Bill L

Maggie crossover wire/inductor foil protection

Having upgraded the crossover caps and inductor on my Maggie 1.6's a little while ago, I'm generally pleased with the results. Still haven't finished the boxes to house the the now-external crossover (will get around to that eventually).

One nagging problem, however. I got some poly shrink tubing (the kind specifically made for wire) but had much trouble with it. I expected it to shrink up and collapse around the wire when I heated it, but it just kinda shriveled up and didn't provide any kind of a good seal at all. It doesn't do at all for the foil strips on the inductors

I've noticed a slight bit of corrosion (oh no!) at the end of the exposed inductor foils, so I've been spraying them down with DE-OXIT cleaner on a frequent basis. I definitely need some protection here. What can I use? I think DE-OXIT makes some kind of thick gel that hardens after application, but am uncertain if this stuff is the right thing to use.

Is electrical tape a no no?

If Flo hasn't noticed this thread you might want to pm him about this. He has lots of experience with replacement crossovers for Maggy's.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Bill L
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    If Flo hasn't noticed this thread you might want to pm him about this. He has lots of experience with replacement crossovers for Maggy's.

Florian, Oh Florian, where are you when I need you??

Don't be anal

Quote Originally Posted by bubslewis

Is electrical tape a no no?
    Use good-old electrical tape until you find something else and have time to apply it.

Thread Information