Forum Regular

Pioneer SX-1280 woes - repair shop in Dallas?

Powered up my '78 Pioneer SX-1280 this evening and noticed that the sound coming from my right speaker was much weaker than from the left. I tested the speaker with my other receiver and it worked okay. Retried with the Pioneer, same. Adjusted balance, switched from phono input to aux to FM and it's the same for all - just not sending much to the right side. Hook up the headphones and it powers my earbuds, at least, fine on both channels. Switched from speaker system A outputs to system B with the same result.

Yeah, yeah, I know...

Anyway, anyone have a favorite place to have their older equipment repaired around here?
    It don't help to be one of the chosen
    One of the few, to be sure
    When the wheels are spinning around
    And the ground is frozen through

You may not be willing to attempt, but many times, a dirty POT/volume control can be the culprit. And after 30 years, they probably all need cleaning. If you are willing to look under the hood (take off wooden case and faceplate/knobs), you can give each POT a squirt of "Deoxit", and slowly work the controls back and forth 40 - 50 times. Perhaps the same routine the next day. That will often bring back the sound.

Deoxit can be found at most electronic supply stores, Radioshack, on-line at Parts Express etc. If you do attempt it, remember "less is more", so use the stuff sparingly.

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Forum Regular
    I'm pretty willing to attempt it, I think. I'm not in a hurry and have reconnected everything to my other receiver for now anyway, so I'll swing by Radio Shack and see what I can do. Would it also be useful to unleash a can of compressed air on it while I have access to the components, or would that risk knocking things loose? Anything else that doesn't require a degree in electronics that I could do?

Thanks for the advice.
    It don't help to be one of the chosen
    One of the few, to be sure
    When the wheels are spinning around
    And the ground is frozen through

Yes, definitely do the compressed air. And if you have any bulbs that are out, now would be the time to change them. But I'm not familiar with your model. Degree of difficulty on bulbs can go from idiot simple to brain surgery.

While you have the cover off, it would be a good time to just take your time and look at everything. Check for any leaking capacitors, broken wires or solder joints etc. If you find those, then a repair is in order.

One final piece of advice. Don't spray deoxit or anything else on the tuner section, and don't unhook/mess up the tuner string that winds throughout.

I suggest taking notes, snapping pics with a digital camera, and have a parts bowl to put everything in as you go. Otherwise, you'll be scratching your head, going "where does this part go?". Oh, and obviously, do all your work with the unit unplugged.

Good luck.

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

AR Newbie Registered Member

Tape Monitor Switch

Receivers of the 70's had a lot of troubles with the tape monitor push-push switch. Lack of use of the switch would cause it to become dirty and cause weak audio and cutouts. Just something else for you to check.

Thread Information