Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

What makes a good speaker a good speaker???

I have always wanted to know what makes a high quality speaker like a klipsch speaker different than a crappy inexpensive speaker

Asuming Klipsch makes good speakers. A good speaker is one that gives you a emotional response.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Mutant from table 9
    and also one that does not create listener fatigue.

Some speakers are generally better than others because of more careful design, or better components, or better build tolerances. Speaker design is a careful balancing act between pros and cons, benefits and trade-offs. Panel vs. box, horn vs. cone, sealed vs. ported, ect. Good speakers have struck a careful balance.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

welcome to the forum, to start with.

klipsch makes high-end speakers, they also make normal speakers, and they make budget speakers. but there is still way better than klipsch.

a good speaker is a good speaker because of so much factors,
    the materials used (like cheap thin plastic vs cheap wood vs expensive, nice durable thick wood) and the materials for the drivers themselves, (like kevlar, beryllium, aluminium, rohacell, diamond, ceramic stuff) and for internal materials (like the internal wires, the crossover quality,...)
    build quality also is an important factor, because you can have all the high end materials, pushed together like crap, and then you end up with very expensive garbage.
    the shape of the speakers, the technology behind it,...
    so many more, that's for the speakers themselves, but you still might not have good sound then,
    you can invest in $$$ speakers, and ruin the sound by wrong placement, hiding your speakers, putting stuff in front of it, putting too much stuff between them, isolating them while you should be coupling them too the floor (and in reverse), ...
    those are also very important,

and more important factors:
    what you use to drive them with (which amps, preamps, sources, cables,...) and how they are set up,
    all those things are very important,

but there is something else that is very very important,
    which differs for all peoples.
    The human ear, and the human taste.
    you can have $$$ speakers and find that they suck, you can find it too bright, too warm, to forward, to bassy, that there's missing something...
    that's why we always advice people to audition something first, and then buy it.

Hope this helped,
    Greetings,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Asuming Klipsch makes good speakers. A good speaker is one that gives you a emotional response.

damn, I knew I forgot something,
    anyways,

to give you an example of that: when you hear music on your system, it must make you feel like the music, it must make you feel 'alive', you should almost fall in love with the sound, and it should also feel like that, music must make you feel satisfied (no, not that satisfaction, you creeps), but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to turn up your volume so the whole town can hear it, of course volume is a part of the 'feeling process'.

if you play music (that you like) and you don't feel a thing, you failed.
    as simple as that.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Sony, Bose, or whatever is doesnt matter as long as you truly enjoy the music. Alot of times, it takes more so we come to this forum.......and other comical characters.

Quote Originally Posted by iuisthebest19
    I have always wanted to know what makes a high quality speaker ... different than a crappy inexpensive speaker
    How it sounds to you and only you!
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

You asked about high quality. To me a high quality speaker is a linear, low distortion, accurate transducer. Adding nothing of its own when it changes electrical energy into mechanical energy.The majority of models available in todays market are not able to do this. They add something of their own character to the program in the process.

Someone mentioned listening fatigue. This is caused by higher levels of harmonic distotion. It is what makes music sound loud when it may not necessarily be measurably loud. A linear, low distortion speaker can be played at higher volumes and not be fatiguing. By the same token, it will sound very good at low, background levels as well.

All of the technical details are moot if you don't care for the sound of a truly linear speaker. Problem is, the non linear, higher distortion, sort of "in your face" type of sound comes off as more appealing initially when comparing speakers. And, unfortunately, you don't realize it until you have spent a little time listening to them at home with your equipment, in your home, on your time.

That last paragraph is written from brute experience. My experience. Some 30+ years ago I thought I knew what good sound was and I had the owner of the hi fi store where I worked raise hell with me over the speaker choice I was about to make. Did I listen? Heck no. Was he right? Absolutely. Which made it all the harder to admit to myself that I made the wrong choice.

The good sound coming out of it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

A good speaker is one that you like. Simple.

Forum Regular
    Thank you so much
    your answers helped me find what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by iuisthebest19
    Thank you so much
    your answers helped me find what i was looking for
    what did you find?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Who says Klipsch are high quality? They are high in volume for little power.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Who says Klipsch are high quality? They are high in volume for little power.
    it depends on to what Klipsch is compared...
    the reference series isn't bad at all, just priced a little high compared to other brands imo...
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    i wasnt looking for anything specific to buy then
    i just want to learn alot about speakers because music is my life and i want my life to sound good

I think that speakers can be put into 3 categories...

1. speakers that produce sound. All speakers that are working properly fit into this category.

2. speakers that produce accurate sound. Not all speakers fit into this category as some speakers add color and do not accurately reproduce the original source. Typically prices increase in this area as well as the way the speaker is constructed and the parts used.

3. speakers that produce emotion. This is referring to what Florian mentioned. A very small percentage of speakers are capable of doing so and there is usually a heavier pricetag associated with it.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I think that speakers can be put into 3 categories...

1. speakers that produce sound. All speakers that are working properly fit into this category.

2. speakers that produce accurate sound. Not all speakers fit into this category as some speakers add color and do not accurately reproduce the original source. Typically prices increase in this area as well as the way the speaker is constructed and the parts used.

3. speakers that produce emotion. This is referring to what Florian mentioned. A very small percentage of speakers are capable of doing so and there is usually a heavier pricetag associated with it.
    Producing emotion is difficult to quantify simply with money. I've heard some 20k+ speakers that were very detailed and revealing, and an utter bore to listen to. I've heard sub-1k speakers that provided a great emotional response, even if they weren't the last word in accuracy.

But I think what I'm really getting at is that's the very point, speakers are subjective and which of those aspects (aside from #1) you need more of, and how they blend and match your room, electronics, music and your ears is what defines a good speaker in most practical senses.

I was simply trying to generalize the categories without getting into the dollars and cents of the matter because that turns into a huge debate. I agree that money = great sound, but at the same time it's difficult to get into the higher tier of realistic music reproduction without spending a good bit. If it were cheaper everyone could and would be an audiophile.

I don't think that it necessarily has to be very expensive for everyone though. Not saying it isn't, or couldn't be, for many of us though

Forum Regular
    I looked up a short defenition of an audiophile. Included in the defenition was that a beginner system usually costs 10,000 and up as to where veteren systems cost over 100,000. I then gladly stopped considering myself an audiophile. I love everything about sound, but I don't wanna be known as the guy that has all the expensive stuff. I wanna always be known as the guy who took not so good components to good components and making them sound great. On that note I probably have the least impressive components out of everyone on this board. I have Paradigm Mini monitor v.2 as my fronts, and matching ADP surounds and center. My sub is a car audio Cerwin Vega Vega series 12 inch in a Q-logic box powered by a 300 watt custom home sub amp. My receiver is a Denon 2801 that doesn't even do Pro Logic 2. Through experimenting with speaker placement and proper distance and level calibration on the receiver, I put something together that does bring a tear to my eye or just makes me getty. Thats the most important part. People who come over and just sit in utter shock when they hear your stuff, thats just a bonus. I agree with everyone who posted on what makes a great speaker great. They are all correct. However you can buy a truely time tested great speaker and have it sound terrible when you get home. I have a pair of Monitor 9s sitting in the closet due to this fact. My 9s used to be my mains. I never could get them to sound right. I then found that the difference is that they're front ported and not rear like the mini's. My room has a serious problem front ported speakers due to wierd room dimensions. Anyway, the bottom is if you can help it, don't buy a speaker by what you hear in the store. Most places offer demo models to try over the weekend. Hear what they sound like in your room. Room acoustics can crush a fantastic speaker. In my experience, for strangely shaped rooms where speakers don't have equal distance from side walls or one wall opens up into a kitchen area, use rear ported. Either that or go find some acoustic panneling that will turn a nice room into an ugly geek cave.
    "You play with the best, you die like the rest." -M. Trigg

Quote Originally Posted by AudioBack
    Either that or go find some acoustic panneling that will turn a nice room into an ugly geek cave.
    I want one!!!
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

I looked up a short defenition of an audiophile. Included in the defenition was that a beginner system usually costs 10,000 and up as to where veteren systems cost over 100,000.
    As far as I'm concerned that's more or less irrelevant to the point of being an "audiophile." Some people will spend that much in their lifetime, but many times more will not and that doesn't necessarily make them not audiophiles.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I understand the defenition is poor, but most people would not consider you an audiophile with having mid-grade equipment. It's not the way it should be, but money to a majority of people means better sound. I don't think so, but I don't wanna be confused with those people. To Rock789, I want one too!!! I had to give up alot of unorthidox methods of improving sound when I got married and the place had to look somewhat normal.
    "You play with the best, you die like the rest." -M. Trigg

Yeah, I understand the defenition is poor, but most people would not consider you an audiophile with having mid-grade equipment. It's not the way it should be, but money to a majority of people means better sound. I don't think so, but I don't wanna be confused with those people. To Rock789, I want one too!!! I had to give up alot of unorthidox methods of improving sound when I got married and the place had to look somewhat normal.
    imo, an audiophile is one who enjoys listening to music and constantly trying to increase the enjoyablity of listening to music...
    does that make sence?

I'm not married yet, so have some nurd time left
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

The bottom line is this....

A good speaker can disappear. If you can sit down, close your eyes, and feel the music without noticing that the music is coming from two big boxes in front of you, or in some cases a big panel or other monolithic object, than it's a great speaker. If you can sit there and listen and hear every nuance of detail and also give an approximation as to where that particular nuance is taking place within the soundfield, than it's a great speaker. Great speakers produce musicality perfectly and can do so with emotion, depth, and response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information