AR Newbie Registered Member

dorm speaker placement

I live in a dorm room, and i bought the new audioengine5 speaker setup www.audioengineusa.com

I placed one of them on my mini fridge microwave setup and another on a shelf unit. Will i run into any longterm issues having one of tthe speakers over the microwave? will it get damaged if i use the speakers and microwave at the same time? anything else i should watch out for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison87
    Will i run into any longterm issues having one of tthe speakers over the microwave?
    Not unless the nearby RF generated causes the internal amps to oscillate.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison87
    anything else i should watch out for?
    Well, a microwave oven is effectively a 2.45 Ghz radio transmitter. Potentially, such RF pollution can be indirectly picked up and amplified through the system. I would move it.

rw

Room acoustic of dormrooms are terrible at best. I know mine was... My vintage system at the time was made by Nippon Columbia Co, which I believe is now Denon. Man, that was a great system at the time.
    You may want to consider getting one of those Bob Marley Splif curtin made of hemp or somem with tie-dye. What ever your flavor is, they should improve your sound. If you interest is just to play as loud as you can, then forget about everything, and just blow thru a tube with fabric softner. Just enjoy while you can, and study as much as you can.
    Trust me
    BTW, those things look really cool. Specs look very impressive too. Let us know how they sound in Portable Audio forum.
    Good luck to you on this semester.
    -JRA

The big question is: which speaker is placed on the microwave? I agree with E-stat that the microwave could create noise in your amp. But since the amp is only in the left speaker, having the right one on the microwave would be okay from that standpoint. That said, the vibration created by the refrigerator motor won't be helping your sound. Also placing speakers near other objects impacts the sound. This is why speaker stands are so popular. Symmetry is also huge in affecting sound. The more you can get the speakers to be the same distance from the walls and other objects, and the closer they are to being the same height and distance from you, the better. Placing speakers where the tweeters are on the same plane as your ears in your listening position yields tremendous dividends. As jrhymeammo said, dorms are tremendously difficult places to set up a good system. But try to get as close as you can.

Thread Information