Thread: room accoustics

Forum Regular

room accoustics

Hi Everyone:

I am thinking of taking 2 4X8 sheets of plywood and covering them with carpet to put on the side walls of my listening room. The room is 10X12 feet. I would like to do something with the ceiling but don't know what???? For the rear wall, I am going to build a structure with dowel rods traversing horizontally the width of the wall about 5 inches apart and about 2-3 inches off the wall from floor to ceiling. My speakers will be flush against the front wall. Any other ideas, comments, suggestions? This is strictly a DIY bucget project.

Mark

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coe6688
    Hi Everyone:

I am thinking of taking 2 4X8 sheets of plywood and covering them with carpet to put on the side walls of my listening room. The room is 10X12 feet. I would like to do something with the ceiling but don't know what???? For the rear wall, I am going to build a structure with dowel rods traversing horizontally the width of the wall about 5 inches apart and about 2-3 inches off the wall from floor to ceiling. My speakers will be flush against the front wall. Any other ideas, comments, suggestions? This is strictly a DIY bucget project.

Mark

Usually you would need to have speakers away from the back wall. You may need some panels back there too.
    Looks like you are proposing a dead end, live end room.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply. What is dead end, live end? Is this the way I should go? My speakers are small, 4" woofers, 1" tweeters in 4x6 enclosure.

Forum Regular
    well for the ceiling. i would use lots of insulation, and double up on the drywall. that really cuts down the sound. "use 2, 1/2 inch sheets"

lol carpet on the walls, its going to be fun vacuuming that room huh.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coe6688
    Thanks for the reply. What is dead end, live end? Is this the way I should go? My speakers are small, 4" woofers, 1" tweeters in 4x6 enclosure.

You are planning to use sound absorbers up front. My recommendation behind the speakers too, some carpets in front of the speakers and maybe something above, is a dead end, not so much reflections. Behind the listening position where you intend the dowels woud reflect the soundfield in a random manner- the live end.

Speaker size is not the issue. The soundfield is.
    This is one way to go unless you are really into acoustic designs.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    well for the ceiling. i would use lots of insulation, and double up on the drywall. that really cuts down the sound. "use 2, 1/2 inch sheets"

lol carpet on the walls, its going to be fun vacuuming that room huh.
    This is great cutting down sound transmission above the room, not reflections back into the room, especially the higher frequencies. Using two different thickness is preferred though.
    mtrycrafts

Instead of the carpet-covered wood, I would recommend the Jon Risch DIY diffusers. No joke- they make a HUGE difference. It's spooky when you walk next to them- it's like a big black hole for sound...

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm

Thread Information