nightflier

Quick question about the Marantz SA8260

None of the online retailers seems to be able to (or willing to) answer this: does the Marantz SA8260 have bass management?

nightflier
    Anyone?

Looks like a big NO

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    None of the online retailers seems to be able to (or willing to) answer this: does the Marantz SA8260 have bass management?

But double check for yourself. Here's the link to the User Guide ...

nightflier

ICBM is the only option?

So pretty much the only way to get bass management with this player is to use an external device like the ICMB? I don't get it, even a basic DVD player (with SACD, maybe $150), has bass management. You'd think that Marantz could have included that on a $1000 player, heck even their own DVD players all have it.

I had an opportunity to purchase one of these second hand, but I really would prefer the bass management. Oh well, onto other players, then...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey flier,

What about a Denon 2910? With the new model coming out these can be had on the cheap and there are plenty of aftermarket modes (Exemplar, Modwright, etc.). Hell, you could even throw a tube stage into the mix...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

You are looking for bass management in 2ch right? Could you not just use subwoofer's crossover?

I ended up backing out of a 2nd hand Sony 999ES. Maybe next year.

nightflier

Multichannel is a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    You are looking for bass management in 2ch right?
    Jrhymeammo,

No I was under the impression that the Marantz was a multi-channel player. If so, it just seems ridiculous that a $1K multi-channel SACD player does not have bass management. Almost every DVD player and universal player does this. I know that there are 2-channel SACD players out there, but that's about as useful to me as HDCD was - don't know why they even bothered 2-channel SACD as an option in the first place....

Bobsticks,

I'm actually looking for something a little higher-end than the 2910, but I'm not ready to spend more than $1000 for it.

Jrhymeammo,

No I was under the impression that the Marantz was a multi-channel player. If so, it just seems ridiculous that a $1K multi-channel SACD player does not have bass management. Almost every DVD player and universal player does this. I know that there are 2-channel SACD players out there, but that's about as useful to me as HDCD was - don't know why they even bothered 2-channel SACD as an option in the first place....
    I remember reading audio Mags back around 2001 and that was the biggest problem with SACD/DVD-A players. I guess they didnt resolve that issue before introducing that model. Authors used to complain how 98% of enthusiasts cant afford 5 full range speakers.
    I guess you are interested in X-ch setups now.

Just kidding, enjoy.

-JRA

I am personally enjoying my Denon 2910, which I am using as my primary CD transport since you can modify it so that you eliminate the video section of the player to make it a pure Audio-only transport with just the flick of a button on the remote. Great unit that is sturdy, stable, and sounds great.

nightflier
    Peru,

I meant no disrespect. The 2910 is a great player/transport. I was just looking for something a bit higher like the 3910, but without the $1500 price-tag. Marantz, apparently owned by the same company, has always been at the top of my list, but I'm just a little bit disapointed that a dedicated SACD player won't include bass management.

I have owned a few Marantz players over the past few years and have used them for different applications. They are a bit 'quicky' to me and the Denon's have always seemed a bit more solid in nature. Maybe that's just my limited personal experience, but I would take a Denon over a Marantz anyday, unless it's something like the Flagship Marantz SACD 5.1 players, which are $3000 or so.

Just out of curiosity have you looked at NAD or Cambridge? Although I think only the top of the line NAD players do SACD.

Dsp

Jrhymeammo,

In general I'd guess that bass management is best done in digital mode; that requires some sort of DSP, (digital signal processor). From what I've heard, the SA8260 is pure DSD, (Direct Stream Digital, i.e. SACD), where there is no DSP to PCM, (pulse code modulation), conversion. PCM DSPs are plentiful, but there are, or were at the time the SA8260 was introduced, no DSD DSPs, ergo, there is no bass management on the SA8260. Even today, all or almost all players use PCM DSPs and require a DSD=>PCM conversion for base management, time delays, equalization and other DSP functions.

nightflier
    Feanor,

That makes a lot of sense. I don't remember when the SA8260 was introduced, but I know it wasn't too recently. It sounds like the best solution, if I were to purchase this player, would be to couple it with an Outlaw ICBM (which I don't have have handy anymore, drats!). I also don't care for all the extra cables involved - I have this nagging feeling that it would be more technically sound for all that to be built-in and in close proximity.

Peru,

Would you rank the SA8260 among the "quicky" players that don't have a solid build? Maybe with a few DIY or aftermarket tweaks (e.g. http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...ory_Code=MODS), this might actually be a giant killer?

So this is a MC SACD player. If it doesnt have a bass mgmt option, then why does it have a dedicated subout on the back? I'm confused on how this thread turned out. I wanted this player for 2chs. Now, I dont wanna pay for 3-4 extra channels. Very confused.

-JRA
    Is it possible to get a SA14 for $900 shipped?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It has the 6th output because disks (DVD, SACD, etc.) have separate audio streams on the 6th channel. I.E. it is a discrete subaudio channel.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

that's exactly what I thought. Was just confused on how nightflier took it.

-JRA

nightflier
    JRA,

I'm not sure I understand. I almost never listen to SACD in stereo mode. I consider it a bit of a waste since SACD shines in surround sound. I'm looking to replace my againg universal player with a high quality SACD player, and the Marantz seemed to fit the bill, but it does not offer bass management. I suppose I could add an ICBM, but that's a pretty messy setup with all the wires. I would rather avoid that.

JRA,

I'm not sure I understand. I almost never listen to SACD in stereo mode. I consider it a bit of a waste since SACD shines in surround sound. I'm looking to replace my againg universal player with a high quality SACD player, and the Marantz seemed to fit the bill, but it does not offer bass management. I suppose I could add an ICBM, but that's a pretty messy setup with all the wires. I would rather avoid that.
    I guess I'm not understanding anything at all. Maybe I should just stay away from digital. I just thought 8260 offered bass mgmt since it has 6ch outputs. I think I'm gonna go with SA8001 just to avoid the whole confusion.

-JRA

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Most players don't have bass management -- you usually have to get a prepro to do that.

And I listen to SACD almost exclusively in stereo, as it sounds better to my ears than CD, and I usually listen on headphones.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

2 channel lover
    well i hate to be the baer of bad news but marantz isnt the same company of the 60s an 70s anymore !!!!! and that really does stink too ive got alot of the older stuff tucked away in a secert hidin spot too
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

nightflier
    Dusty,

Since I am just getting back into headphones, that may be a reality for me too in the near future, but I still think there is something quite magical about classical music in 5 channels. No stereo recording can recreate that. It's perhaps the one reason why my headphone listening has been so limitted. My 2-channel system is my "reference" system, but I think listeing to my SACD's with two speakers is like driving a Porshe with the parking brake on.

Thread Information