Forum Regular

$400. should I get Yamaha or Pioneer?

I have $400. to spend for a new receiver. My Pioneer vsx-d912k went haywire, the volume would suddenly jump by itself. Other times it would drop to a whisper. I hooked up the old Pioneer I had prior to that and now I'm looking for something new. I want great movie sound and I listen to xm radio on my directv.

I'm torn between a Pioneer 1016 and a Yamaha rvx-657 or 659. My old Pioneer let me down so I'm leaning towards Yamaha but maybe I'm being too hasty.

Any thoughts?

Pioneer!!! Not that I necessarily have anything against Yamaha...they make good pianos, but i've been more impressed with Pioneer for their longevity and biggest bang for the buck. You might be able to find a used Pioneer Elite for $400 too!

spf
    Canuck AV Nut

Smile A vote for the Yammie

Just to throw a different opinion (The piano reference was great though LOL) I would most likely choose the RXV series over the VSX series receiver you mentionned. If you were to match the Yammie against say the Elite series VSX-80TXV receiver, it would be a bit harder choice as they are both fine models. It also depends what you like to get out of your receivers. The Yamaha has some of the best DSPs in the business (I'm an advocate of not using them so this would be a moot point for me) so if you like effects, its the one to get. Hope this helps. (or at least lets you think about it).

Shane

I have owned both Pioneer and Yamahas. Either will do a fine job for many years. I wouldn't worry too much about making a huge mistake here because either way you go, you'll end up happy. You could go out and listen to them both to see what you like. But it's unlikely you'll get to here them both in the same room with the same speakers & acoustics etc.
    Check them out though. See what remote fits in your hand and works the best for you. If Pioneer left a bad taste in your mouth, go Yammie. If you loved your Pioneer, then back to the Pioneer.

Then enjoy the music and HT.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

from personal experience with the 1016, i'd go with the Yammie. At the very least, go listen to both. I feel the 1016 is harsh and the midrange is hidden and the overall sound is lackluster.

i'd listen to both before you decide.

oh yeah, i'll sell you my 1016 for cheap. Driven about 50 hours or less.

Forum Regular
    Tarheel, I think I'm with you. My last two av receivers have been Pioneers. Both have had unimpressive sound that I "got used to" over time. There's got to be better sound out there without breaking the bank.

I have some nice Triangle Titus xs speakers that I would like to hear with a better receiver. Hope you can find a buyer for your Pioneer.

I would look at the Yamaha HTR 5890 or 5960, better yet consider the Onkyo SR604 which has a nice high current amp.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Either would do alright for movies,but neitheer would be very good for music.l

bill

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have owned both Pioneer and Yamahas. Either will do a fine job for many years. I wouldn't worry too much about making a huge mistake here because either way you go, you'll end up happy.
    What he said.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

i think the 'new' amp design in the Pioneer should force people to demo in their house before just blindly buying (as i did). I have no scientific data to prove, but when researching i read alot about the new design which is a new approach from their previous amp platform.
    I've also read some negative reviews on this board and others about the lack of refined sound. I wish rick390 would demo both in his house and report back.
    It could be the speakers, but my older Denon and HK sounded much better than this 1016.

just my rant....

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i think the 'new' amp design in the Pioneer should force people to demo in their house before just blindly buying (as i did). I have no scientific data to prove, but when researching i read alot about the new design which is a new approach from their previous amp platform.
    I've also read some negative reviews on this board and others about the lack of refined sound. I wish rick390 would demo both in his house and report back.
    It could be the speakers, but my older Denon and HK sounded much better than this 1016.

just my rant....
    Have you thought of adding an external amp?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    It doesn't sound like the reciever would control it...

i agree - a pre-amp and amp (since you do not need a tuner) might be a better route (why pay for something you are not going to use, eh?)

My ignorantz, ignific, uh, stoopididity! Yeah! Stupididty prevents me from knowing if there are 5 channel amps out there.... If they dont exist - well then just ignore me.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    It doesn't sound like the reciever would control it...

i agree - a pre-amp and amp (since you do not need a tuner) might be a better route (why pay for something you are not going to use, eh?)

My ignorantz, ignific, uh, stoopididity! Yeah! Stupididty prevents me from knowing if there are 5 channel amps out there.... If they dont exist - well then just ignore me.
    It seems to me that you have a good idea. Here are just a few choices to get you started.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=10

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9

Pst.. Nice go NADS..

Forum Regular

i had have them side-by-side

FYI, I had 2 Yamahas and one Pioneer, all under $500, hooked up to an identical system with an identical cd, in the same room. I tested the Yammy 5940 with an hour of the Pioneer. And the new Yammy within 2 hours of the Pioneer. In then end though it comes down to how it sounds to you and you only. Buy it from a place that has a good return policy, then you can give them all a listen!!!

I recently purchased the Yamaha HTR-5940 and was extremely pleased with the sound quality, look, and features. The only spec it lacked was “Preamp-Out” for use with my Adcom (for 2 channel audio). Although the Yamaha HTR-5940 sounded and worked wonderfully, I wanted to use my Adcom Amp for music.

My search for a comparable receiver with “Preamp-Out” capability ended upon the discovery of the Pioneer VSX-816. The search resumed 5 minutes after listening to it. It simply sounded horrible. It was way too bright and lacked any kind of warm mid-range. Even on 2-Channel mode through the Pre-amp Out to my Adcom Amp (not using the Pioneer’s amps), it sounded decidedly “different” than the Yamaha HTR-5940 and in my opinion, much worse. I can only attribute this to the Pioneers preamp. Even with no source input and volume on mute, there was an audible hum/hiss coming from every speaker. The distortion/noise was even worse on the front channels despite their being connected to the Adcom as mentioned above.

I went back to Best Buy and returned the Pioneer. The only Yamaha they had in the sub-$500 range with Pre-Amp Outputs was the HTR-5960.

Upon getting the Yamaha HTR-5960 hooked up, and giving it a listen, the differences between the Yammy and Pioneer were immediately apparent. In fact there was no comparison between the two regardless of price difference. For those looking for a comparison between the Yamaha HTR-5940 and HTR-5960, they are virtually identical in terms of sound quality. The main differences would be 6.1 vs 7.1 and the Pre-Amp Outputs. The sound on either are very warm, with crisp highs, and tight bass. It sounded great whether on 2-channel music or Dolby Digital 5.1/PLII. There is no unacceptable noise coming from any speakers with the HTR-5960 and once again, it sounds great.

Up against the Pioneer VSX-816, there is no comparison in any way. Even with a price tag difference of $200, there is no comparison. As I have experienced, you cannot go wrong with any of the Yamahas. I have demo’ed two of the lower end Yammys with very positive results. I can only expect that it gets better as you spend more $$$s.

In conclusion, I must admit that I am an extremely discerning listener. I have exclusively used Adcom Preamps and Power Amps for 2-channel audio for the past ten years. Upon getting into Home Theater, I did not want to spend a ton of money to power the center and surround channels as I still use my Adcom for the fronts. Yamaha is the answer. Get the Yammy that fits your budget and you cannot go wrong.
    DVD/CD: Philips DVP-5960
    FRONT: Energy Pro Series 4.5
    CENTER: Energy C-C100
    SURROUNDS: Energy C-50
    SUB: Energy S8.3
    CABLES - Tara Labs Bi-Wire for Fronts
    - Monster for all other connections
    REMOTE: Sony RM-AX1400
    A/V RACK: Salamander Archetype 3.0
    HDTV: Vizio VX37L - LCD
    RECEIVER: Yamaha HTR-5960
    AMP: Adcom GFA-5300 (Front Channels)
    DVD/CD: Philips DVP-5960
    FRONT: Energy Pro Series 4.5
    CENTER: Energy C-C100
    SURROUNDS: Energy C-50
    SUB: Energy S8.3
    SPKR CABLES - Tara Labs Bi-Wire
    REMOTE: Harmony 720
    A/V RACK: Salamander Archetype 3.0

Have you thought of adding an external amp?

G,
    I thought about adding an external amp, but worried the pre has the problem and will just be there with another amp section.

Now that i think about it, when in NEO:6 or DPL IIx the rear surrounds (6 and 7 speakers) sound muddy...like they are not receiving a clear signal from the processor. I have Not checked them on digital signals like DD or DTS, but when watching tv or sports and the matrix mixes are used the sound from them is horrible.

I think i'm going to sell it and look for an older Marantz like the 7500 or 8500. I know they play well with my speakers because I demoed my fronts with a Marantz receiver at the dealer. My budget just doesn't leave me many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    G,
    I thought about adding an external amp, but worried the pre has the problem and will just be there with another amp section.

Now that i think about it, when in NEO:6 or DPL IIx the rear surrounds (6 and 7 speakers) sound muddy...like they are not receiving a clear signal from the processor. I have Not checked them on digital signals like DD or DTS, but when watching tv or sports and the matrix mixes are used the sound from them is horrible.

I think i'm going to sell it and look for an older Marantz like the 7500 or 8500. I know they play well with my speakers because I demoed my fronts with a Marantz receiver at the dealer. My budget just doesn't leave me many options.
    You may be right. No way of knowing without trying. It's a shame that you aren't enjoying your current system as much as you'd like.
    Good luck with your quest.

It seems to me that you have a good idea. Here are just a few choices to get you started.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=10

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9

Pst.. Nice go NADS..

that vincent sp-331 looks very interesting...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation