Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Analog RCA Audio Signal Boosters

Does anybody know of a good product for externally increasing output signal without introducing distortion into a source with RCA type connections. The 5.1 analog outputs of the Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A1 player are just not enough for my setup even with all channels set to max gain (+10) in my receivers setup menu that has separate analog amps connected to all channels. I set the Toshiba to max volume and that still stinks. My PC has 7.1 analog output and I have enough gain because the Soundblaster X-Fi has a robust volume control setting via software. Digital sources have enough gain to rattle walls. Both the PC and other digital sources like DVDs/CDs all are extremely loud at -20 on the volume setting of my Pioneer VSX 1016-TSV. At -20 you can barely hear a HD-DVD. I would hate to think that an HD-DVD will sound better in DTS via coax/toslink because not enough output is on the analog outputs of the HD-DVD player to truly enjoy them in Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD without HDMI audio. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can still get HD-DVDs to sound good but I want them to sound closer to a true digital connection with unlimited volume. Much like Johnny Five, I need more input.

Are you sure that something isn't amiss? I use the analog 5.1 from the HD-A1 into a Rotel receiver, and the volume easily keeps pace with the rest of the digital/analog equipment in this setup.

Ed's advice is solid. Follow his first. But, should all else fail, another way to describe what you are asking for is "a five channel audio amplifier".

R the R,

Now that I think about it, do you have the latest firmware for your HD A1? I may be wrong, but something in the back of my mind tells me that 2.0 might fix a problem with volume. It should be easy enough to find out at Toshiba Customer Support, which sends you to the HD DVD page. If you need an update, you can either order a disk or download it directly into the player.

Barring that, a few other things can attenuate the analog signals, such as splitting the inputs to your receiver with the second component active.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile I have firmware 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    R the R,

Now that I think about it, do you have the latest firmware for your HD A1? I may be wrong, but something in the back of my mind tells me that 2.0 might fix a problem with volume. It should be easy enough to find out at Toshiba Customer Support, which sends you to the HD DVD page. If you need an update, you can either order a disk or download it directly into the player.

Barring that, a few other things can attenuate the analog signals, such as splitting the inputs to your receiver with the second component active.
    It is the only source that has such a low input. I suppose I could turn the volume knobs of my external amps up but that is a pain in the rear because I already have the volume of my PC and regular DVD player pretty well balanced out at their current setting. I have the A1 volume settings at 0 for all channels. I think that is maximum because they give you a range of -12 through 0. They don't offer any + settings. I think the movies would sound even better if I can just increase the gain a lot somehow.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It sounds like something is wrong. I wouldn't amplify the signal, I'd try to fix what is wrong.

Sometimes, if I have a signal mixing with itself, it's slightly out of phase and mostly cancels itself -- the result is a significantly attenuated signal -- could that be what is going on somehow? Try disconnecting some things.

In my case, this usually happens in the studio, not in my entertainment rig, but stranger things have happened.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information