Handheld LP cleaning machine

I came real close to buying a used record cleaning machine for around $125 last weekend. Pretty damn good deal, but I still cant get over the "SUCKER" feeling.

I've seen 2, 3 DIY LP vac on the net, but they are all trying to make it look like Nitty/VPI machines.

Anybody here get a $25 handheld wet-vac and taping strips of velvet on the end of the nozzle? I can't imaging this taking more than 15 minutes to assemble.

Thanks
    JRA

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My Ultimate Record Cleaning Machine is complete.

-Dirt Devil Spot Scubber
    -2 LAST Microfiber Brush
    -Glue Gun.

I always wondered what I was going to do with used up LAST Microfiber Brushes. After about 30-40 times of cleaning, that damn thing will start to peel off everytime. So I ended up glueing 2 pieces of brushes I peeled off to the mouth of a nozzle.

This URCM is extremey ghetto, but works Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

One weakness about my URCM is that I can't really use it past midnight. This sucker is kinda loud.

PEACE.

Great Idea!
    Although I have a Record Doctor RCM I think I'll be making one per your idea.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I came real close to buying a used record cleaning machine for around $125 last weekend. Pretty damn good deal, but I still cant get over the "SUCKER" feeling.

I've seen 2, 3 DIY LP vac on the net, but they are all trying to make it look like Nitty/VPI machines.
    JRA

I could have written those same words myself. Those Nitty Grittys sell for a lot. Even broken ones are selling for over $100.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Great Idea!
    Although I have a Record Doctor RCM I think I'll be making one per your idea.
    I've responsed to two Record Doctor posts only to find they had already been sold. What do you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    I've responsed to two Record Doctor posts only to find they had already been sold. What do you think of it?
    I'm glad I bought it. The vacuum function makes it worth it. The fact that they don't last long on the used market should tell you something. I usually wash new (to me) vinyl twice before playing. This process has made some LP's that looked un-salvageable very playable.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I need to come up with some solution to this myself. But I'm not spending hundreds as a graduate student on a record cleaner. I suppose when I get desperate enough I'll devise a contraption of my own.

Too bad you can't just put them in the dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I need to come up with some solution to this myself. But I'm not spending hundreds as a graduate student on a record cleaner. I suppose when I get desperate enough I'll devise a contraption of my own.

Too bad you can't just put them in the dishwasher.
    I totally feel you on that, but that is one of many reasons why we go to colleges. Well, College degrees will never guarantee anything......
    $600 is way too much for me right now, but I'm about 8 weeks away from having enough doe to buy VPI Scout!!!! I'm soooo excited. Anyhow,

I think you should really try it until the day we get VPI/Disc Doctor/NIttyG. IMO there are only so mcuh carbonfiber brushs and wet cleaning methods can do. They just cannot pick up all the debris. LAST products suggest using 3drops of solutions per side. That amount isnt going to get the job done. I think you will benefit so much more by applying a squirt of homemade solution then sucking it dry.

How do you like your DL-110? I should be playing with it by next week.

I'm very happy with the DL-110. It is a fairly high output MC so I suppose it could be tricky with some preamps. It has a clean, detailed sound with plenty of punch and depth. It's really all I could ask for at this price and then some.

I haven't had enough extended listening with enough other cartridges to form a comparison of it vs others, for example I've never heard the Grado Silver.

Thanks Emorphine. I can't wait to see if I'll be happy it with as much as you are. If you ever consider a Grado Silver cart. Save your money and just get a Red. If Blue then Green, just based on QC issues.

BTW, do you attend Eastman? My sister went there and I got kicked out of a bar for dirnking underaged.....cool city doe.

I totally feel you on that, but that is one of many reasons why we go to colleges. Well, College degrees will never guarantee anything......
    $600 is way too much for me right now, but I'm about 8 weeks away from having enough doe to buy VPI Scout!!!! I'm soooo excited. Anyhow,

I think you should really try it until the day we get VPI/Disc Doctor/NIttyG. IMO there are only so mcuh carbonfiber brushs and wet cleaning methods can do. They just cannot pick up all the debris. LAST products suggest using 3drops of solutions per side. That amount isnt going to get the job done. I think you will benefit so much more by applying a squirt of homemade solution then sucking it dry.

How do you like your DL-110? I should be playing with it by next week.
    There's some guys over at audiokarma who would love that Marantz TT. Think about it. After you get that VPI you'll never use it again.

I havent been able to fix my Marantz so I use it to clean my records and sometimes CDs. It's still spinning 3% slower than 33 1/3rpm. If I was a jerk like some ebayers, I could sell it for around $50. Im still kinda dissapoinmted about it too. It's a solid table and was really excited to hear how this vintage table songs. I tried to fix it with helps from DeanM, JMichael, and RoyPhil. 'though I couldnt resolve the issue, I appreciated the help guys. Thanks.

P.S. Im having a second thought on VPI.
    -JRA

Thanks Emorphine. I can't wait to see if I'll be happy it with as much as you are. If you ever consider a Grado Silver cart. Save your money and just get a Red. If Blue then Green, just based on QC issues.

BTW, do you attend Eastman? My sister went there and I got kicked out of a bar for dirnking underaged.....cool city doe.
    No, I'm a student at RIT. Starting my graduate studies (again, kinda) this fall. That's an interesting story. I used to play a couple instruments though, but nothing at the Eastman level. I'll pick them up again when I have more time though.

It is a nice city, lots of cool stuff going on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    No, I'm a student at RIT. Starting my graduate studies (again, kinda) this fall. That's an interesting story. I used to play a couple instruments though, but nothing at the Eastman level. I'll pick them up again when I have more time though.

It is a nice city, lots of cool stuff going on all the time.
    Okay that's enough chitchat, get crackin on that handheld URCM!!!

I'm going to give it a try soon I think.

-Dirt Devil Spot Scubber
    -2 LAST Microfiber Brush
    Way to go!

Please 'splain me these two things. I know of a dirt devil handheld vac...

Quote Originally Posted by tin ear
    Way to go!

Please 'splain me these two things. I know of a dirt devil handheld vac...
    Click on below link for crappy photos.
    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showg...243898&cat=500

LAST Microfiber brush is this applicator that cost about $3 a piece. http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it....&category=1180 They are not worth a dime for durability. I had a bunch of them sitting around so I just used glue gun to the nozzle area and turned out to be a perfect size.
    Some of DIY sites I checked suggested using some velvet material but I didnt need to.

I guess the hardest part is to make sure you dont scratch record surface with bottom of DIrt Devil. I taped some fabric on areas that may come in contact.

You can also checkout these sites.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm
    http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
    http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/rc1.html
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-39608.html

If you are handy, please build me one of those. But I'm content with mine.

If you are handy, please build me one of those. But I'm content with mine.
    Actually, I do consider myself handy. As soon as I get my new cartridge and am thereby faced with the reality that my old TT is such a POS that I need a new one, I know what the old TT's next incarnation will be. I liked the one made out of a printer stand. Not complicated - good.

Love the tube amp, BTW. Sounds like about what I'm looking for some day. Listening with the lights out must be a beautiful thing.

Thread Information