What's the "Best" Lord of the Rings...

I'm looking to buy the Trilogy. Which version is the best to buy?

Da Worfster

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I got this one:

Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I would think the extended edition set. The LE that just came out offers both versions of each film but I believe you loose the DTS track as well as some extras.

It was also noted that the DD track on TFOTR (I think) had some distortion issues.

Absolutely the extended editions. To some degree, an argument might be made that the theatrical cuts move the story along better, but the DVD quality with the extended version is undeniably the best. Here's the skinny on the three DVD versions of the LOTR trilogy.

Theatrical Cuts - These two-disc sets crammed each 3-hour movie onto a single disc. The video quality suffered by comparison, and the audio was DD-only with the audio on FOTR mixed way too high to the point of distortion at times. The second disc in each set contains production notes and features originally featured on the web, and the trailers. The primary advantage to going with this version is price -- it's easy to find these for dirt cheap. I've seen these editions sell for as little as $5 at Best Buy.

Extended Editions - These four-disc sets visibly improved the video quality and feature DD EX and DTS ES soundtracks (the tracks on the extended FOTR are much improved over the original theatrical cut DVD). Plus, you get the more involved extended versions of the movies. But, IMO the real reason to go with this edition is the incredible variety of documentary features included with the sets -- two discs worth with each set. Each of these sets also include four separate commentary tracks. The supplemental features on the theatrical and extended edition DVDs are different, with no carryovers from one edition to the other.

New "Limited" Editions - The newer limited editions give you the option via seamless branching of viewing either the theatrical cut or the extended cut, but they also eliminate the stellar DTS ES soundtrack that came with the 4-disc extended edition sets. From what I understand, the video quality on these editions is better than the original theatrical cut DVDs and close to the extended editions because they use flipper discs. Personally, I think both the theatrical and extended cuts are worth repeat viewing, so this might be a good purchase if you want to see both versions. But, the only bonus feature on the limited edition is a brand new behind-the-scenes documentary for each movie. None of the supplemental features from the previous editions carry over.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thank guys....

Mucho kudos, I went with the "EE's" off of Amazon.com. Used/New for 35 bucks, cain't beat it.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Lotr

I really like the DD-EX on the extended edition, has hellish bass.

The extended version has fabulous qualtiy to it, but personally i bought the extended version set as well, and because of the all the added material i find the movies are way too long. But then again im not the biggest lord of the rings fan, I found the original movies a bit long so...
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    The one not to get is the Ralph Bakshi version.........
    Almost saw a movie theater manager lynched when that one was foisted on the public years ago.

Thread Information