Why does my alarm clock get better RF reception than my receiver?

This has been driving me nuts. The stock antenna doesn't do squat for my receiver and I still have a hard time getting AM and FM signals yet my dinky alarm clock radio pulls in every station without effort. Why, oh, why? What can I do to get better RF reception?

The best way is to mount an external antenna on your roof or apartment balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    The best way is to mount an external antenna on your roof or apartment balcony.
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard of mounting a rooftop antenna but I was hoping for a less "high maintenance" way of doing it. If I absolutely have to get a roof antenna, I probably won't even bother.

Forum Regular

cheap antenna in attic, however...

that doesn't answer your question as to why a $1000 plus receiver can't pull in a radio station as well as a clock radio or a cheap handheld radio.. i've been frustrated to about that. anyhow, back to attic. you could get by without a roof mount, tower, guy wires, etc... just buy a $25 radio shack roof antenna and stick it in the attic. get one with FM section on it, not just tv. btw, i have a terk $15 p.o.s. that does next to nothing for my reception.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard of mounting a rooftop antenna but I was hoping for a less "high maintenance" way of doing it. If I absolutely have to get a roof antenna, I probably won't even bother.

As stan mentioned, put it in the attic. Nad if you are only interested in FM buy an FM antenna from RS. They make it just for that band. Or an omni directional FM antenna in the attic.
    mtrycrafts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    As stan mentioned, put it in the attic. Nad if you are only interested in FM buy an FM antenna from RS. They make it just for that band.
    Have to agree there. RadioShack's Dipole Indoor FM Antenna ($2.99) is much better than the antenna that comes with the Reciever-which is nothing but a piece of twin wire

Thread Information