Forum Regular

Panason 60U 50" Plasma

Quick question for anyone familiar with this set.When I switch between DVD and HDTV cable box sources I lose the aspect setting for TV viewing.Each time I have to reset the TV to one of the 3 ratios that allows for fullscreen on non widescreen channels.The manual didn't really touch on this so I'm concerned I can't avoid this scenario.

I thought I read here that if you change the picture settings for each input the display retains the setting for each input.I belive the Display did hold the picture settings but the TV aspect setting still had to be reset each time.Am I doing something wrong or is this all you get?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    Quick question for anyone familiar with this set.When I switch between DVD and HDTV cable box sources I lose the aspect setting for TV viewing.Each time I have to reset the TV to one of the 3 ratios that allows for fullscreen on non widescreen channels.The manual didn't really touch on this so I'm concerned I can't avoid this scenario.

I thought I read here that if you change the picture settings for each input the display retains the setting for each input.I belive the Display did hold the picture settings but the TV aspect setting still had to be reset each time.Am I doing something wrong or is this all you get?
    Check with both your DVD and HDTV cable box, and make sure they are sending the signal that you want. I know my DirecTV HD box lets me set it at either 4:3 or 16:9 and the resolution up to 1080i. Also with your DVD player, it may also have the resolution (maybe, at least "progressive", and the out put 4:3 or 16:9. That may be your problem.

Also, do you have it running through your receiver and then to 1 input on the TV or seperate inputs?

Good luck

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Check with both your DVD and HDTV cable box, and make sure they are sending the signal that you want. I know my DirecTV HD box lets me set it at either 4:3 or 16:9 and the resolution up to 1080i. Also with your DVD player, it may also have the resolution (maybe, at least "progressive", and the out put 4:3 or 16:9. That may be your problem.

Also, do you have it running through your receiver and then to 1 input on the TV or seperate inputs?

Good luck
    That's a good thought.My DVD player is the new Oppo 970 upsampling player and this is not an issue.I will definitely check my cable HD box to see if it is capable of automatically formatting the screen to the display.This issue isn't tragic but it certrainly is annoying.I'm using the Panasonic universal remote to change the aspect,and when I forget to change the remote back to cable function it changes the input and of course you lose the picture.it's a nuisance for sure.

Thread Information