Do ya like those Uncle Tupelo boys?

I've been having a blast listening to some of the free download of their final concert called Mississippi Nights - St. Louis, MO, Uncle Tupelo - 1994-05-01. The opener, Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, sports a pretty cool wall of geetars and the sound isn't too bad either, although they're just 128K.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/downloads.php

Just to clarify...the concert's not called Mississippi Nights, the bar they are playing at is called Mississippi Nights. It's a place on Laclede's Landing on the Mississippi River. When the river floods, the parking lot can get a little wet. The Landing's mostly a tourist trap and frat bioy hang out, but Mississippi Nights has had many a good show over the years. I've seen the Ramones, Tricky, John Lee Hooker, The Cramps, Reverend Horton Heat, Butthole Surfers, Cowboy Junkies, and many more there.

When in the song called Heavy Metal Drummer, he sings about seeing those heavy metal bands down on the landing, he's talking about the same landing, probably just one of the other bars. Tons of lame metal bands were playing around there in the 80s.

Forum Regular

I kinda like them but......

......but I prefer the two bands they became when Tweedy & Farrar decided to part company. All though now it looks as if Son Volt is history, I had heard a rumor a year or so back that they would reform but it hasn't happened.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Just to clarify...
    Hey, thanks for the interesting tidbits. Would've probably been fun to see them back in the days on that Anodyne tour. Quite a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    ......but I prefer the two bands they became when Tweedy & Farrar decided to part company.
    I don't know, they were quite a band. At their best, I still think some of the Tupelo stuff matches anything Tweedy and Farrar have done since. But it's all good to me and I do like the modern day Wilco a little more overall than either UT or Son Volt/Jay Farrar, although Trace might just be the best from any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I don't know, they were quite a band. At their best, I still think some of the Tupelo stuff matches anything Tweedy and Farrar have done since. But it's all good to me and I do like the modern day Wilco a little more overall than either UT or Son Volt/Jay Farrar, although Trace might just be the best from any of them.
    My unsolicited opinion would rank them:

1) Farrar
    2) Uncle Tupelo
    3) Son Volt
    4) Wilco

I read a comparison of Tweedy & Farrar in an article somewhere a while ago that I agree with, although I suspect it would be a minority opinion around RR: Tweedy is the McCartney to Farrar's Lennon. (running away to avoid the incoming rocks)
    Last edited by tentoze; 02-12-2004 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added parenthetical note
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    My unsolicited opinion would rank them:

1) Farrar
    2) Uncle Tupelo
    3) Son Volt
    4) Wilco
    That is interesting. Way different than my order, as you would probably guess. A more telling ranking might be something like top 3 albums by Uncle Tupelo and/or its alum. I've gotta run right now but I'll be back later with mine........hmmmmmm

Forum Regular

Bingo!

You nailed it Davey, Trace is an awesome album.

it's weird

even though I started with UT's debut, and seeing them open for Teenage Fanclub (yea, I have to bring that up once a year) .. after years of listening to Wilco and Son Volt, it's weird going back and hearing Jay and Jeff sing together. It's like, oil and water or something.. like some force is driving them apart, but they're yet drawn together at the same time. After all this time, the only ones I have from UT are NO DEPRESSION and ANODYNE. I know I have some gaps to fill. I have all of Wilco except for the first one.. and I have all 3 Son Volt albums. Yea, TRACE is pretty fantastical.. esp. with "Tear Stained Eye" - probably my favorite song by Jay. Anyhoo, it's nice to know that there's still material out there for me to mine. Maybe JC is willing to part with his copy of MARCH 16-20, 1992

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

That is interesting. Way different than my order, as you would probably guess. A more telling ranking might be something like top 3 albums by Uncle Tupelo and/or its alum. I've gotta run right now but I'll be back later with mine........hmmmmmm
    Since this went nowhere, just saw the projected date for Wilco's new release is June 8.....obviously tentative, the way they seem to have trouble getting releases out for eons at a stretch.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Thread Information