Forum Regular

Post Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001

Looking for recommendations on a single CD player. I will be connecting it to the NAD C162 and C272. The speakers I am driving are B&W 603S3. The two single CD players I have identified are Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001.

Please recommend!!.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrooks2001us
    Looking for recommendations on a single CD player. I will be connecting it to the NAD C162 and C272. The speakers I am driving are B&W 603S3. The two single CD players I have identified are Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001.

Please recommend!!.

I and several members enjoy our Marantz CD5001 cd players. I have owned mine since March and it has been a very dependable player. Sound quality is excellent for the money. Five memebers have written reviews of that player in the review section. I have not heard the Onkyo.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    From the units I have heard of these two brands I'd have to second the Marantz nod. What's the budget? Have you ruled out brands like Cambridge Audio?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Seems the...

...Onkyo @$599 MSRP is a bit pricier and uses a Wolfson DAC (for those who care about audiophool name-dropping) and the $329 Marantz, Cirrus Logic (again for those who care)...A case of caveat emptor or justified price diff?

In my limited experience with both product lines, I tend to prefer the build quality of Onkyo products, but the Marantz does have a 3yr warranty and a pitch control (important for the musicians among us)...

jimHJJ[...nowadays, time is tight, so most of the time I'm listening to a GPX port CDP ($7 after rebate) through modded $6 Sony phones (still undergoing mods)...good listening can be had on the cheap...]
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

nightflier
    Despite the wolfson DAC, I would also give the nod to the Marantz. And if build quality is an issue, there are a number of DIY mods you can do on the Marantz players to give them more stability, heft, and to reduce resonances - just do a google search on the topic.

I also like the Marantz' ability to speed up or slow down the playback speed. This is a highly unusual feature at this price (at least in the non-pro market). I can think of a few classical recordings that could use some slowing down. And with the $200 that you save you can buy yourself some better ICs or a decent power chord.

Forum Regular
    Thanks folks for the replies. I will do some more investigations with the local dealers and take a decision.

Tim

You definitely want to listen to as many options as you can and draw your own conclusions...

But based on my own experience I'd easily recommend the Marantz.... I think it's an amazing value for the money.....

Have you thought of the NAD players. The C542 and C525BEE are might fine players for the money.

I was waiting for someone to recommend one made by Cambridge. C-CDP used to be recommended on this site like the way 5001 has been recently. It's hard to make your decision based on what members here recommend. But, I was to make a suggestion, I would say go with Marantz. I say this because I like my 8001, and Marantz receivers I've heard before. Never cared for Onkyo/Integra that much... I think you should ignore my input along with others.

btw, I've never heard anything made by CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser

jimHJJ[...nowadays, time is tight, so most of the time I'm listening to a GPX port CDP ($7 after rebate) through modded $6 Sony phones (still undergoing mods)...good listening can be had on the cheap...]
    That's great, man. You wanna sell me your STAX?
    -J

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I may be...

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    ...That's great, man. You wanna sell me your STAX?
    -J
    ...a cheap and curious tinkerer but I'm not an idiot...

jimHJJ(...sorry, no sale...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    I'd pick the Marantz over the Onkyo too.

I heard a similar onkyo, and compared it with a marantz cd5001 OSE,

I ordered the marantz, it sounded softer, and 'quieter' than the onkyo...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation