Thread: CD burners?

Forum Regular

CD burners?

Hi,
    If you want to burn songs for your cd player, is the quality of the cd burner relevant?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    IMHO, not really. The quality of the sound card is more important. I use a Sony burner in my PC along with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card to transfer my vinyl record collection to CD-R. The sound quality of the CDs I've burnt are excellent, rivaling the original vinyl.

Audiophile 24/96 sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    IMHO, not really. The quality of the sound card is more important. I use a Sony burner in my PC along with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card to transfer my vinyl record collection to CD-R. The sound quality of the CDs I've burnt are excellent, rivaling the original vinyl.

Audiophile 24/96 sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html
    Ok thanks.. i just don't understand why the soundcard is important for burning cds? Could you or somebody else please explain?
    Last edited by aztericx; 11-16-2006 at 01:40 PM.

nightflier
    I don't know if it will make a difference with audio, but at my work we go through CD burners like a hot knife through butter. The $20 burners definitely are low quality. Typically we'll get twice the life out of a Plextor burner than a generic brand (sometimes we even wear them out before the warrantee wears out, so we get some more life out of the replacement unit, usually a brand new one), so I do think that some manufacturers build more solid ones.

For the Audio portion, I would tend to agree with Glen B, although I haven't done enough burning / converting.

Quote Originally Posted by aztericx
    Ok thanks.. i just don't understand why the soundcard is important for burning cds? Could you or somebody else please explain?
    When converting LP's to CD the A to D converter in the sound card is very important. After all it does convert analog to digital. Therefore the best A to D converter you can get would be beneficial. Also, in this type of usage you should stay away from any kind of compression.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Hehe, I meant more like burning existing digital files on a cd. Guess the sound card isnt as important then

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztericx
    Hehe, I meant more like burning existing digital files on a cd. Guess the sound card isnt as important then
    Guess you're right. I've burnt a few digital files and can't tell the difference between the original and copy.

Thread Information