Well, I Finally Picked Up A Couple 2004 Discs

Stopped by Best Buy for ink and couldn't resist picking up a couple of discs. Grabbed the new Air and the new Southern Coulture on the Skids.

The Air is excellent. As I've seen written quite a bit, it is a return more to the downtempo style of Moon Safari. For those of you that thought 10,000 Hrtz Legend was a good move and a step forward, you may be disappointed. For those of you like me that thought it was a weak album, this one should be much more pleasing. Not sure yet if it's the freshness of it or the quality, but it sounds even better than Moon Safari to me right now. Comes with a decent DVD with them doing 5 songs live.

The Southern Culture on the Skids disc is kinda spotty to me. I've been pretty luke warm on everything of theirs since Dirt Track Date, and this one has a fair amount of what comes across as filler to me. Still, songs like Double Wide and '69 Camino shine through, and I really like the laid back tune The Sweet Spot. I wouldn't quite call it a return to form, but it's a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by nobody; 02-06-2004 at 06:24 AM.

not an '04 release, but I recently picked up Jay Z's "Black Album"

It's my most recent purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Stopped by Best Buy for ink and couldn't resist picking up a couple of discs. Grabbed the new Air and the new Southern Coulture on the Skids.

The Air is excellent. As I've seen written quite a bit, it is a return more to the downtempo style of Moon Safari. For those of you that thought 10,000 Hrtz Legend was a good move and a step forward, you may be disappointed. For those of you like me that thought it was a weak album, this one should be much more pleasing. Not sure yet if it's the freshness of it or the quality, but it sounds even better than Moon Safari to me right now. Comes with a decent DVD with them doing 5 songs live.

The Southern Culture on the Skids disc is kinda spotty to me. I've been pretty luke warm on everything of theirs since Dirt Track Date, and this one has a fair amount of what comes across as filler to me. Still, songs like Double Wide and '69 Camino shine through, and I really like the laid back tune The Sweet Spot. I wouldn't quite call it a return to form, but it's a step in the right direction.
    My 1st 2004 came in the mail yesterday; Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld. The Pitchfork review describes it much better than I can, particularly after only 2 spins, but it is very fine.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...derworld.shtml
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I'll have to listen to Snuffbox Immanence again, I remember not being that impressed with it. Let us know if it's as good as this review sounds. The description of the title track sounds somewhat like Subarachnoid Space -- are you into them at all? Psychedelic drone jam instrumental band. Think a garage version of GYBE.

Link here
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information