Thread: killer fizz

AR Newbie Registered Member

killer fizz

Hi all,
    I wondered what it is that makes a pair of prefectly good speakers hooked up to a perfectly good hifi fizz, and I'm gonna assume its the cables?
    The speakers are from a different system, not the ones that came bundled with the hifi as a unit, could it be something to do with that?
    It's not like I have to turn them up before I hear it either! Its really annoying. Any advice is appreciated.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by robteach
    Hi all,
    I wondered what it is that makes a pair of prefectly good speakers hooked up to a perfectly good hifi fizz, and I'm gonna assume its the cables?
    The speakers are from a different system, not the ones that came bundled with the hifi as a unit, could it be something to do with that?
    It's not like I have to turn them up before I hear it either! Its really annoying. Any advice is appreciated.
    I assume that what you mean by "fizz" is some sort of sizzling noise that's most apparent when there is no signal (music or speech) coming out of the speakers ... correct? If that's what you're talking about, then it's most likely originating in the "perfectly good hi-fi" - NOT anywhere else. Not in the cables - not in the speakers themselves - but in the amplifier. To prove it, you must either:

a: beg, borrow, or steal another amplifier to substitute for the "perfectly good one", or
    b: beg, borrow, or steal another pair of speakers to substitute for the "perfectly good ones", or
    c: beg, borrow, or steal another pair of cables to subsitute

Or, you can just take my word for it and get the "perfectly good" amplifier repaired.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Let's take it one step at a time.

Given 1) Speakers don't produce any sound by themselves. They only REproduce what's fed to them.

Given 2) Likewise, cables don't produce any sound by themselves. They only pass signals from the previous stage to the following stage.

Conclusion... that "fizz" is originating from somewhere ahead of them. Somehow. methinks that "perfectly good amp" ain't perfectly good.

Another possibility. If they (the speakers) only "fizz" when a signal is aplied, they might be ripped or defective in some other way.

Thread Information