Would You Recommend Speaker City Speakers?

High everybody!

I found in a second hand store...a pair of shiny black laminated near mint Speaker City brand speakers. Gold connectors, I guess for banana plugs in the rear (you can tell huh, Im a newbie).

The speakers are bookshelf or studio monitor size with sort of small but really nice rubber speakers/cones/construction.

Their just sitting there in a corner with the store owners not knowing anything about them in a small seconds store in a community that cares nothing about audiophile music appreciation...here in L.A. (You'll never find it! )

Anyway, my question is, before I fork the dough, are these pretty good? Any one have recommendations, experience or own Speaker City speakers?

Thanks for the expertise.

The movie Old School was funny... sorry I couldnt be any help.
    WV?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmmm...Do you see any speakers on this page that look the same:
    http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2...y_Code=HTSLCRC

How much? Geez, I might be interested. The speaker city I know only uses quality drivers to make well designed monitors. Far beyond the quality of similar priced stuff you'd find in Best Buy etc.
    Do you have a picture? Recognize any of the drivers? Is there a model name or number on the front or back?
    Not the EFE Ar.com DIY project speakers by chance? Speaker City use to sell those.
    If they're cheap enough they're probably worth buying anyway...

Thanks Kexo!

I'd say they're close to these:

But maybe closer to these...

Except they have a super Piano gloss look/exterior box and the speakers look really high end, rubbery etc. They are monitor size, not small nor big but look hefty.

I'm really considering them for my studio.

Do you think they'd be good for home studio recording. I have an amatuer outboard multitracker home stuido.

I just took one look at them and sort of left them untouched, been there for about a year...no one's found them...except me...

I may go today and buy them if the price is alright, might take a twenty!

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Hmmm, sounds like Vifa or Peerless woofer (rubbery - I'm guessing Polypropylene).
    Should be a quality unit regardless if its from the same Speaker City I know of...
    Let me know how you make out. Get a pic and I can identify the woofer and tweeter, maybe speaker and let you know what they're worth.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Have you heard them? I'd listen to them before I bought them. That Speaker City link is to a store, not a brand, I think the Speaker City you're looking at is older.

PS Never heard of 'em.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Yeah, Dusty's made a good point...of course I've ASSumed you'd listened to these first...If they sound like crap, they better be real cheap. Or at least be re-pawnable.

I know Speaker City slapped their logo on some of the speakers they use to sell- so someone who had never heard of the store would believe Speaker City was a brand.
    That doesn't mean there wasn't some other "Speaker City" brand years back...they could be crap? The only Speaker City I know of (aside from Old School) is older than me and has been selling custom made jobbies with their little name on them since the 70's...

Still $10-$20 or something small won't kill ya.

Thread Information