Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My All Time Favorite Films..

Ok, everyone has movies that they love and movies that they hate. It's hard for me to narrow down my favorite films, so I often have to ask myself which films I could watch anytime no matter what. These are movies that I would not want to live without.

What are 10 movies you can't live without????

In no particular order mine are:

CONTEMPT (1963)

This is by far my favorite Jean Luc Godard film for several reasons. It's such a great tribute film to the medium itself, it also stars Jack Palance and Fritz Lang and of course Brigitte Bardot and has a terrific climax. Beautiful true technicolor and gorgeous cinematography as well as an aching score by Georges Delarue. A must see for any true film lover!!!

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)

Without a doubt one of the greatest works of Science Fiction and a film that gets better with age. Shot in Superpanavision 70mm with little dialogue, incredible special effects, and some of the best classical music with images that are so striking and imitated. The film has so many levels of genius happening, including the usage of birthdays. Brilliant.

SULLIVANS TRAVELS (1941)

Easily the funniest movie or at least one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and it is so witty and genius at the same time. Preston Sturges helmed this masterpiece of comedy starring Joel McCrea and the beautiful Veronica Lake, who is so awesome in this film it should be required viewing!

BARRY LYNDON (1975)

Yes, another Kubrick film, but this is clearly one of the greatest authentic films ever made. It's such a gorgeous low-key film that beautifully captures the era with the flat appearance, muted colors, and superb natural lighting. The costumes are also so authentic that this is usually a reference point for a period piece. As with most Kubrick films...many imitators to follow, none succeeded. Awesome collection of classical pieces again and The Chieftains "Women of Ireland" is well suited.

THE NAKED KISS (1964)

I just love Sam Fuller films, they are so pulp and odd, yet daring and cool. This is my favorite and the twist in this film is so crazy!!! Great acting, brilliant black and white photography.

THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998)

The Coen Bros. have made so many awesome movies, but this one just gets better and better the more I see it and the more I pick up on the little nuances and also deeper themes of the film. Incredible performances by everyone involved here and I still laugh so hard everytime I see Walter throw the ashes onto The Dude....hysterical!

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)

I love westerns and it's hard to pick a favorite, but I have seen this one the most because there is something so captivating about it. I love the music and I love the pace of this revenge story. This is also one of my favorite Henry Fonda performances, who manages to play the bad guy role quite well.

REAL GENIUS (1985)

It's no suprise that I am a huge fan of this film and it's much wittier than most write it off as. Such a brilliant film deep down, cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond and Val Kilmer's finest moments.

[IMG]http://www.goldgaber.com/yh/gr/ph_real_genius.jpg[/IMG]

12 MONKEYS (1996)

As much as I loved BRAZIL, this is still my favorite Terry Gilliam film and one of the greater works of science fiction in recent years. A film that gets better with each viewing and the best film Bruce Willis has his name attached to.

NOTORIOUS (1946)

It's nearly impossible to pick just one of Alfred Hitchcocks films, but suprisingly my favorite is one of his British films and usually not nearly as popular as the likes of PYSCHO, VERTIGO, THE BIRDS, etc etc. However, it is in this suspense thriller starring the great Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman that I find the most refuge.

Last edited by PeruvianSkies; 02-02-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've seen quite a few of those films, and although I cite only one as one of my favourites (2001: A Space Odyssey), I do very much like the others that I've seen (Big Lebowski, 12 Monkeys, etc.). I'll have to check out the remaining.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

The Big Lebowski is definately one of my Favs.

I must totally be out of it considering i have only see one of your greatest movies... hoooray big labowsky
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Forum Regular

Favorite Movie

Surviving The Game - ICE-T, RUTGER HAUER.

Wow, try to post smaller images! My browser is maxed out.

You picked some great moves there.

"Sully's Travels" is pretty fun, but I think for Sturgess I'd pick "Palm Beach Story." Know what tho? I prefer Frank Capra to Sturgess almost every time. "You Can't Take it With You", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "It Happened One Night", "Mr. Deeds", "Lost Horizon" are all better than any Sturgess film.

2 Kubrick picks and no "Dr. Strangelove"? Kubrick was best when he used a little humor and irony. That movie is still timeless to me. It's relevant. Barry Lyndon puts me to sleep every time I watch it.

Can't argue the Lebowski pick out of all the Coen movies. That movie just gets better every time I watch it. Still, "Raising Arizona" and "Fargo" give it a run for the money.

For Western I'd go with "Deadwood" every time. If it HAS TO be a theatrical film, then "Unforgiven" gets my vote.

Notorious? Really? Hitch made SO MANY great films, I can't imagine a personal top 10 list without "North By Northwest" on it.

I like movies too much to make lists like this. But I can't imagine not having "Apocalypse Now", "Godfather 2", "Pulp Fiction" and "Blade Runner" on it.

Forum Regular
    1. It's A Wonderful Life (Still holds up 60 years later. I still hear or see new things each year..."Old man Potter is the richest and meanest man in Bedford Falls"...)

2. Silverado (There are a lot of great westerns but this is my favorite)

3. 2001 A Space Oddesy (The first space movie that moved me)

4. The Graduate (I'm actually in this movie, did not know at the time how important it would be)

5. Easy Rider (You'd be surprised at the lack of dialogue, cult film reflected the times)

6. The Natural (lots of sports films but this one still brings goose bumps at the end)

7. Raders Of The Lost Ark (The opening sequence will cause you to empty your jumbo popcorn bucket)

8. The Last Emperor of China (Spectacular)

9. Memiors Of A Geshia (there is beauty in every scean with a story to match)

10. Riding Giants and Step Into Liquid (tie) these are companions/brothers that must be viewed together. Nether is better thant the other they are the best of this type film....Endless Summer Parts 1 and 2 are in a catagory all by them selves.

NOTORIOUS is one of the most glorious looking black and white films and the chemistry between Bergman and Grant is sensational. What I love about the movie are the things that you don't get to see, but rather what is implied, which is what makes this film work so well. Hitchcock is commonly known as the master of suspense, but what makes distinguishes himself amongst so many others is his inept ability to take the viewer to a place that is far more suspenseful than anything else...your own imagination.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tahitijack
    10. Riding Giants and Step Into Liquid (tie) these are companions/brothers that must be viewed together. Nether is better thant the other they are the best of this type film....Endless Summer Parts 1 and 2 are in a catagory all by them selves.
    I thought "Riding Giants" was much better than "Step into Liquid". Both have great footage for sure, but Stacy Peralta's style is enough to elevate "Riding Giants" beyond "surf Film" to great documentary. I think of "Step into Liquid" as a pretty good "Surf Video".
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    ...distinguishes himself amongst so many others is his inept ability to take the viewer to a place that is far more suspenseful than anything else...your own imagination.
    I think you meant "inate", not "inept". "Inept ability" is an oxymoron.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Yes, that is what I meant and I also realize looking at my list that I forgot a key title ...ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO's NEST....how could I forget that?? Arggg.

Forum Regular

Favorite Movies!

Nice selection! You can't go wrong with any Kubrick films in my opinion although there are a few I haven't seen.

No particular order here- I don't even know if I am capable of that. This is hard!

The Shining (Jack is classic! Definetely favorite horror film)

Office Space (Mike Judge)

Hoosiers (David Anspaugh, Gene Hackman, classic!)

The Godfather (Francis Fod Coppola, Mario Puzo, Pacino, Duvall, J. Caan, Brando, need I say more)

Lord of the Rings-Fellowship of the Ring (JRR Tolkien, Peter Jackson, My personal favorite of the 3 films, I absolutely love introduction to the Shire and the development and formation of the Fellowship in this Epic)

Star Wars- The Empire Strikes Back

Matrix- (Wachowski Brothers)

Heat- (Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors excluding some of his more recent films including Ali and Collateral)

Groundhog Day- (Favorite comedian and I equally appreciate him in Stripes, Caddyshack, Lost In Translation, What About Bob?, Scrooged, Ghost Busters, Kingpin, The Royal Tenenbaums)

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation- (Chevy Chase at his best- Fletch also rules)

Somewhat of a modern list of recent films but is what is coming to mind at the time.

Lew

Forum Regular

Reading

Quote Originally Posted by lewburgh
    Nice selection! You can't go wrong with any Kubrick films in my opinion although there are a few I haven't seen.

No particular order here- I don't even know if I am capable of that. This is hard!

The Shining (Jack is classic! Definetely favorite horror film)

Office Space (Mike Judge)

Hoosiers (David Anspaugh, Gene Hackman, classic!)

The Godfather (Francis Fod Coppola, Mario Puzo, Pacino, Duvall, J. Caan, Brando, need I say more)

Lord of the Rings-Fellowship of the Ring (JRR Tolkien, Peter Jackson, My personal favorite of the 3 films, I absolutely love introduction to the Shire and the development and formation of the Fellowship in this Epic)

Star Wars- The Empire Strikes Back

Matrix- (Wachowski Brothers)

Heat- (Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors excluding some of his more recent films including Ali and Collateral)

Groundhog Day- (Favorite comedian and I equally appreciate him in Stripes, Caddyshack, Lost In Translation, What About Bob?, Scrooged, Ghost Busters, Kingpin, The Royal Tenenbaums)

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation- (Chevy Chase at his best- Fletch also rules)

Somewhat of a modern list of recent films but is what is coming to mind at the time.

Lew
    I think that the online world has actually brought books back. People are reading because they're reading the damn screen. That's more reading than people used to do.
    Bill Murray

Swordfish
    Basic
    American Wedding
    The 13th Warrior
    A Knight's Tale
    The Sum of all Fears
    Enemy of the State
    Master and Commander
    National Treasure
    The Exorcist
    TV: LG 50PC3D plasma tv
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
    DVD: Philips DVP5960
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12
    Remote: Harmony 659

National Treasure -- really?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

All Time Favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiWinters
    Swordfish
    Basic
    American Wedding
    The 13th Warrior
    A Knight's Tale
    The Sum of all Fears
    Enemy of the State
    Master and Commander
    National Treasure
    The Exorcist
    Out of all the films made in the past 100 + years these are your favorites? I'm a bit surprised since the only film on this list that is over 10 years of age is THE EXORCIST. Not that age has to do with everything, but the list seems to have some odd choices like AMERICAN WEDDING (instead of AMERICAN PIE) or BASIC, which I thought there wasn't a soul in the world that enjoyed that film. NATIONAL TREASURE also was a mix and THE SUM OF ALL FEARS was incredibly poor out of all the Jack Ryan films, I would have thought HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER or PATRIOT GAMES would have been placed above this film. A KNIGHTS TALE was also a film that I thought no one really liked, let alone loved.

So I am not 'dissing' your list, just thought it was a bit different with some unlikely choices in there, i'd be curious as to what you liked about these films.

I have one and only one credo when watching a movie "entertain me". That is it. I do not look for hidden meanings nor try to figure out what the writers, producers or directors were trying to do.
    The Exorcist scared the hell out of me the first time I watched it and still does today...gives me shivers...probably my Catholic upbringing. American Wedding is my favorite of them all...basically the dance scene in the gay bar, bachelor party scene, groom shaving his hair scene, blow job scene, banging grandma scene, saving the wedding scenes, etc. just a lot of enjoyment for me. Basic was interesting. I liked the "setup" scheme to trap the drug smuggler. I liked how the woman did not crumple but got stronger and angrier as the movie went on. The end scene in the bar was a bit predictable but enjoyable for me. National Treasure was just fun to watch and I do not tire of watching it for no other reason. The Sum of all Fears was intriguing to me. I liked the behind the scenes activity on both sides. I liked how the Americans were interested in the mundane things that had an impact in one form or another. I liked "The backdoor" even if it is probably made up but actually who really knows. I liked the end scene with the engagement gift. A Knight's Tale was a funny movie. I liked the parody. It is more of a spoof than a real movie. The music was funny especially how they made it fit the scenes. Chaucer "trudging" in the nude was hilarious and losing his clothing to a gambling loss was funny too. I liked the scene trying to teach him to dance and the fighting. I liked the "smith" scenes especially when she thought he was demeaning her because she was a woman and he replied it was because she was a lousy "smith"...the Nike "Swoosh" was silly but funny and fit with the spoof atmosphere.

Hunt for Red October was good when not boringly ovedone.
    Patriot Games was good but just another of a same genre to me...possibly because I have some "insiderness" of the reality of such things in the past and chuckled over some of it...yes I know there is no such word as insiderness but I enjoyed using it.

I could have named many other favorites but those hit me when scanning my collection. I probably could have added 20 more that I would consider favorites. Taste is individual and acquired. I do not feel "dissed" and generally pay no attention at all to those that rate movies professionally. I make up my own mind and enjoy what I enjoy for varied reasons and sometimes depending on the mood I am in.
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12

Fair enough...I do not discount people who want to be 'entertained' with movies. That is one of their sole functions. When the motion picture was first invented it was merely a medium to entertain people, then it became a tool for learning, and then was an artistic canvas for expression, which later became a reflection of life and all of this was happening at such a fast pace, mainly pre-1930's. Each country was then learning how to identify itself through the use of motion as well, with German Expressionism and Russia was using it for Political purposes, as was Germany. It's amazing how this single medium can be used for so many facets, but in the more recent years has been dumbed down to the point where people only want it to entertain them. There is nothing wrong with that, but I personally feel that it has more to offer and I love people mezmerized by celluloid in intellictual, spiritual, emotional, and physical ways. If my only purpose for seeing a 2 hour film is for it to make me forget about the world, than that's fine, but I am still going to have to face the world again when my 2 hours is up, now if a movie can give me something more to help me think, feel, or be a better person than it has accomplished much. Sometimes movies are just inspirational and sometimes they are done with such excellence and excellence inspires people. When movies are done poorly it makes you feel like you wasted your time and that the people making the movie are so ignorant that they can pass off garbage to you and you are still willing to waste money on it. We should feel offended when a movie does not meet the mark, yet we go on our merry way. There was a time when Hollywood was in high-demand for high quality product and it shows...look at the history of movies and the classic era of movies...sure there were a few films here and there that were not excellent, but there were also a huge number of movies that were top notch being turned around constantly.

let me put these in catogory's

Drama/suspense:
    Spy Game
    The Recruit
    Inside man
    Training Day
    War:
    Black Hawk down
    Apocalypse now
    Full Metal Jacket
    Fantasy:
    LOTR series
    SciFi:
    Star wars series
    Matrix series
    Comedy:
    Super Troopers
    American Pie series
    Western:
    The good, the bad and ugly
    Wild bunch
    Sports:
    Remember the titans
    Cinderella man
    Glory Road
    Action/thriller:
    Mission impossible series
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Good Idea...

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    let me put these in catogory's

Drama/suspense:
    Spy Game
    The Recruit
    Inside man
    Training Day
    War:
    Black Hawk down
    Apocalypse now
    Full Metal Jacket
    Fantasy:
    LOTR series
    SciFi:
    Star wars series
    Matrix series
    Comedy:
    Super Troopers
    American Pie series
    Western:
    The good, the bad and ugly
    Wild bunch
    Sports:
    Remember the titans
    Cinderella man
    Glory Road
    Action/thriller:
    Mission impossible series
    I enjoyed a few of your selections. I definitely think that THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY is a great western as is THE WILD BUNCH, but I also loved ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and I would say that those are the only two films near it in scope. Those three are a potent trio for sure.

I also enjoyed SPY GAME, BLACK HAWK DOWN, FULL METAL JACKET, and CINDERELLA MAN, and of course APOC NOW. I would probably have to add a few more recent films in there as well. So, here is my list of recent films worthy of my favoritism...

RONIN
    THE LAST SAMURAI
    BLADE
    SEVEN
    DOWN WITH LOVE
    ALI
    MIRACLE
    MAGNOLIA
    SECONDHAND LIONS
    ROAD TO PERDITION
    FROM HELL
    OPEN RANGE
    FAR FROM HEAVEN
    WINDTALKERS
    THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE
    DONNIE DARKO
    DANGEROUS LIVES OF ALTAR BOYS
    THE WEATHER MAN
    WAKING LIFE
    CECIL B. DEMENTED
    THE BIG LEBOWSKI
    and ADAPTATION

They've been making movies for longer than 10 years guys. North by Northwest and a trainload of other movies are better suspense/dramas than stuff like Spy Game, The Insider or Training Day. Get out there and see some of the classics.

Everybody KNOWS the best sports film of all time was Caddyshack. Get with it, man!

Windtalkers is like a 50s John Wayne war movie. (It's also a euphemism for farting at my house) Honestly, that movie is SO corny. Why is everyone that shoots at Cage such a bad shot? Cage never runs out of bullets. The CGI is bad. It's just unrealistic to the point of sillyness. Rent Band of Brothers.

The wideness of this thread gives me a headache. Don't post such W I D E images in the threads! Peru, can you fix that?

Troy I had to watch most of those classic as you put it in college (film class), I'm sorry but most of them I could not identify with like some of the ones I had on my list. and you left one out Citizen Cane..............rose bud....rose bud......rose bud! or better yet how about Birth of a Nation that was a real barn burner. Most of the movies on my list mirror parts of my life. I was a U.S. Marine for 9 years, a Cop for 10 years, played sports all my life ( I golf now days) and caddy shack would have fell under comedy and not sports. So I can appreciate the old classic, but they just don't fit my life style.
    Last edited by recoveryone; 02-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

CITIZEN KANE is without a doubt the most advanced film ever made. It's technically one of the most innovative films ever made in an era when technique was limited. Without this film we would not have many of the modern innovations and styles. The importance of this film alone is unprecedented, let alone the narrative, which is also as challenging as it is detailed and uncompromising. If you know the story behind Hearst and Welles, you will appreciate the film even more as well as if you actually know what "Rosebud" really stands for. I recommend the following to assist you in your understanding of this masterpiece of cinema:

Check out: THE CAT'S MEOW, RKO 281, and THE BATTLE OF CITIZEN KANE.

Wow perhaps I misunderstood your thread. I thought it asked for our "favorite" films/movies. Perhaps I was mistaken and you were/are looking for people's favorite movies that are similar to your tastes and you offend those whose tastes differ.
    You must also be a highly educated and experienced film critic making my lack of education and high brow experience significantly lacking and my choices therefore without merit.
    Were it made clear that such standards were in place and expected I would not have participated and certainly will not in the future.
    I did not dis nor offend you for your choices, nor will I, and I thank you for your respectful treatment of my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiWinters
    Wow perhaps I misunderstood your thread. I thought it asked for our "favorite" films/movies. Perhaps I was mistaken and you were/are looking for people's favorite movies that are similar to your tastes and you offend those whose tastes differ.
    You must also be a highly educated and experienced film critic making my lack of education and high brow experience significantly lacking and my choices therefore without merit.
    Were it made clear that such standards were in place and expected I would not have participated and certainly will not in the future.
    I did not dis nor offend you for your choices, nor will I, and I thank you for your respectful treatment of my choices.
    Hey, you're being sarcastic.

Look Kai, instead of whining about feeling inferior, why don't you just learn more about movies if you love them so much that you want to spend time on a movie message board? In a way, I envy you because you have yet to discover some great movies.

You guys are too sensitive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information