Thread: upgrade time

upgrade time

Its getting to that time were im gonig to upgrade. This will be spread out over a few years. So im looking into high end audio but im going to but it peice by peice. my question is, what should be upgraded first, pre amp or amp?
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Forum Regular
    I f you are going to upgrade everything,start with speakers and go from that starting point,it will make the most difference.If it is just those two pieces you are looking at then

I am in the same boat as you are.I want to start down the road to separates from a reciever and am uncertain about what to do first.
    I currently have a pre/pro at home now and i must say it is very nice,an Anthem avm-30,and it makes a large difference in my system.Movies are far more spacious and smoother.Music has great punch and a wonderful soundstage.The unit is very flexible in set up and seems to be able to do just about anything i need it to.Even makes tv sound better.
    It is winning me over in a big way.

bill

My initial thought was to do the speakers first, but the speakers I currently don't have enough saved for them. The speakers im looking at are the Sonus Faber Cremona series. So basically im gonig to start with the electronic side of it and work my way to the end.

what do you presently own?
    what is your goal?
    what is your price range overall...
    do you want a $5k upgrade, $10k upgrade...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

I currently own very old JVC amp/pre amp, as for upgrading i am looking at the:
    Classe CP 500 Pre amp
    Classe CA 5100 Amplifier

so basically I my question, since I won't be buying them simultaneously, in which order would best benefit me. I am currently using the Jamo 875 speakers with a long term power handling of 150 and short term of 220.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Tough call -- flip a coin?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Icarus,

Dude!!! From JVC/Jamo to Classe/Sonus Faber??? Now that is a major undertaking! That's like going from dating Olive Oyle to Jessica Rabbit. Good luck with that!

I don't think it really matters which component you buy first. I found in my tinkering with upgrades over the years that the speakers make the biggest difference. With electronics, sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference -- at least in terms of sound -- between a $500 rig, and a $2500 rig. But you can almost always tell the difference between a pair of $500 speakers and a $2500 pair. The difference really can be night and day. If you can get the Cremonas first (which sell for around $5800 used). start there.

But if you are deadset on getting the components, start with the amp. In reviewing aftermarket sales, I notice that the price of amps tend to remain fairly steady, while the prices for preamps tend to drop more rapidly. If you wait, you can probably get the CP 500 for much cheaper than you originally budgeted.

Not only that, but if at any point you find your plans/finances change, or if some new industry advent comes along, the amp will be the least of the two units impacted. An amp is an amp is an amp.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com