AR Newbie Registered Member

Advantage of running component video thru receiver?

Is there an advantage of running component video (RGB) signal thru my receiver other than the ability to switch between different sources?

I have Denon AVR-1804 as a receiver and wonder if it will amplify/filter/process the component video signal somehow? It does up-conversion (and down-conversion) between composite video and S-video. I only have a DVD as the only component source right now, and I can save up some money buying only one set of component cable.

Many thanks in advance,

Boonie
    Pasadena, CA

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by booniewillow
    Is there an advantage of running component video (RGB) signal thru my receiver other than the ability to switch between different sources?

I have Denon AVR-1804 as a receiver and wonder if it will amplify/filter/process the component video signal somehow? It does up-conversion (and down-conversion) between composite video and S-video. I only have a DVD as the only component source right now, and I can save up some money buying only one set of component cable.

Many thanks in advance,

Boonie
    Pasadena, CA
    Short answer -- No, there is no advantage other than saving the input selector on your TV. Running anyth video source through the receiver, although handy, will degrade the signal somewhat (although this would be very minor and should not noticable to your eyes). My advice -- run the cable from your DVD player straight to your TV and enjoy!

Forum Regular

One minor advantage

My Denon 1082 has a setup mode that appears on the TV screen. If the video signal does not go through the receiver, then I have to uplug the DVD and plug in the reciever video output to see this menu. If it goes through the receiever, then the menu just pops up when I access it. Not a big deal, as once you set up your receiver the set up is not likely to change frequently--unless you change speaker set up frequently.

Thread Information