Thread: Babel

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Babel

Or, as I like to call it...Boresville.

We went to see this last night. I must have looked at my watch about six times to see how close we were to the end. I was bored out of my mind. Yes, the cinematography was good, the editing was great (especially the disco scene), the soundtrack also great. But overall this film left me flat. I really didn't feel anything for any of the characters, with the exception of the Mexican nanny. The concept was interesting, but nothing new.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Im glad to hear you didn't like that film either. I thought i was alone in this world not liking babel because of how the director was unable to keep it interesting beyond the first 20 minutes.

Thanks FA for suffering through this oscar worthy film.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

I third the above comments. Not sure what all the excitement is all about. If some one can enlighten me as to what is so great about this movie please share.

Forum Regular
    I wholeheartedly echo yr sentiments on this one as well, although I don't fault the direction as icarus does. I actually thought that Iņarritu did an admirable job with the leaden script... it was just a slog-fest of relentless suffering, and Autumn, you make a great point that none of the characters were very sympathetic. At least Von Trier tricks us into caring about his protagonists before he puts them through the wringer; this stuff gave the audience no emotional investment whatsoever. I don't wear a watch but it did leave me putting together a mental grocery list for much of the last hour.

It does seem like it may take home the Best Picture Oscar, though, interestingly enough. I wouldn't be surprised, either, if one of its Supporting Actress nominees steals a win. We'll see next Sunday.

-Coop

Thread Information