speaker makes cracking sound during thunder

Whenever I am watching a TV (I have standard Cable service). A popping sound comes from the center channel speaker when thunder hits or large bangs hit. I looked to make sure the positive and negative wires aren't switched and they are correct.

Whats causes this popping sound?

Thanks,
    Steve

Can you give us more details on the speaker itself such as brand, model, year, etc etc. Also what are you driving it with...amp, receiver, etc.

scary huh?

I've got this on my pc soundsystem too...

my pc soundcard haves a feature called eax, this is an upmixer for stereo to surround, but when I play a surround game, and I leave the eax feature on, it also creates the popping, cracking sound, when it isn't gone then, I have to turn the volume down in the game (in options eh, not the actual volume of the speakers)

I think your problem is similar and that it is caused by overpowering the signal for the center channel input on your receiver, causing it to 'clip' (I think)

so, some things you could try: disable all upmixing effects, especially the ones that make use of the center channel alot, try to get a discrete signal, and when possible, turn down the volume of the center channel, only the center channel...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

lol, yeah, could be the amplifier clipping, or lots of other things.

Are you using a HTiB? (home theatre in a box)
    Because that would be a prime candidate for a wimpy amp that clips.

Mutant from table 9
    No, your amp is not clipping. I assume you mean the "popping" occurs when there is a loud sound effect in the program material such as a thunder clap or other loud bang.

Your center speaker is most likely bottoming out. The cone moves back and forth in a linear travel. The pop you are hearing is the voice coil (card board tube wrapped in fine copper wire) hitting the back plate of the speaker motor (magnet). That pop means you are driving the speaker with enough power and enought low frequency bass signal to exceed its physical limitations and hit that back plate. In otherwords, your going "balls deep" with your center. (How's that for a mental image?) It can cause damage to the speaker. This is why many subwoofers have a "dome" backplate or no backplate at all.

Possible solutions: Turn down the volume, turn down the bass, set your center speaker to "small" thereby limiting bass response, if your reciever has an equalizer for each channel then you can knock -6db from 63hz (i.e. again turning down the bass), or get a center speaker with more bass capability.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    No, I think he means actual thunder -- dude, you just need some power conditioning. The lightnight strike is causing a disruption in your otherwise...alright, it's not really clean power, it's actually pretty dirty, but at least it's consistenly dirty, whereas the lightning strike is singular. So it gets into your power supply, which means it gets into your amp, and it translates to the popping sound you're hearing. The better the power conditioning, the quieter the pop will get. The best is completely regenerated power.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 03-18-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hashpot
    If your talking about thunder as in a storm you should get a surge protector. If thunder is common where you live you might want to invest in a power sure protector, but it also depends how powerful of a system your running. If you do have a htib then you dont have to buy an expensive surge protecter.

I am talking about thunder in the movies or on tv that causes this popping sound. I will have to conclude that this speaker is popping because of too much power, going balls deep. Pretty sure, I noticed I had my amp turned to "LARGE" for center channel. I changed it to small and haven't hearn any popping so far.

The center channel is a Eposome brand. A friend gave it to me and said it was really high quality. I cant find the Ohm rating on it! The back just has connectors and thats it. Can you identify this speakers brand and independence? Here is a picture.

My Setup Includes...

- Yamaha HTR-5140 Receiver
    - Cerwin Vega VS12 series floor speakers
    - Eposome? Unknown Center speaker

The green circle is what I currently have my receiver switched to. The Cerwin Vegas are 4Ohm Each. Is this correct? What would happen if I put it on the other switch?

Thanks for helping me identify that speaker and answering all my questions.

I found that the center is a Eosone RSC 300 Center speaker, But still cant find the Ohm dependence for it.

superdougiefreshness
    Must be quite a shocking experience ?........lol

Mutant from table 9
    With the switch selected as it is, it is helping the amplifier "see" an 8 ohm load even though the mains are 4 ohms. If you switch it to the other setting, the amp will work fine up to a certain point. Then it will most likely overheat or trip into circuit protection. You can certainly try it. Just set the volume knob all the way to 0 or mute or its lowest setting. Then increase the volume slowly. Once you have the volume too high, then the bad things will start happening. I make no warranties regarding this process. Some guys will suggest its like Doomsday and that you will instantly destroy the reciever. I've never seen that happen. The worst I've ever seen on a modern reciever with short duration low impedence loads is the protection circuit trips and you have have to turn off and turn on the reciever again. I have seen 80s vintage amps blow their fuses.
    Long duration is another story and can harm the amp.

I don't think it matters what ohms you center channel is regardless of what the manual says. If your reciever is handling the 4 ohm CVs okay, then there should be no worries about the center.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information