Talking Shopping With The Boss

Well, buy boss walks into my shop today and announces "Lets Go Speaker Shopping"
    I go, whata nuts, He's been wanting to upgrade ever sense I told him his Bose Life-
    style system sounded like crap. So off we go to get the Polk Audio Monitor 70/40
    combo, with matching center and a 12" sub, psb12 or something. Also the Pioneer
    Elite VSX 74TXVi A/V receiver. Dropped like 3g's in 15 minutes. I guess he knew
    what he wanted. On paper, it looks like a pretty good rig. I'll check it out over the
    weekend. Anyone familar with those speakers? I know the lowdown on the receiver.
    Thanks
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Well, buy boss walks into my shop today and announces "Lets Go Speaker Shopping"
    I go, whata nuts, He's been wanting to upgrade ever sense I told him his Bose Life-
    style system sounded like crap. So off we go to get the Polk Audio Monitor 70/40
    combo, with matching center and a 12" sub, psb12 or something. Also the Pioneer
    Elite VSX 74TXVi A/V receiver. Dropped like 3g's in 15 minutes. I guess he knew
    what he wanted. On paper, it looks like a pretty good rig. I'll check it out over the
    weekend. Anyone familar with those speakers? I know the lowdown on the receiver.
    Thanks
    Those speakers wouldn't be on *my* list if I were shopping in that price range (then again, I have already gone on record previously as not caring for the Polk speakers I have heard in the past, so please note my bias)... Everyone has different tastes though, so maybe they match up with your boss's? The PSB sub also would not be on my list but is a quality product IMO that I am sure most would be happy with.

My guess, though, is he again went with brand name recognition as opposed to sound. 15 minutes is hardly enough time to really make any serious speaker purchasing decision IMO.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Those speakers wouldn't be on *my* list if I were shopping in that price range (then again, I have already gone on record previously as not caring for the Polk speakers I have heard in the past, so please note my bias)... Everyone has different tastes though, so maybe they match up with your boss's? The PSB sub also would not be on my list but is a quality product IMO that I am sure most would be happy with.

My guess, though, is he again went with brand name recognition as opposed to sound. 15 minutes is hardly enough time to really make any serious speaker purchasing decision IMO.

---Dave
    Totally agree, He had in his mind made up, and that was that. God knows I gave him
    plenty of reviews from axiom/b+w/svs etc. He wanted to be able to drive to a store
    buy his gear, and drive home, and if there were any issues, have a easy return
    transaction. At least he canned the Bose stuff. BTW, with the dvd "Gone in 60
    Seconds" playing, the system was'nt to bad (with a H/K AVR). In music mode,
    so, so. Not my thing, but hey, it wasn't my 3k.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Forum Regular
    I bet he is much happier with speakers which he decided to get (regardless of whether they sound better), than having some wise ass from work (you ) tell him exactly what he should get. Especially bosses usually like to caress their own ego and tell themselves in the mirror that they did a good job today. Even if you think it sounds like ****, if you're at his house listening to his new gear tell him that it sounds as good or maybe even better than your own set-up... that is if you want a raise any time soon.

I had the wrong idea

I thought this thread was about shopping for speakers with the wifey.

The system he/you picked out should sound many times better than that Life-style system. Welcome your boss to our road to audio bliss.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    For what it's worth, Polk and H/K usually make a good match in my experience, even if Polks aren't the best speakers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    I bet he is much happier with speakers which he decided to get (regardless of whether they sound better), than having some wise ass from work (you ) tell him exactly what he should get. Especially bosses usually like to caress their own ego and tell themselves in the mirror that they did a good job today. Even if you think it sounds like ****, if you're at his house listening to his new gear tell him that it sounds as good or maybe even better than your own set-up... that is if you want a raise any time soon.
    Not a bad idea, but I'm never down with any ego boosting, I'm going over today to do
    the SPL/TEST DISC, routine, and check his bi-wiring, We'll see how it all goes later
    today.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I thought this thread was about shopping for speakers with the wifey.

The system he/you picked out should sound many times better than that Life-style system. Welcome your boss to our road to audio bliss.
    I wish that was the case, but audio shopping with her can get touchy. I swear, if
    I bring one more speaker in here, I don't think I'd be waking up tomorrow. Not
    having a dedicated "listening" room set up yet, has shall we say, put the friggin
    "no mas" on the hobby, till the next purchase. Having 3 sets of vintage monitors
    that weigh 50lbs each was not a good plan for a living room (my fault), but hey
    I had no choice.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

The first step

Interesting thread.
    Like most not associated with forums like this, convenience is probably a major issue with yr. boss. No problem with that. The cool thing is that he's taken that first step toward the addiction Several of my buddies have undertaken the upgrade path after "inheriting" pieces of equipment. Usually, one just has to hear the difference and maybe after some tweaking bossman's system will have some synergy.
    In any event it's going to be an improvement...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi everyone..my first post. I am looking to upgrade my main speaker, which are Energy e:xl 26's. I have a budget of $1200.00 and would be open to suggestion's as to what I should test drive. My music tastes range from Joni Mitchell to Slayer and I equally enjoy the home theater experience. My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1300, rears are Energy c-1 and my sub is a Paradigm pdr-12. Where I live (Nova Scotia) I have the oppertunity of testing Warfedale Diamond 9.6, Energy c-500, Klipsch rf 62, Monitor Audios RS 6 and Paradigm Monitor 7V2 .

Quote Originally Posted by carl h
    Hi everyone..my first post. I am looking to upgrade my main speaker, which are Energy e:xl 26's. I have a budget of $1200.00 and would be open to suggestion's as to what I should test drive. My music tastes range from Joni Mitchell to Slayer and I equally enjoy the home theater experience. My receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1300, rears are Energy c-1 and my sub is a Paradigm pdr-12. Where I live (Nova Scotia) I have the oppertunity of testing Warfedale Diamond 9.6, Energy c-500, Klipsch rf 62, Monitor Audios RS 6 and Paradigm Monitor 7V2 .
    Welcome Carl. You may want to post this as a new thread as it really has nothing to do with the OP. I am sure that way you will get the responses you need.

Regards,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Interesting thread.
    Like most not associated with forums like this, convenience is probably a major issue with yr. boss. No problem with that. The cool thing is that he's taken that first step toward the addiction Several of my buddies have undertaken the upgrade path after "inheriting" pieces of equipment. Usually, one just has to hear the difference and maybe after some tweaking bossman's system will have some synergy.
    In any event it's going to be an improvement...

Cheers
    Well I went over and balanced everything out, he used pioneers MCACC set-up mic,
    as he should have for start-up, but he had everything set to "large", and the cross-
    over was way off. He started goofing with the manual speaker settings. Fixed all
    that, did the SPL set-up, and got the audio right for his HD. It sounds great in DVD
    playback, we checked out KING KONG as a test, but for rock music, it ain't
    gonna cut it, for me anyway. He's into CW/Classical/Jazz. We threw on some
    Toby Keith, and it was ok. BTW, that Elite receiver, not to bad, and say what you
    like about polk stuff, but that sub also, not to bad. Thanks, later
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Even marginal speakers can sound better than good speakers improperly calibrated or poorly placed.

I see a lot of nice equipment from members on this site but very few of them have them properly set up or calibrated.

If you help him more with the latter, I am sure those Polks will sound just fine.

Thread Information