Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Enough about Christmas. What are you doing NYE?

For the last couple of years we've spent NYE with two other couples. Each couple has hosted the gathering at their house and this year, it's our turn. One couple separated over the summer and the Mrs. has a new beau, so she'll be bringing him along. Sadly the Mr. half of that ex-couple will (understandably) not be joining us.

It'll be a pretty low key evening with lots of food and drink and good conversation. And, of course, the obligatory grilling of the New Beau . One of my favourite bands, The Trews, are playing at the NYE celebrations at a nearby city, so we'll be watching that on TV.

I'm not sure what we're serving yet...I'm thinking of a seafood buffet. But I know that I'll be making Bernd's tart for dessert . And I've already had a request from one couple to prepare a batch of my chocolate biscotti, so I'll be making those this afternoon.

What are your plans to bring in the New Year?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey FA,

My NYE will probably mirror yours in spirit--a smallish gathering among friends. After owing a bar for a few years I have no interest in going out for "amateur night". The press in these parts always plays up any NYE traffic incidents, so for the last couple of years the police have had an extremely STRONG presence on that evening. The smart money always says don't drink and drive anyway.

Cheers and have fun

We get to have two NYE parties this year. My parents are flying back to Florida New Year's morning, so we are having them over on the 30th. I've already made up another of Bernd's tarts. It looks better this time.
    Then on Sunday we are having a bunch of friends over. Wifey's cousin, as well as a few Pilipino friends that wifey has bonded with, will be over singing karaoke all night. I'm so glad that I set up a second system in the bedroom for that. The guys will be in the main room to watch football.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

We are having friends coming down from the Isle of Skye in Scotland. They will bring with them a bottle or two of a 30 year old Malt Whiskey. It will be a long night and a fragile morning.
    Foodwise I will do seared Tuna steaks with salad and a Thai green chicken curry with fragrant Basamti Rice. Dessert will be a Passion fruit and Vodka Mousse.
    Cheese and homemade oat buiscuits and the afformentioned Dram.

That's the plan anyway. Here is a toast to that all your plans are a success.

The Tarte au Citron seems to gone down well then.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    The Tarte au Citron seems to gone down well then.

Peace

Bernd
    Yep. Got another one in the oven right now. And...I bought a kitchen torch this morning so that I can carmelize the sugar without burning the crust (and since I've never used one of these before, hopefully, without burning the house down).

If you have any other little gems to share Bernd...I love to experiment with new recipes.

I'll be flying back in on NYE. First to Detroit, then back to Denver. I think it' s been snowing pretty good in Denver, so I think I'll be spending a night at an airport. I MISS MY DOG!!!!!!!!!! WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRA

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I usually go over to my ex-, and we play a game of Scrabble. This will be the first year that I miss it -- I was sick. Violently. Just now beginning to feel human. (Thanks in advance for any well-wishes.)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I usually go over to my ex-, and we play a game of Scrabble. This will be the first year that I miss it -- I was sick. Violently. Just now beginning to feel human. (Thanks in advance for any well-wishes.)
    Hey DC..........Happy New Year and I hope you're feeling better by now.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Pete, hope you're feeling human again.

We went to a concert at a local renovated theater. Three bands played, everything from from rockabilly to Pink Floyd. Good stuff. Food and drink were provided by local restaurants but the highlight for me was exploring this Grand 'Ol Dame of a theater. It was built waay back in the '30's with all of the cool interior mishmash of architecture that entails. A bit of Art Deco blended with Marakesh. Bizarre, but undeniably interesting. This was the first time I've been in the theater since it was finally closed as a bastardized triplex in the mid '80's. Thankfully, they've returned it to a single, huge stage with a tiered balcony. They even got the glowing stars in the ceiling working again!

AR Newbie Registered Member Ommadon's Avatar
    What am I doing NYE?

I was in train. Me and my friend decided that it must be cool. All in all I like it.
    If there is a gun hanging on the wall in the first act, it must fire in the last.

Thread Information