AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Denon AVR-3803 vs. Harman Kardon AVR-7200

Hello Everyone,

I am as to which new Home Theatre Audio/Video Reciever I should purchase. I have researched the different brands and specs enough to know that I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. But, I want to be sure that the reciever I choose is going to be a GOOD FIT! for the new JBL speakers I just recently purchased. The JBL's are all Studio Series as listed: S38II-3Way-Fronts, S36II-3Way-RSurrounds, S26II-2Way-RBackSurrounds, S120PII-12 inch 400 watt subwoofer. To complete my 6.1 channel (music/movie) experience I need to know which of these 2 recievers will compliment my speakers best. The Denon AVR-3803 (AVR-3805 coming out March 04') or the Harmon Kardon AVR-7200 (AVR-7300? Not sure on this one no press release at post). I would appreciate it if any or all feedback could be backed by some s-o-u-n-d reasoning no pun intended

Thanks,
    LayDeeA
    Last edited by LayDeeA; 02-13-2004 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Both will drive your speakers more than sufficiently. I don't think there's an "ideal" mate to your JBL's, you'll have to listen to them to see what sounds best to you.
    And I can guarantee whatever receiver you pick, 2 other people with the same speakers you have would pick the other receiver...
    Perhaps you should be asking yourself which options/features you will need, use, and enjoy the most, and which receiver you can get the best deal on.
    Both are quality components with large fan bases.
    Cheers!

Ditto!

You need to listen to both on the same pair of speakers if possible. Then look at the options that you need and pick the one that has the most you want. (i.e., video upconversion/down conversion, triple bass management, etc.).

Forum Regular

My experience with Denon...

I had similar concerns and after much research, I just went with the Denon. I learned that setting up the reciever is a big part of the game, and I spent frustrated hours...until I called Denon Customer support. I had e-mailed them a question, never got a response. When I called them, they were the most helpful people that I had dealt with in years. After one call, the support guy gave me his direct line...retained history and two calls later I had my system tweaked and the improvement in sound was amazing. I can not speak for HK, but talking with someone who can help you with an unfamiliar piece of equipment was invaluable to me...One vote for Denon!

IMO both there will not be much difference in the 2 units as far as sound quality goes..So look at the features of the 2 and also look at the one with the least amout of problems..The 7200 will have more power with all chs driven.It wil also have BM for SACD and DVDa.The 7200 also lets you select different xover points for FRT/C/Surround.This unit also has Logic 7.Not real sure but the only feature the Denon has over the 7200 would be video up conversion.. ALot of HT and audio forums the HK seems to have alot of QC problems..I think onecall.com has the 7200 for less than $800..Hope this helps good luck..

Denon 3803 vs. Harman Kardon AVR-7200 A/V Receiver

Thanks, so much to all of you for your prompt and informative responses to my . I have had some time to think about it and have decided to wait until next month (Mar. 04) for the Denon 3805 Model to be released. I want to evaluate it as well before I take the plunge. I must admit that I am leaning more towards the Denon rather than the HK. Hopefully, the newer (Denon) model will have upgraded features that will confirm it as the obvious choice I need for my HT . Will review and post my findings at a later date.

Thanks again.

LayDeeA

P.S. I mistakenly omitted my center channel from my original post. It is a JBL SII Center Channel which makes it 7.1 Channel Surround. My bad...

tpc

Quote Originally Posted by LayDeeA
    Thanks, so much to all of you for your prompt and informative responses to my . I have had some time to think about it and have decided to wait until next month (Mar. 04) for the Denon 3805 Model to be released. I want to evaluate it as well before I take the plunge. I must admit that I am leaning more towards the Denon rather than the HK. Hopefully, the newer (Denon) model will have upgraded features that will confirm it as the obvious choice I need for my HT . Will review and post my findings at a later date.

Thanks again.

LayDeeA

P.S. I mistakenly omitted my center channel from my original post. It is a JBL SII Center Channel which makes it 7.1 Channel Surround. My bad...
    Just read your notes on looking for a new receiver. Have you seen the new digital HK's? If you are looking to spend $1000 - $1500, check out the dpr series 1001, 2001, and 2005. The later two are coming out later this month, as well as the avr 7300. My friend has the Denon 2802 and is frustrated with the fact you cannot control the bass/treble on the surround speakers. The new Denon 3508 is a nice piece. I am also in the market for a new receiver and almost ordered the 7200 for $850 through J and R Music world (free shipping). I spend some more time researching newer models and am anxious to hear the new HK digitals. Let me know if you've heard them yet.

tpc

Thread Information