Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

MSMW: Out Louder

I was walking through a brick-n-mortar store for the first time in a while and saw a bunch of stuff that caught my eye. This was one of them.

Medeski, Scofield, Martin, & Wood: Out Louder

So, I’ll pretty much buy anything that MMW put out. They’re a jazz, jam, experimental trio (keyboard, bass, drum) with a heavy dose of funk and groove that can get you tapping…or lose you in a sonic mayhem. Either way, it’s good to me. John Scofield is a jazz guitarist whose been around a while both solo and with many greats (Miles Davis, e.g.), but I don’t think I have anything he’s been on except for a recent album, Uberjam which is a sonic trip in itself.

Now they’re together. Apparently, on an album I have to get now, John Scofield’s A Go Go (1998), MMW backed Scofield and it was well regarded.

Out Louder is pretty good too. I would characterize it mostly as MMW with another instrument added. That’s not entirely fair, because Scofield certainly brings a different character to some tracks more than others. I think this four-way thing works well and the album surveys the stylistic repetoir. There’s a slow simple rendition of the Beatle’s Julia, There’s a very funky fun intro piece that you can’t help tap to, Little Walter Rides Again, some bossa-inspired rythyms, some fast jams, and a 12 min jam/improv Down the Tube that is great. I was trying to pick a representative sample piece to upload, it’s not easy. Little Walter, and Down the tube are probably the stand out bits. Scofield (to my naïve Scofield ears) melds well but doesn’t really push as hard and abandon himself to the noise and groove like MMW can. But on the other hand he adds a welcome melodic element.

So basically, I think the album is easy to enjoy, pretty good and certainly holds promise for the quartet. It’s a bit of a survey of styles. There’s potential for this new group to really do something great. This album works well, has some great tracks, but still seems to me like a good beginning rather than a great album. They’re touring now; I hope a second album follows.

And since I seem to have come to good beginnings, here’s the first track…

Little Walter Rides Again

3 downloads.

Just as a suggestion...I think a download should obligate one to leave a post-listen comment. :-)

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I already have this album, it's great.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I had A GO-GO

It was good. I like MMW, but I feel that they need a 4th person. I like alot of "busy-ness". I'm downloading now, will give my impression when I get a chance to listen.

The verdict is....

If you like this song, go buy A Go-Go NOW!!!! Although it's similar, A Go-Go is more funky or maybe energetic or upbeat or something, but definately has this type of feel to it.
    Looks like I'll be buying this album. I think it's a good tune.

Yeah, the reviews I read said that this track was pretty much the direct love-child of A Go Go. I'll have to bump it up on my wish list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I have and like both. I would think that if you liked one, you'd like the other (but I've been wrong before).
    Doing the time warp again. I posted that last after reading this ^^

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I have and like both. I would think that if you liked one, you'd like the other (but I've been wrong before).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information