Forum Regular

Noisy Velodyne Sub worth fixing?

Hello everyone,
    A friend gave me a Velodyne HGS-10BG today.
    He said the unit makes noise but may be worth fixing.

It is in great condition, however...it does not work (what a friend )

When I plug it to the power source it vibrates a little. It sounds like a small engine.

I also notice that the cone does not go in much although it is a smooth motion.

So, is it a keep/fix or toss/forget

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

An HGS 10

Fix it....and i am not kidding....fix that sub and erase this thread for ever asking

Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    An HGS 10

Fix it....and i am not kidding....fix that sub and erase this thread for ever asking

Cheers
    Florian,
    I can fully appreciate your enthusiasm however the reviews for that particular unit are just about horrible when it comes to reliability.

I will go to a local shop so at least I will get a proper repair estimate instead of talking up in the air.

Will keep you up to date with the mistakes I will make (he he)

Michele

yes, get it fixed, the reviews are just a little part, that sub will rock your house, i saw one on Agon for $800 (second hand) just to give you an idea of what it's worth...

Greetings,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Oh yes, but the reliability on Apogees sucked too. But they still own all i know
    And its already broken, so just fix it good!

Grats man
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Even if you pay to have it fixed you will be on top. Say you spend $200 for repair. You've still got a sub that sells on the used market for $800. All you paid is $200 to have it fixed.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Even if you pay to have it fixed you will be on top. Say you spend $200 for repair. You've still got a sub that sells on the used market for $800. All you paid is $200 to have it fixed.
    First of all, thanks for the replies.
    Also, not disrespect on my side. (many of you are experts, me on the other hand just a 47 year old Italian immigrant he he)

I of course agree with all of you that in theory at least, this unit is well worth fixing.
    However, we are all making the assumption that the repair will last a bit.

What I mean by that is, Generally speaking, replacing a failing amp with a new but same amp is (in many cases) not really a solution.

I did read somewhere that Velodyne might have addressed some of those issues and put out an updated amp as a result. I am waiting for them to reply and confirm.

btw, I was goofing around earlier and noticed this burned component.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your input (no point intended)

Michele
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noisy Velodyne Sub worth fixing?-bad.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by michele
    First of all, thanks for the replies.
    Also, not disrespect on my side. (many of you are experts, me on the other hand just a 47 year old Italian immigrant he he)

I of course agree with all of you that in theory at least, this unit is well worth fixing.
    However, we are all making the assumption that the repair will last a bit.

What I mean by that is, Generally speaking, replacing a failing amp with a new but same amp is (in many cases) not really a solution.

I did read somewhere that Velodyne might have addressed some of those issues and put out an updated amp as a result. I am waiting for them to reply and confirm.

btw, I was goofing around earlier and noticed this burned component.
    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...&ppuser=256647

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your input (no point intended)

Michele
    When troubleshooting the kind of obvious resistor burn out you observed the key to repair is to find what device pulled enough current to burn the resistor. Replacing that component and the resistor will usually solve the problem. Resistors just don't burn up for no reason and replacing only the resistor will not solve the problem only the symptom. When a device is repaired the way I have just described the problem is solved and there are usually no further problems observed. I used to write NPO (no problem observed) on the repair ticket after fixing something.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    When troubleshooting the kind of obvious resistor burn out you observed the key to repair is to find what device pulled enough current to burn the resistor. Replacing that component and the resistor will usually solve the problem. Resistors just don't burn up for no reason and replacing only the resistor will not solve the problem only the symptom. When a device is repaired the way I have just described the problem is solved and there are usually no further problems observed. I used to write NPO (no problem observed) on the repair ticket after fixing something.
    Joe,

I agree 100% with your comment, I need to fix the cause of the problem.
    I am waiting to see if this local repair shop can handle this job.

Thanks again.

Michele

Thread Information