Forum Regular

Angry Urgent trouble with audio/video from dvd to reveiver.

Last night I was trying to put together my new surround sound. Everything went smooth until I wanted to play a dvd. The diagram shows how I connected everything, however I don’t know if my receiver allows component video inputs to be passed thru the composite video output to the tv.

The units I have are a Sony HT-DDW900 Receiver, Sony DVP-NS75H Dvd Player, Tivo, and TV only with one composite connection.

I was able to use the Receiver Video 1 slot for the Tivo and I could get video and audio to the TV, however no matter what variations on the Receiver Input Selector I used I couldn’t get the DVD player audio and video to the TV at the same time. I could get the DVD audio thru Video 1, but no picture and I could get the DVD video thru DVD on the receiver to the TV but no sound.

I know this is confusing but any thoughts could really help.

Does it matter what Digital Optical connection I use on the receiver from the DVD player? Would using Digital Coaxial help better? Right now I have the Fiber Optic cable from the DVD out to the Video 1 in on the Receiver. The only options on the Receiver are Video 1 in and Video 2 in for Digital Optical and DVD in for Digital Coaxial. It logically makes sense that the Digital out on the DVD should go to the Digital in on the Receiver but that only has the Coaxial connection labeled “DVD” and shouldn’t I be able to use Optical instead of Coaxial or did I buy the wrong cable?

Oh yeah, in the diagram the yellow dashed line from composite DVD to composite Receiver allowed me to get the DVD video on the TV when the component connection wouldn’t.

That’s enough for now, I hope someone out there can help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

I don't think I followed everything. But some receivers will not alow this passthrough. I know that my bedroom receiver will not. Your manual should give you more insight on that.
    Why do you want the audio to go to the TV? Why not let the receiver handle the sound?
    Doesn't your TV have any other video inputs? Composite is far from the best option.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    I'm not worried so much about the audio getting to the TV but when I get the Video from the DVD to the TV I can't get sound out the Receiver and Vice Versa, I can get video to the TV but then I can't get sound. I read thru my manual a few times and couldn't find anything that said if the component into the receiver would could pass thru the composite to the tv.

So, from your DVD to the receiver you have:

1) An optical cable from audio out on the DVD to audio in on the receiver
    2) Component cables from the DVD video out to the receiver's video in. (can you change this to a composite cable)

Then from the receiver to the TV:

1) A composite cable from receiver video out to the TV's video in.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    yeah that is exactly it. and i was able to connect the dvd and tv with a composite video and then i was able to get a picture but i still didnt have any sound. i dont know if its within settings for each unit or wires just arent hooked up right. like i dont know if the dvd component in to the reciever can be then sent out through the composite in the receiver to the tv

Might be settings on either your DVD or receiver. You'll need to make sure that your DVD is set to output audio by digital. Also make sure that the receiver is set for digital input.

Forum Regular
    Okay, I thought I had done that but I'll have to take a second look.

Another Question because sony tech isnt helping....
    on the receiver, can the DVD component IN be read from the video composite out that then connecects to the tv? can it transfer the signal internally and down-grade the signal or do i have to connectect them only with composite cables?

Sorry, I don't know if yours will do that. I know that mine will not.

Forum Regular
    okay the tech guy at sony said it doesnt so that means im back to composite only. oh well, just have to get a better tv now!!
    thanks for the help!

Anytime.

Good luck. Don't forget to come back and tell us how it all works out. Pics are fun if you take any.

Forum Regular
    alright, sounds good. have a good one!

Thread Information