Forum Regular

Will this over heat? *PICS inside

My reciever looks so big that I nearly have any space to slide my DVD on top. Is it okay if I put the reciever in the the draw? As you can see in the pics there are vents in the draw ( inside and outside )

P.S Is it possible to connect some sort of infared wire so I can still use my remote?

Last edited by pekopeeus; 02-04-2007 at 05:31 AM.

You want to put the DVD player in the drawer? You could probably do that but I would open the drawer when you are using it. Plus, as you mentioned, you are going to lose your remote function and it looks like the drawer would not be deep enough to allow the DVD drawer to open. I would reconfigure you cabinet. Is there enough room to set the receiver and player next to each other? If not, maybe time for a new cabinet. To me, components in a drawer would not be acceptable.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SAEA501
    You want to put the DVD player in the drawer? You could probably do that but I would open the drawer when you are using it. Plus, as you mentioned, you are going to lose your remote function and it looks like the drawer would not be deep enough to allow the DVD drawer to open. I would reconfigure you cabinet. Is there enough room to set the receiver and player next to each other? If not, maybe time for a new cabinet. To me, components in a drawer would not be acceptable.
    Thanks for the feedback, What I want to do is to put the reciever in the drawer. Not the DVD. I can manage to fit both units in that cabinet. I just can't touch the buttons on the DVD since the gap is very very minimal. Is it OKAY if I remove the stands on the bottom of the reciever? Yes, I can fit both units next to each other but it looks ugly imo.

Ok, so let me get this straight...

It is ugly to have the units next to one another, so the only solution is to put the receiver inside the drawer? That seems completely backwards to me as functionality of the units should be dominant over how they look.

Even if the drawer has vents, most receivers require or at least recommend an 8inch of clearance on the top.

Forum Regular
    If I put the DVD on top of the reciever I get very very little ventilation, almost no ventilation but it will fit. Another thing, my my cabinet kind of bend a little due to the heavy weight reciever.

Mutant from table 9
    Why not put the DVD player on the shelf above the AVR? It would be right below the TV then. That should look okay, plus there is already a cable cutout hole?

The drawer idea is just bad. I've seen drawers to used to house things like a cassette deck, but not the AVR. Plus you're going to have all sorts of cable problems putting the AVR in a drawer.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    You don't want to put the receiver in the drawer, and you don't want to put anything on top of it that would restrict airflow. If you can't put the receiver and DVD player side by side (which might restrict side airflow to the receiver, then maybe just try putting the DVD player on the top shelf just under the TV. This isn't about looks, this is about keeping your equipment from having a meltdown.

off topic question... is this a dorm room?
    one of mine looked like that ;o)

on topic...
    agreed, place the dvd player just under the tv...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

yes, put it under the tv, or next to the receiver.

What do you choose: "ugly" or broken?

sometimes, you can't have it all...
    placing the dvd player on top of the receiver, will make it overheat.
    putting the receiver in the draw, will overheat it, will constantly make your cables come loose, and will most likely make you lose most of your functions.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    okay guys, I'll put the DVD on the shelf instead of putting on the reciever.

Thanks guys!

Do you own the stand that you're putting the equipment on? if so then I'd suggest taking out the drawer and creating a shelf in it's place.... should be cheap and would be functional...

if it's not something you own l(ike a built-in in a dorm room)... then you could still remove the drawer (just don't throw it away) and place a piece of board/tray in it's place to create a shelf....

Forum Regular
    it is my own studio. if I remove the drawer it looks very ugly since the colour is all different. As you can see in the pics both sides are my closet.

I will be adding bose cube speakers on the circled area

I really don't have any space! So I want to make anything look as clean as possible

Forum Regular
    Need to decide,look good or sound good,often you cannot do both.

bill

Forum Regular
    what do you guys think of the speaker placements? or shoudl I go wider on the front two speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by pekopeeus

I will be adding bose cube speakers on the circled area
    1) place dvd player on top self in center circle
    2) place receiver on shelf under dvd player shelf
    3) suggest auditioning more cost efficient speakers and widen the stance...
    4) place more cost efficient center channel ontop or next to dvd player (pending dvd player's venting, and speakers mass)
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    thanks

are you suggesting me not to get bose? i can't find any other satalite here in Taiwan.

sorry, I am not familar with audio stores in Taiwan,

Reason I suggested auditioning other speakers is I have compared hk's, optimus, and onkyo satalites to bose, and personally found all of these to be more musical than the bose imo...
    also, they all did cost less than bose cubes.
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Let's all hope the "Blose" cubes overheat and melt.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I'm still waiting on the answer of what type of living quarters this is? For a dorm room or even a bachalor pad it is very nice and well designed. I could see from some of the other pics that the frig even had a cut out to sit in. One more question? What is HDAM, I saw this on the front of the AVR, at first glance I thought it was HDMI, but after looking again i saw it was not.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I'm still waiting on the answer of what type of living quarters this is? For a dorm room or even a bachalor pad it is very nice and well designed. I could see from some of the other pics that the frig even had a cut out to sit in. One more question? What is HDAM, I saw this on the front of the AVR, at first glance I thought it was HDMI, but after looking again i saw it was not.
    It is an apartment. It's a studio. Thanks for the comment. HDAM I have no clue what that is

What do you guys think of orb speakers??!?!!

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pekopeeus
    What do you guys think of orb speakers??!?!!
    I've heard pretty good things and that they most definitely outperform Bose. If I needed a small speaker and wanted something stylish I'd chose them over Bose (I never found Bose speakers that attractive anyway).

2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Thread Information