Do we really need 3 yr old CDs remastered?

I guess Sony must think so since I was just checking on the upcoming new Modest Mouse album (due Apr 6) and find this at the Epic site:

The Moon & Antarctica -- Expanded Edition will be released on March 9. Completely remastered with all new artwork, this will also feature 4 bonus tracks never before released. These tracks ("3rd Planet," "Perfect Disguise," "Custom Concern (instr.)", and "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes") were taken from a BBC session done in July of '99, nearly a year before The Moon & Antarctica's original release.

You would think that a better strategy would be to make this a hybrid SACD and finally release some new rock music in high rez. This would have been a great candidate because it was a very good recording, IMO (and I said the same thing three years ago too). But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip

Forum Regular

Well, it depends on what kind of d:a converter was used

If they used a Synergetics 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, it has 35% THD at 50GHz, which is audible by some audiophiles.

Therefore, it had to be remastered.

Dave

Forum Regular
    Well, this is all a buzz kill, as the apparently-flawed version is on its way to me from CHM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip
    I have no idea how long this has been in the works, but it seems a bit odd and too coincidental that MM's songs (or is it just one song so far?) are being used in high-rotation commecials, and now there's news of a remaster/reissue.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

No....

I guess Sony must think so since I was just checking on the upcoming new Modest Mouse album (due Apr 6) and find this at the Epic site:

The Moon & Antarctica -- Expanded Edition will be released on March 9. Completely remastered with all new artwork, this will also feature 4 bonus tracks never before released. These tracks ("3rd Planet," "Perfect Disguise," "Custom Concern (instr.)", and "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes") were taken from a BBC session done in July of '99, nearly a year before The Moon & Antarctica's original release.

You would think that a better strategy would be to make this a hybrid SACD and finally release some new rock music in high rez. This would have been a great candidate because it was a very good recording, IMO (and I said the same thing three years ago too). But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip
    especially not that dreadful POS.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

The obvious answer is a resounding NO.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Thread Information