Forum Regular

Question Upgrading Projector Questions

Hi.... I am a new member in this forum and have already learned alot.

Currently I am facing a dillema as to which projector and DVD should I upgrade to.

Current System:

A/V Receiver : Pioneer VSX-AX10i
    DVD Player : Pioneer DV-S755Ai + LG DV-7821P

Projector : InFocus ScreenPlay 4800
    Screen: Da-Lite 100" (without Glass bead)

Speakers:
    Front Center : KEF XQ Two C Type SP3359...... X 1
    Front Left + Right : KEF Q7 Type SP3362..................X 2
    Back and Surround Left + Right : KEF Q1 Type SP3359 .... X 4
    Subwoofer : B&W ASW675

Speaker Cable : QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speaker cable

Component cable : Straight Wire GhostBuster Component Cable
    Composite cable : Straight Wire Composite cable

My Home Theater is 5 Meter X 7 Meter

QUESTIONS:
    1. Have I missed anything?? I have owned the above system for over 2 years now but recently feel that the system is not as good as I experienced. Sounds are still okay but Vision (image) is not as I expected before.

2. I am currently being offerred to upgrade my system's DVD Player to Denon 2930 and projector to InFocus IN76 together with QED HDMI-P Cables (10 Meters) or CHORD HDMI Silver (10 Meters).

3. Should I upgrade my DVD and Projector? Would it deliver much more better watching DVD experience? Or should I upgrade to other brand of DVD and Projector for the same amount of money?

4. I planned to buy BlueRay in the future, would the above upgrade will be compatible when I buy the BlueRay DVD Player? As I planned to buy the BlueRay when there are alot more movies around, I should expect to buy BlueRay (or HD-DVD) in the next 2 years.

5. The supplier also give me a choice of "lower" grade of the above system which consist of Denon 1930 and InFocus IN74. Does the more expensive range REALLY offer MUCH BETTER image quality than the cheaper one?

Please help as I do not want to be mis-informed by the supplier and felt be cheated as the first time I buy the Home Theater systems.

Thank you in advance.............

Hi,
    Welcome to AR.
    There are many here who will be able to give you advice. Some members are incredably knowledgable. I'm not one of those. They'll be along shortly. But till then, here is a good link for information on projectors. http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Thanks GMichael,

I didn't expect such an immediate response. I really feel welcomed here.
    And also thank you for the link. I shall definetely check those out...

Thanks and best regards....

Discovery....the InFocus you currently have is an HD projecter, the upgraded InFocus is also an HD unit. Both are 720p, so i don't believe you will gain much on video performance by upgrading to this model. The DVD player may or may not make much of a difference.
    Now, you say the audio is ok and the video is not what you remember? It sounds like you have the upgrade bug. Don't worry, it hits all of us.
    I'd recommend purchasing a higher end DVD player from someone with a great return policy. Take it home and give it a demo. THis way, you can be sure the performance is there.
    I'd also go and listen to some other speaker brands and see if that piece can help.
    Just going off of your post, i personally think your get more performance by moving to another speaker setup. Until you go BR or HD DVD, the video isn't going to improve that much. And i assume you have HD cable or Dish?
    If you decide to change your speakers, give the board a price range and size you require and we can help.
    Another thought, check into hiring a professional come to your home and calibrate your projector. I believe they are in the $300-600 range and as i understand this can make a huge performance increase and would be cheaper than an upgrade.

Forum Regular
    Hi Tarheel_

I really appreciate the feedback from you. As I live in Indonesia, there are not much professional in my town that REALLY understand this hi tech without the desire to SELL you their products. And alas, there are no shops here are willing to let you bring home one piece of DVD player let alone an IN76 for us to try them.

Even as today, the DVD player and the IN76 have to be ordered and paid in half before we can even try them. Sad.... Doesn't it?

That's why I need so much information before I decided to pay the deposit for them to order them. I would really appreciate if anybody who uses this DVD players and/or IN76 to give their opion or user reviews. Thanks...

Another thing, I think my current projector is not an HD equipment as I understand the max resolution for ScreenPlay 4800 is 480p and IN76 is 1048p???? Please advice....

Thank you for repplying....

projectorcentral.com has the 4800 listed as "Compatibility: HDTV: 1035i, 1080i, 720p
    576p".
    I may be wrong, but it says 720p, which is full HD in the USA. The 576p is the non HD DVD standard.

Since a professional is out of the question, can you get your hands on a calibration disc DVD? Like AVIA or the like? THese are inexpensive and may help with your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    projectorcentral.com has the 4800 listed as "Compatibility: HDTV: 1035i, 1080i, 720p
    576p".
    I may be wrong, but it says 720p, which is full HD in the USA. The 576p is the non HD DVD standard.

Since a professional is out of the question, can you get your hands on a calibration disc DVD? Like AVIA or the like? THese are inexpensive and may help with your picture.

Compatibility is not the same as native. The 4800 is listed as "Native: 800x600 Pixels."
    Compatability means that it will take an HD signal as input. But it will scale it down to the native res before output.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    576p".

The more I read about Projectors, the more I got confused. The more confused I am, the more careful I am going to decide which system should I upgrade. Which is good thing compared to the fisrt time I bought the system that I only TRUST the selller's opinion. Hahahaha....

Where could I get this calibration DVD? Does anyone have any download link that I can download and burn to DVD or do I have to buy the original DVD? If so, where to buy and what brand is the best? I have never have my system calibrated before.

Thank you....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Compatibility is not the same as native. The 4800 is listed as "Native: 800x600 Pixels."
    Compatability means that it will take an HD signal as input. But it will scale it down to the native res before output.
    If I am to buy an IN76, which native is 1280 x 720 (as I believe), would it drastically improve my video resolution? Or maybe just too un small of the difference that I would only can differentiate in closer look?

My viewing distance is around 5 Meters from the couch to the screen (I don't know in feet).

Thank you......

Thread Information