Surround Sound Formats

With the recent thread about THX, I decided to set up a thread to discuss the different formats. To attempt to clear up what the differences are.

Dolby Pro Logic
    Dolby Pro Logic provides left, center, and right front channels and a single surround channel. However, Pro Logic is a "matrix" format with a certain amount of channel-to-channel leakage. This flaw is not audible under most circumstances. Pro Logic is still used to decode the audio Portions of Many Videotapes and NTSC TV broadcasts.

Dolby Pro Logic II
    This is a very sophisticated update of Pro Logic's matrix approach to surround sound. It adds stereo surround capabilties so it can call it a 5.0 faormat and it features greater channel seperation. Pro Logic II includes two modes, both a movie, and a music mode, thus making it a very suitable surround application.

Dolby Digital
    This is the original 5.1 format. It is discrete in that channel-to-channel seperation is in total, an important consideration when trying to locate the origin of specific portions of movie sountracks. Dolby Digital accounts for the majority of all multi-channel software available today.

DTS
    This Dolby competitor initially promised superior sound because it used less digital
    compression to convey sound from the dubbing stage (where movie soundtracks are made) to your home. Recent comparisons have proven these claims difficult to defend, especially with DVD, which uses a more compressed version of the original DTS format.

Dolby Digital EX
    A Dolby Digital variant, EX adds a third surround channel to Dolby
    Digital’s two. This extra channel (called Center Back or Surround Rear, depending on who
    you ask) is not discrete but is matrixed onto the stereo surround information. Technically,
    that makes it a “5.1+” format but is commonly – though erroneously – referred to as a
    “6.1” format. It gives the sound engineer a more complete audio palette from which to
    construct a convincing sense of directionality for surround information. You need Dolby
    Digital EX encoded software, an EX decoder, and an extra rear speaker (or speaker pair)
    to enjoy the sonic benefits.

THX
    It’s not a surround sound format at all even though it is often confused with one.
    THX is a set of standards and technologies designed to make a home theater sound more
    like a movie theater. As such, it deals with audio signals only after they’ve already been
    decoded. While generally accepted as legitimate for movie soundtrack reproduction, THX
    has inspired some controversy in audiophile circles where it is said to compromise music
    reproduction.

So I think I've got it all pretty well covered, and I hope that this is very informative, and if any of this is worng please correct me.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Thanks for the informative post

But.. what about newer formats such as Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-ES, and DTS-HD?

You may want to include things such as SDDS or receiver settings like Neo:6.

Oh fuddle Duddle, I knew I forgot a bunch...

Since im lazy and don't feel like typing out another 10 or so formats here is a link i found that should cover them all. Should, some fo you out there will probably just find more that aren't this list so...
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ix-3-2004.html

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    What about the 24/96 variant of DTS, where does that fit in? Isn't that technically another format?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

now your just trying to piss me off here Dusty... Admit it.. pretty soon you'll be making up formats just to drive me insnae trying to find info about them!!!

No, look, it's even got it's own logo:

Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Two things that I found funny....

1. the person who wrote that page for the sound format link that you provided is written by Brian FLORIAN and

2. the person who started this forum is getting upset because the rest of us are chiming in with completions to their original post, which strikes me odd because if you don't want people to add anything, than make the list complete in the first place.

I appologize if i came across as a pissed off that dusty was adding new formats, I was actually trying to be sarcastic, even though it came accross that I was just an ass. I started this thread for people to fill in the blanks of formats that i missed. so i totally encourage it.

actually that is pretty humourous that the link was written by florian i never noticed it before.

DTS 96/24
    The DTS coding system has a “core + extension” structure. The “core” represents the DTS data as has been known since the first home decoders. The “extension” can carry data for future applications or enhancements of any sort. All DTS decoders recognize and use the core data. Basic decoders ignore the extension data, while advanced decoders can make use of it. The extension for DTS 96/24 carries the additional spectral data added by 96-kHz sampling.DTS 96/24 decoders read both core and extension and reproduce the extended spectrum. The data rate for 96/24 is 1.536Mbit/s, the higher of the two DTS rates presently used.

Well being that I'm the same way -- both sarcastic and "ass" -- I got it that you were just expressing your frustration in a humorous fashion.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

glad to hear im not the only sarcastic ass on this forum. Together we shall rise up and conquer middle earth!!!!
    sorry thats my Lord of the ring turrets acting up again one ring to rule them all!

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    glad to hear im not the only sarcastic ass on this forum. Together we shall rise up and conquer middle earth!!!!
    sorry thats my Lord of the ring turrets acting up again one ring to rule them all!
    A cool start to an informative thread.
    The only sarcastic @ss? I think that we may be the majority here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

It might also be helpful to distinguish the difference for some between discrete sound and matrixed sound, there seems to be alot of questions pertaining to people using a middle rear channel and the differences between DTS-ES (Matrix) and (Discrete) also the case with Dolby Digital EX sound.

Matrixed sound
    to figure out how matrix sound works check out this link http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=341486&rl=1

Discrete Sound
    Check out this link for Discrete Sound http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=2&rl=1

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    You may want to include things such as SDDS or receiver settings like Neo:6.
    is SDDS 8 ch surround? and are there any dvd's (or newer formats) using sdds?
    on that note, any players and pre/pro's able to do sdds?
    thanks,
    Mike

edit:
    http://www.sdds.com/
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

SDDS is strictly a theater format for sound and it is 8-channel of sound. Not many features or theaters use this, but if you get a chance to see a film this way, be sure to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    is SDDS 8 ch surround? and are there any dvd's (or newer formats) using sdds?
    on that note, any players and pre/pro's able to do sdds?
    thanks,
    Mike

edit:
    http://www.sdds.com/
    SDDS is basically an orphaned theatrical format. Many theaters are still equipped with the SDDS decoders and theatrical prints from the major studios still include the SDDS optical code, but the Sony division that marketed and developed SDDS no longer exists. Most theaters and movies supporting SDDS use the six-channel version. The 8-channel SDDS-8 format is only used on a select few movies, and requires five screen speakers which very few theaters use nowadays.

And this format/configuration probably won't ever come to home theater. Even though the new Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master formats can now support a discrete eight-channel 7.1 configuration, soundtracks that were produced in SDDS-8 still cannot be directly transferred for home use without remixing. This is because the 7.1 configuration for home theater calls for three channels up front, four surround channels, and the LFE channel. The SDDS-8 configuration entails five channels up front, and two surround channels, plus the subwoofer track.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Which is exactly why the 8Track SDDS of STARSHIP TROOPERS just doesn't sound the same in DTS 5.1, I'll be curious what the Blu ray sounds like.

Thread Information