McCABE & Mrs. MILLER in HD

Not sure if anyone else is a huge fan of this brilliant Robert Altman film, but INHD has been playing this film recently and is by far the best this film has ever looked. I own the DVD, which has some serious problems in both picture and sound. The High-Def broadcast looks stunning and also sounds better as it is being broadcast in DD 5.1 instead of the poor mono on the DVD. The picture may seem a bit rough, even in HD, but the majority of that is intentional as Altman chose to shoot this film with a more rugged, gritty look.

Warren Beatty and Julie Christie are phenominal in this anti-western, which is one of three 'anti' films made during a short period of time in Altman's career. The first being MASH (the anti-war film) then McCABE (anti-western) and finally THE LONG GOODBYE, which is the anti-Noir/Neo-Noir/anti-hero film. All are equally brilliant!

I've seen this film on 35mm, semi-restored and it always had a red tinge to it that never really looked right, but the HD broadcast seems to have good color, excellent sharpness, and superb video black. I highly recommend this film and especially in this fashion!!!

I'd be interested in seeing this. That movie has always been considered a masterpiece of cinematography, but when I rented the DVD I was shocked at how murky it was. They used the wrong film stock (too slow) for the low light conditions and the film suffers from excessive grain and a lack of contrast. There are no true blacks, just lots of drop out. It's muddy and ugly.

Didn't like the movie much either. Slo-o-o-o-o-o-w. Some Altman movies are like that. Still, I'd try to watch it again with a better transfer . . .

Yes, the transfer is indeed improved and Altman certainly has a unique pace to his films, but I love this films patience and more importantly is the climax that builds in a unique fashion. The commentary on the DVD is interesting as well.

Thread Information