View Poll Results: Best film Comic of the last 30 Years?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam Sandler - Not my cup of tea but some like him.

0 0%
  • Bill Murray - Some great work. I mean reallll funny chit

4 26.67%
  • Eddie Murphy - Can be un-even at times but when "on" he's ON!

6 40.00%
  • Richard Pryor - The king is dead... LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!

1 6.67%
  • Martin Lawrence - Pheh but we got 10 spots to fill

0 0%
  • Steve Martin - Well he did do "The Jerk"

0 0%
  • Will Ferrell - A little funny at times.

0 0%
  • Ben Stiller - He can be a dead assed riot - at times.

0 0%
  • Jim Carrey - Can be funny... sometimes...

1 6.67%
  • Robin Williams - God, how long since he's been funny

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poll: Best Film Comic Last 30 years?

Well we all need a laugh these days now don't we? Irregardless of your political, sexual, religious or racial persuasion, you have to admit the last few years have really, really, REALLY sucked. The war (take your pic), natural disasters out the ying yang, Titanny Spears and "Da Hoff". Jeeze, need a good comedian now so bad I can taste it.

So tell me, who ya like?

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Well we all need a laugh these days now don't we? Irregardless of your political, sexual, religious or racial persuasion, you have to admit the last few years have really, really, REALLY sucked. The war (take your pic), natural disasters out the ying yang, Titanny Spears and "Da Hoff". Jeeze, need a good comedian now so bad I can taste it.

So tell me, who ya like?
    Don't know if I'd call him the best in the last 30 years, but George Lopez has been cracking me up lately. Have you seen his latest stand up snippit on HBO? I thought my wife was going to laugh herself right out of bed. (ok, you're been set up nicely. whatcha gonna do now?)

Edit/ addition: OK, the choices are available now. Of what you have here, I'd have to pick Robin Williams. Not much from him lately, but over the years he has made me shoot several types of fluids from several sources on my body.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh my GAWD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't know if I'd call him the best in the last 30 years, but George Lopez has been cracking me up lately. Have you seen his latest stand up snippit on HBO? I thought my wife was going to laugh herself right out of bed. (ok, you're been set up nicely. whatcha gonna do now?)
    That's too easy... A gentleman doesn't laugh at a friends "SHORTCOMINGS"!!!!!

Da "always a genlteman, cept when he's NOT" Worfster

Sorry...

And how's that different from any OTHER night?

Sorry couldn't resissit.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    And how's that different from any OTHER night?

Sorry couldn't resissit.
    Keep'em coming. I don't mind these jokes. Baby knows the truth.
    But go back and catch my edit.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Robin Williams makes me laugh (admittedly, he hasn't been in the limelight lately), but mostly doing standup or interviews. You asked about film comics, I'd have to go with Eddie Murphy. Although Will Ferrell is definitely climbing the charts. I don't know, let me think about it.

I really wish Mitch Hedberg hadn't gone and ...well, gone.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Mutant from table 9
    Without hesitation: Eddy Murphy

If anyone saw the montage at the beginning of the Oscars last week, you know what I mean. They ran through a montage of nominees commenting on their nominations. Each nominee was before a white background shot from the waist or neck up. When they cut to Eddy, he didn't say or do anything. He just looked into the camera... and he got laughs.

Just thinking of Mr. Robinson yelling "Who is it?!" a the front door makes me crack up.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I dunno, Murphy, Prior, and Williams are all up there in my books. Murphy's probably had the better films, Prior was best on stage, and Williams, well that nutbar is just a natural born entertainer that I don't think film does justice to. Wasn't he the guy on some show some dude said something like "How do you expect me to follow that?"

Ferrell and Stiller I think are less funny but have been in some good films, I see them as being just another Owen Wilson though. Not sure how much of the film's success is directly a result of their comedic ability. Ferrell maybe, I loved Old School and his role in Wedding Crashers. Carrey's been doing too much serious stuff.

Hands down, I gotta say Mike Myers here. Shrek, Wayne's World, and Austin Powers all turned the world upside down when they came out. Don't think any of the others can say their comedy roles were as strong, as immitated, and as attributable to the comedic in question. (Murphy might be close though). Dunno, but he might be the worst one at standup of the lot, too.

I like Adam Sadler a lot, but I'll take Eddie Murphy for the poll purposes (Myers #1) because I'm a closet Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 fan to this day (among my top 10 movies to watch every year)...and that flick he did with Arsenio was wicked....

Worf, where's Tom Arnold on that list???

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood - one of my all time fave SNL bits:

[Mr. Robinson enters his apartment dressed as Santa Claus ]

Mr. Robinson: [ singing ]
    "It's a beautiful day in the neigborhood
    A beautiful day for a neighbor.
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?
    Won't you be my neighbor?"

Hello, boys and girls! You know, Christmas is a special time in Mr. Robinson's neighborhood. It's a time for giving, and look what Mr. Landlord gave me - it's an eviction notice. Well, that's why Mr. Robinson has to wear this Santa Claus suit to sneak in and out of his building. But it just isn't a disguise, boys and girls. Because, when I add this little pail here, and when I have this little bell, it becomes a small business. [ rings the bell ] Yes, Christmas is a season for giving, and for taking! And with this little operation, I figure I'll be taking on about $300-400 a day! Oh, why oh why, must Christmas come but once a year?

[ puts his stuff away ]

You know, another reason why Mr. Robinson likes Christmas so much, boys and girls, is because I have so much in common with Santa Claus. We both like to sneak into your house late at night. Only Mr. Santa Claus likes to leave things. Mr. Robinson prefers to take a few things every now and then. Let's see what I have for Christmas today. [ reaches into his sack ] Oh, look.. a little doll baby! Isn't it so cute, boys and girls? It's not worth a lot right now, but, through the miracles of modern science.. [ pulls off the head, and replaces it with a cabbage ] ..Cabbage Patch doll! Now they're worth a lot of cabbage! I could sell these to little stupid kids for about $50 each! $50 each! Can you believe that! That's why I love Christmas! And that's today's word, boys and girls. [ walks over to the word board, which has "X-MAS" written on it ] "Christ-mas". You know any other words that start with "X", boys and girls? How about.. [ flips card over to show word "X-CON" ] ..Ex-con"? [ a knock is heard at the door ] Who could that be, boys and girls?

Voice At Door: Robinson! Are you the guy that sold my kid a head of lettuce with a dress on it?!

Mr. Robinson: That reminds me of another word, boys and girls, that begins with "X" - "Ex-scape"! [ grabs his bag ] Well, I'll see you later. And remember: "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll visit you tomorrow when you're sound asleep.." [ jumps out window ] Goodbye, boys and girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Robin Williams makes me laugh (admittedly, he hasn't been in the limelight lately), but mostly doing standup or interviews. You asked about film comics, I'd have to go with Eddie Murphy. Although Will Ferrell is definitely climbing the charts. I don't know, let me think about it.

I really wish Mitch Hedberg hadn't gone and ...well, gone.

I totally agree that when it comes to stand up robin williams is gut-bustingly funny, but his movies, well they are far less than impressive. othe good stand ups would be Russel Peters.

But since this is film comics, I will have to go with Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell is hilarious in supproting roles, ie. old school. But films were is the star he just gets annoying really quick. So Eddie Murphy takes my vote.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I had to go with Bill Murray. There is just something about him that cracks me up. I know when I see his face or name on anything, that I'm gonna laugh.

I've been watching News Radio reruns lately, and Phil Hartman has to be one of the most comedic geniuses ever. He was never in a film, that I'm aware of, but I'd like to think that he could have made the transition if his life hadn't ended so tragically. For best comedian actor, Phil would have my vote.

JSE
    Over the last 30 years, Eddie and Steve Martin seem have had the largest sustained catalogue of movies. Robin Williams would come in 3rd for me. Overall though, I would have to go with Eddie with Martin being a close second. I have only seen a couple of movies by Eddie and Steve that I did not like. Nuts, Pluto Nash, Pink Panther, etc.

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I've been watching News Radio reruns lately, and Phil Hartman has to be one of the most comedic geniuses ever. He was never in a film, that I'm aware of, but I'd like to think that he could have made the transition if his life hadn't ended so tragically. For best comedian actor, Phil would have my vote.
    I agree with you. Phil was one of funniest guy and would have got my vote also. Too bad he left us so early.

He did star in a few movies that I seen such as Houseguest with Sinbad, Jingle All the Way with Sinbad and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Sgt. Bilko with Steve Martin.

For raw talent I'd go with Robin Williams every time. I've seen a LOT of stand up comics in my life (I used to go almost every weekend in the late 80s and early 90s) an I never laughed as hard or as long as when I saw Williams. He murdered me. Try to catch him in a rerun of "The Actors Studio" episode he was on because he just burned the house down on that. He is best when working without a script, or when using only a framework script and that show was 100% improvised.

Too bad his movies suck. I watched part of RV the other day on cable. I had to turn it off because it just made me sad. Pathetic.

For movies I'd probably go with Bill Murray. He had quite a run of great comedy films. Murphy is close too, tho I think he stank in movies as many times as he's been good.

Thank you for not including Jack Black.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Okay, off-list, I've thought about this, and I've have to go with John Cleese. Clockwork, A Fish Called Wanda, all the Monty Python movies...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Well, I decided to go with someone in the poll rather than go with one of my own, and that happens to be ROBIN WILLIAMS. Much like others that went with him, I felt that over the long haul he has been the most consistent with being funny and has also done a variety of work. Both on stage and on screen he is just amazing and really knows how to play to his audience and come up with some of the funniest stuff on the spot. I loved his routine for Broadway..."how gold was invented" was a hoot. Also, when he was on INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO talking about his son wanting to borrow the keys. He can morph into so many characters on cue and he's just constantly improving his craft. Also, he has been around for 30 years unlike some of the other choices, so he's a veteran and sometimes it's easy to think about the newer 'funny guys', but where will they be after 30 years?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I love Robin Williams stand-up stuff. But I haven't liked him much in movies where's he's played comedic roles. I prefer him in serious roles. He was great in One Hour Photo and Insomnia. And he did a guest spot on an old crappy TV show called L.A. Doctors. The show stunk, but he played this guy with elephant man's disease that brought tears to my eyes. That was the first time that I saw him in a serious role and it gave me a whole new respect for him as an actor.

Where's Chevy Chase in this pole? Clark Griswald? Classic.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

For poll purposes I chose Eddie, but...

...Sorry Worfster none of these guys even make my top four. I'd agree with Dusty about John Cleese and FA on P. Hartman. I even went out and bought the News Radio disc sets for Hartman's gig.

I remember when Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot first came out I got the weirdest looks from passerbyes as I sat over lunch laughing out loud to nobody in particular. Franken kills me.

I also happen to be one of the seven people in America who regularly watched Dennis Miller.

Phil Hartman was brilliant. First saw him as Captain Carl on Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Cleese is an excellent call. First rate.

The 80s was the Al Franken decade. I guess I need to pay attention, but I'm afraid that I will be politicized at.

Ditto Dennis Miller. He had me on Monday Night Football. I was the only guy in America that liked him. I still think he was the best color guy MNF ever hadt, the perfect foil for the excellent straight man, Al Michaels. Now Miller is WAY to politicized. I feel like I'm being scolded when I watch him now.

And George Carlin too. I feel like I'm being yelled at by grandpa now. Man, no one will sing his praises from his heyday more than me. I was at a show recorded as a live album and man, he really killed. But now? Cranky old man. Not funny.

Mutant from table 9
    Sorry, I don't get the appeal of Robin Williams. I remember Joe Rogan on Howard Stern claiming that everyone knows that Williams steals his jokes. I googled "Robin Williams steals jokes" and got a ton of hits. This was one of the more interesting: http://www.kempa.com/blog/archives/000108.html

As for Williams' supposed improvisation skills, freeking out and flailing about is not improv. Without his jive talking 1970s "soul bother" persona and his San Fran queen persona he would have nothing. Trafficing in hacky one dimensional stereotypes is not impersonation. Its just stupid. Phil Hartman was an impersonator, Williams is a hack.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Sorry, I don't get the appeal of Robin Williams. I remember Joe Rogan on Howard Stern claiming that everyone knows that Williams steals his jokes. I googled "Robin Williams steals jokes" and got a ton of hits. This was one of the more interesting: http://www.kempa.com/blog/archives/000108.html

As for Williams' supposed improvisation skills, freeking out and flailing about is not improv. Without his jive talking 1970s "soul bother" persona and his San Fran queen persona he would have nothing. Trafficing in hacky one dimensional stereotypes is not impersonation. Its just stupid. Phil Hartman was an impersonator, Williams is a hack.
    Now THAT'S a funny post. Williams a hack? One dimensional?
    Me thinks a little more research would change that oppinion.

Kam
    crapola i did it again! wrong vote. switch one of the votes from bill murray to eddie murphy. i thought that said bill cosby and hit it. with cosby not on the list, i'd go with murphy.
    cosby get's my unofficial vote, murphy gets my official one for raw and live on the sunset strip.

but cosby's genius in the 'jesus christ/ go**ammit' bit is one of the funniest bits and punchlines ever imo.
    /create

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster

While I can't completely agree with you, I do think Robin Williams is way way overated as a standup comedian. I just never "got" him. I actually think Williams is a better actor than standup comedian. William's mentor Jonathan Winters was a much better standup comedian than Williams will ever be. I really love watching the older masters like Winters, Corman, Conway, etc. To this day, Corman and Conway can get me gasping for air from laughing so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    While I can't completely agree with you, I do think Robin Williams is way way overated as a standup comedian. I just never "got" him. I actually think Williams is a better actor than standup comedian. William's mentor Jonathan Winters was a much better standup comedian than Williams will ever be. I really love watching the older masters like Winters, Corman, Conway, etc. To this day, Corman and Conway can get me gasping for air from laughing so hard.
    Clasics for sure.

One of my all time favorites: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/

Kam
    Clasics for sure.

One of my all time favorites: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/
    not to mention:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081376/
    and the apple dumpling gang movies... and
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074968/ and
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077698/ and
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059221/

ahhh memories....
    /create