Forum Regular

Connections? Recevier Vs Projector

I've heard that running cable directly from the component, i.e. DVD, VCR, cable box to the projector is a better way to go than running them thru the receiver? Does anyone have any opinions on this one?

I run mine direct. That means one less thing to screw up the signal. It may make very little difference, but that's how I feel about it.
    (nevermind that my receiver doesn't have HDMI anyhow). I had all those cables run in the celing to my projector and darn it, I'm going to use them all.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yeah I like going directly to my display.

Forum Regular
    it would be ideal to run all sources to a projector if it has the jacks for it and the infrastructure is already in place, but a good receiver would make things simplier. A even better choice would be a separate processor/scaler

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I like running through my reciever because it "syncs" the audio and video feed. Before I was running my audio from my Tivo Unit through the reciever, and the video directly to the TV (in your case the projector). But I was consistantly finding that the audio was about 1/2 second behind. That was very annoying. But when I switched it all through the reciever, audio and video were once again running correctly.

Plus as an added benefit, my receiver upconverts my Tivo's S video signal to component.

And, by running through the receiver, if you ever add a piece to your system you won't have to worry about running additional wiring.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I like running through my reciever because it "syncs" the audio and video feed.
    This is the only reason i can think of to go through the receiver. That said, if you're running digitally, you're probably fine going through the receiver.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 02-22-2007 at 02:06 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

There are a few answers to this question....

First, it depends on exactly what you are doing. I know a few people who use the receiver as a upconverter if it can to go from an S-Video or composite input and then use a component output. This works well if you are connecting lots of things such as VCR's that do not have component or game systems etc, even some cable boxes. So, in that case they are very handy and it's also nice that you can use your receiver to toggle between sources and NOT have to use the TV/projector to change inputs. I have both my DVD players and my Comcast box going IN with component and OUT with component so there is no conversion, but I use it for the ease of having one remote doing everything. I hate having to use the TV remote for channing inputs.

However, if you are using a projector I would highly recommend getting an extron switcher/scaler that will allow you to maximize your picture quality at various resolutions, especially since the majority of the good scalers are now with 1080i and 1080p. At work I have a slew of projectors (mostly a few of the Sanyo HD pro wides and a few of the little Sanyo portables as well as an Eiki HD), but I am using a scaler for all of them by Extron, which makes all the difference when projecting things from DVD.

Thread Information