Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JLS
    JLS

Universal Remote

Just joined this site today and need some advice. I finally broke down and bought a HDTV, receiver, blu-ray, speakers, ect. The salesman said I should buy A Harmony 880 universal remote to control, TV, receiver, blu-ray, and SAT dish. My question is does this thing work as easy as he said or am I buying a problem?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLS
    Just joined this site today and need some advice. I finally broke down and bought a HDTV, receiver, blu-ray, speakers, ect. The salesman said I should buy A Harmony 880 universal remote to control, TV, receiver, blu-ray, and SAT dish. My question is does this thing work as easy as he said or am I buying a problem?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I have the cheaper version... the Harmony 550 and it is truly an amazing remote.... I don't think it's 100% user friendly as they might make it seem.... but compared to most traditional universals it is child's play to program... and the real advantage is the customization options.... I have my remote set with one touch commands to handle watching tv, playing a cd, playing a dvd, playing a video game and even had one for using my computer (back when I had a mac min attached to my tv)....

So yeah, i think it's a great remote...

Forum Regular
    I have the 659,like it alot.Easy to set up,customizable,and if you do have a problem,tech support is great.

bill

Suspended
    I have the Harmony 676 and I'll echo the other opinions already expressed. I press one button to listen to music, one button to watch TV and one button for DVD. It couldn't be easier.

I own two Harmony 880's, best remote I've ever owned. Highly recommend!

Yes the Harmony 880 is probably the best remote out there. And unlike that Blur-Ray player, it will serve you well for a number of years!

Forum Regular
    the Logitech Harmony remotes are super easy to program however I don't recommend the 880 for a fisrt time user, your best option is the Harmony model 670. Very simple and well laid-out with larger activity buttons for the new-comer.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I'll second the 880, mine has been really convenient

JLS
    JLS
    Thanks for the input as I really was not sure if the salesman was just trying to sell me more stuff or being helpful.

My 7 yr old can use my 880.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by JLS
    Thanks for the input as I really was not sure if the salesman was just trying to sell me more stuff or being helpful.
    He talked you into a $700 Blur-Ray player, why not a $200 remote?

Sorry, BestBuy and their Blur-Ray lies are one of my pet peeves

They tried to pull that 'Blur-Ray is the ONLY way to get HD on your TV' on me when I went in there, to which I had to explain to the sales dolt that I get HD via Xbox360, HD-DVD player, and DirecTV...and there are many many other ways to get HD on top of that. He wasn't too receptive

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    They tried to pull that 'Blur-Ray is the ONLY way to get HD on your TV' on me when I went in there..:
    Not to threadjack, but that kind of schtick makes me insane. It's one thing to deal with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about (although you should know more about what you're trying to sell me than I do) but the fanboy bs lies are where I draw the line. That's when I and my money head for the door.

Anyway, welcome to the forum JLS, grab a Harmony and join the fun...

Cheers

Forum Regular
    I have seen the sony in operation and it is far from blurry,very impressive picture,far better than i thought it would be.It was also better than the HD-DVD demo that i was given.Now i understand they were on different tv's with different material and were short demos,a few minutes each,but to my eyes the Blue Ray was far better.

bill

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I have seen the sony in operation and it is far from blurry,very impressive picture,far better than i thought it would be.It was also better than the HD-DVD demo that i was given.Now i understand they were on different tv's with different material and were short demos,a few minutes each,but to my eyes the Blue Ray was far better.

bill
    so you basically just said "it was better, but my comparison is meaningless"

neat!

Forum Regular
    My point was that the Sony blueray is not blurry as was previously stated.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999

bill
    You'd see things much differently if you were to compare them on the same equipment. You'd see that in fact the HD-DVD is a little richer in color which goes along with what the professional reviewers seem to keep saying.

I actually think Blur-Ray looks fine, it's just the lies that Best Buy surrounds it with that I hate. Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.

Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.
    To take a little detour on the whole remote issue. Unlike all of sony's past blunders Beta, Mini-disc and the list goes on, Sony has taken a few steps in the right direction to try and make this one work. Unlike the past blunders Snoy doesn't appear to be trying to have a monopoly on the market, having samsung also producing the blu-ray player.

Since this is totally off topic, im going to stop here and start a thread dedicated to blu-ray, its been awhile since there has been one, lets see if peoples opinions have changed at all.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Forum Regular
    You'd see things much differently if you were to compare them on the same equipment. You'd see that in fact the HD-DVD is a little richer in color which goes along with what the professional reviewers seem to keep saying.

I actually think Blur-Ray looks fine, it's just the lies that Best Buy surrounds it with that I hate. Well that, plus it's a format invented by the 'blunder of the century' company Sony. Having the S word attached to it alone will doom it to failure.
    One last word.I am not a big fan of Sony either,but it was the HDdvd that was at our version of best Buy(future Shop) the Sony was at the Sony store.I really think that Br is going to win this one,they have the studio support and i think that will decide it.

bill

Yes the Harmony 880 is probably the best remote out there. And unlike that Blur-Ray player, it will serve you well for a number of years!
    You really have a thing against Blu-Ray, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by evil__betty
    You really have a thing against Blu-Ray, eh?
    No, not really. I just hate Sony (can they do anything right here lately) and I hate Best Buy's lies about Blur-Ray. It just really pushed me over the edge after arguing with the sales dolts at Best Buy who tried to explain to me that Blur-Ray was the ONLY possible way to see an HD signal on a TV.

True, most Best Buy associates are pretty thick.

But I would still give Sony kudos when it comes to making a really good TV... even with all they're marketing and production screw-ups.

Maybe they should just stick to TV's and stay out of the rootkit and game console business

JLS
    JLS
    I have to tell you that I went into the store willing to buy the best HDTV they had and it got down to the Pioneer Pro elite plasma and the Sony XBR3. When it was all said and done the Sony hooked up to the Bluray won hands down.
    That is my opinion only and I also bought the Beta years ago and it was better than any VHS I owned. Sony had no partners in the Beta but Pioneer and a few others think the Blu-ray is something special as they have units on the market. If it doesn't work out it won't be the first time I have made the wrong choice and I am sure it won't be the last.
    That is why they make Chevrolets and Fords as everyone has a different opinion. Now let's get back to my Universal Remote.

Yeah the TV looked great with the Blu-Ray hooked up...but what did it look like with the HD-DVD hooked up?

Did the Pioneer have a Blue Ray DVD hooked to it?
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information