test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar

The joys of being a graduate student.

First... going to a high end audio store and listening to $7k+ home theater systems and having my parents say "while we can afford it no problem, we just can't hear the difference to justify it." I offered to give them my existing system in exchange for said $7k+ system, it didn't work

Second... living in apartments. I never much like to turn my music and movies up too loud too often so I don't bother neighbors, and I make a point to have my subwoofer placed so I don't have to have it turned up too much. But others aren't so aware of what a poorly placed sub (or no sub at all) can do.

We have neighbors downstairs who rather frequently listen to poppy music and I can hear oodles of midbass coming up here, more than I should for how loud they are listening to it. I finally got fed up after flying back from seeing the family and threw a DVD-A disc in my system (Blue Man Group - Audio) and cranked it up. I haven't heard their music playing since, and I think I will repeat this practice in the future.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Dude: headphones. I'm serious. K1000's would be best for movies, I would think. If your parents can afford a $7K system, perhaps they'll help you out on a K1000 based system.

Of course, you will, in all likelihood, still want a sub. But that's just because you're listening to HT.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Dude: headphones. I'm serious. K1000's would be best for movies, I would think. If your parents can afford a $7K system, perhaps they'll help you out on a K1000 based system.

Of course, you will, in all likelihood, still want a sub. But that's just because you're listening to HT.
    I like headphones too, but I don't care for them for home theater and do still mostly prefer listening to music through stereo speakers. Headphones won't really solve any of the things I mentioned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Do you ever listen to your headphones and unplug all of your speakers except for a sub? Integration is a biatch.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Do you ever listen to your headphones and unplug all of your speakers except for a sub? Integration is a biatch.
    I've tried something similar once. It's rather odd.

Agreed, no rat shack dB meter will allow you to find a perfect match.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've done better -- the K1000's are attached to speaker terminals, I've used K1000's with a sub. Do you know what? Didn't like it. One of the things I like about headphones is the lack of electronics in the signal path, including crossovers.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

If my kid asked for $7000 I would have told them "I could have had you aborted for $125".
    No but seriously..... I'd spoil them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
    If my kid asked for $7000 I would have told them "I could have had you aborted for $125".
    No but seriously..... I'd spoil them.
    I figure it was worth a shot

Anyone who says "they can't hear the difference" is deluding themselves. Of course they can--stores set systems up to be dramatically different from one another, if done properly.

It's also a good litmus test to weed out liars.
    Mr. JibJab

Quote Originally Posted by pikers
    Anyone who says "they can't hear the difference" is deluding themselves. Of course they can--stores set systems up to be dramatically different from one another, if done properly.

It's also a good litmus test to weed out liars.
    I'd say that for some people in their mid-60s and on there's a good possibility that they won't hear a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I'd say that for some people in their mid-60s and on there's a good possibility that they won't hear a difference.
    Listen here you YoungBuck. You dont know a thing about being 60+.
    Go play your devilish music somewhere else and get out!!!!

RA

Listen here you YoungBuck. You dont know a thing about being 60+.
    Go play your devilish music somewhere else and get out!!!!

RA
    You ain't no old fart.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    No Joke. Elderly man walks in into the Circuit City and says he needs a reciever for his daughter. I showed him two decent ones. Played 'em through the good speakers... He said 'i am deaf and can't hear 'em. Which one sounds better, young man?' Well of course the one with the higher spiff-to-noise ratio! (the one which paid the higher commision

sigh. Good days!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    No Joke. Elderly man walks in into the Circuit City and says he needs a reciever for his daughter. I showed him two decent ones. Played 'em through the good speakers... He said 'i am deaf and can't hear 'em. Which one sounds better, young man?' Well of course the one with the higher spiff-to-noise ratio! (the one which paid the higher commision

sigh. Good days!
    Okay, that's just horrible....

Suspended
    Best sub to headphone integration occurs when sitting on the sub

Thread Information