know what the high frequencies are like for the JR? I've read that they are rolled off a little. If so, how would they compare to my Forte model 3, which has an open, airy sounding upper end? They both are said to have good control of bass as well.
    Haven't heard either the Forte or Rowland, but I'm curious how you like the R630's. Did you consider the R645's? Was there a reason other than cost that you went with R630's?

I like my Magneplanar MG 1.6's but someday I might move my system to a smaller room where I would want to avoid the dipolar design. In that case I would look seriously at the Newforms. I would guess that their quasi-ribbon tweeters would favor a tube or class A s/s amp. Is the Forte class A?

Why Newform Research R630

Yes, the price was a factor for me in deciding to try the R630 instead of the R645. I hadn't heard the speakers before I ordered them, I had just done a bunch of research and took the plunge. I wish now that I had sprung the extra cash for the R645's as they have two scan speak drivers instead of one and are a little bit more transparent. The new R645 version 3 speakers are supposed to be better yet as they have tweaked the speaker cabinets with more bracing and have gone to a sealed cabinet (no port) design. They are said to be even more transparent and smooth and also go down to 20 hz.

As for whether to replace the Forte model 3 with a Jeff Rowland amp, I have just purchased a Threshold 400A amp. The Forte is said to be a high bias AB amp, meaning that it is supposedly class A output up to about 30 W. The Threshold is a 100W class A amp with new Black gate caps. I am planning on biamping my R630's with the Threshold 400A for the ribbons and the Forte 3 for the midrange. I am getting an Axiom EP500 subwoofer soon for the lowend

Congrats on the Threshold

I haven't heard many of them but they have a good rep. Class A amps are 'class' in general, and though the class D amps are coming on strong, I don't think the latter have quite the combination of virtures that class A possess. (I believe that Newform nevertheless likes and recommends class D.)

In my case, my Monarchy SM-70 Pro's fit into the high class A bias, low feedback category. On most recording I prefer them to my previous Bel Canto eVo, (class "T" variety of class D) on most recordings. The Bel wins by a small margin on transparency, though.

What is class T?

It looks like you have a very nice system. The imaging and detail must be great with the Magneplanar speakers and Monarchy amp.

I've heard of different classes of amps, depending on how they bias the output transistors (A, AB, G, D - digital) but I haven't heard of class T. How do they work?

Class T

Quote Originally Posted by albert123
    .I've heard of different classes of amps, depending on how they bias the output transistors (A, AB, G, D - digital) but I haven't heard of class T. How do they work?
    "Class T", more properly know as "Tripath', is basically a proprietary variation of Class D. Read a little bit about it here ...

Thread Information