Forum Regular

Are you a musician?

I've noticed a few of our members have commented that they play a guitar, drums or sax.

If you are a working or wanna be musician please tell us somethin' 'bout yourself.

I'll start it off by saying I started playing and collecting (Taylor) acoustic guitars 8 years ago. A few years ago added some electrics (PRS CU22 and McCarty & Fender Strat) to the collection. I play fingerstyle on my acoutics and mostly rhythm on the electrics. My music tastes run from surf music to classic rock and everything in between except Country. I was in a band until I relocated 1,200 miles earlier this year. Now I'm looking to start another band.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Play cello, piano and guitar here...hard to find gigs with the cello though.
    Music tastes are all over the map.
    I've pretty much surrendered to the reality I'll never be the next Warren Haynes or Ben Folds, but it beats collecting stamps.

used to play the piano, but now i stopped doing that, simply because i didn't liked it anymore, piano is a beautifull instrument, when played in a group of instruments, otherwise, it's boring
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    used to play the piano, but now i stopped doing that, simply because i didn't liked it anymore, piano is a beautifull instrument, when played in a group of instruments, otherwise, it's boring
    Actually, Piano is probably my favorite instrument when played alone - most other instruments can't do nearly as much, play as many styles of music, or play as many octaves as piano or organ. Perhaps the Harp is as versatile, but I can't get into most Harp music that much.

Used to play. Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass. Played an electric bass in several bands. The life style was more destructive than I could handle. Just listen now.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Played violin from grade school through high school, and dabbled a little bit with keyboard in between. Once I got into college, I found my time much better served watching live music from the audience and hanging out with musicians, than trying to be one of them! Wound up working as a concert director in college, so I got to know a lot of musicians, and indulge in musical interests in other ways.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Two cellists?hhmmmn...

I played the cello for nine years and deeply regret having given it up. At the time I was, of course, too cool for the instrument. In retrospect, the instrument was probably too cool for me
    I have played the guitar, off and on, for over twenty years. I'm currently down to just a few Jacksons and a Steinberger but I've had my eye on a Gretsch White Falcon as of late (obvious my musical tastes have changed, eh). I don't play in a group regularly, but I have sat in with some friends on some downtown jazz sets--maybe five times in the last three years.
    As for Joe's observation about the lifestyle, I felt the same way about owning a bar. Some days I think I'm still hungover and I sold the damn thing seven years ago

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I've been a drummer since I was 6 yrs old, which is bit over...ahem...30 years ago. I played drumline in HS and in jazz and rock bands for a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that anymore, although I still enjoy sitting down and working up a good sweat now and again. Of course, some would question the validity of a "drummer" considering themselves a "musician." I figure if you can read music, you qualify.

Then again, all I really do is beat the *@$# out of things.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have played piano and organ since I was 5 y/o. Though jazz and gospel are the types of music I started on, I have played classical, R&B, and a little rock over the years. I still play some live shows for local singers, but most of my playing now is writing and doing studio work. I find my interest in live performances waning quite a bit as I get older.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Guitar...

...for forty years...acoustic, electric, rock, jazz, country, classical, slide...in fact I have a modded Gibson with a brass nut and bridge specific for that purpose...I concentrate on finger-style (standard and non-standard tunings) and jazz nowadays...bass, keyboards, harmonica (diatonic and chromatic), kalimba...and if we can consider programmable drum machines an instrument, drums...

I'm in the process of building a fretless guitar out of oak and walnut specifically for pedal-steel (C6, etc.) tunings...started out with a nylon-stringed 2x4...chording is a b!tch, but glissandos and microtones are interesting...

jimHJJ(...given the option I could play all day...)

P.S. Solo piano boring???????
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I took lessons on the flute for 4 years. Then picked up an electric guitar when I turned 16. Was in a "band" for a couple of years but was never really good enough to call myself a musician. Haven't picked either guitar in years. One is an Epiphone Geneses and the other is a Steinberg. Got a great deal on the Steinberg as I was close friends with the shop manager while they were still here in Newburgh. She moved with them to Nashville.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Not yet! Bought this for my son but Im the one learning This take all the rest of my spare time.It's a Sonor all maple drum set ,lots of cymbals not on stand yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you a musician?-s2010376.jpg  

My son took up guitar when he was 9, stayed with it for a year, then heard a Rush
    track, and said he wanted to try drums, figures..and has played ever since. He's in
    highschool now in the marching band, as a freshmen..and also in there jazz band
    side project. His drum teacher says he's way ahead of were a kid his age should
    be, and when I hear him, I have to agree. Lately he's been working hard on getting
    more hand speed down. He says Neil Peart is hard to get down (an understatement)
    because all drum tracks are off beat, on purpose. I checked that out on 2112, and
    it does sound that way, a tough guy to try and practice with. I play around on his
    guitar, a Les Paul Standard copy, and a Peavy amp. We can do "Wipeout" togather
    and noodle around stuff, It keeps him out of trouble, thats all we can ask for. Later
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    My son took up guitar when he was 9, stayed with it for a year, then heard a Rush
    track, and said he wanted to try drums
    Allow me to compliment you on your son's great taste. Has he heard Dream Theater yet? You may want to introduce him to the drumming of Mike Portnoy...right up there with Peart.

I am a musician with no talent. A musician at heart, I might say. In my years I have played Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Clarinet, Flute, Guitar and Keyboard.

Guitar is the only one that I've stuck with. I have a Yamaha acoustic that I purchased 22 years ago and still love. Two years ago, I fulfilled a 20 year old dream by purchasing an Ovation. We recently bought a used keyboard so I'm thinking about piano lessons.

My husband is a drummer (and actually talented, unlike me) and also owns an electric guitar and a bass. Between us, we have enough instruments in our house to outfit a full band.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Allow me to compliment you on your son's great taste. Has he heard Dream Theater yet? You may want to introduce him to the drumming of Mike Portnoy...right up there with Peart.

I am a musician with no talent. A musician at heart, I might say. In my years I have played Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Clarinet, Flute, Guitar and Keyboard.

Guitar is the only one that I've stuck with. I have a Yamaha acoustic that I purchased 22 years ago and still love. Two years ago, I fulfilled a 20 year old dream by purchasing an Ovation. We recently bought a used keyboard so I'm thinking about piano lessons.

My husband is a drummer (and actually talented, unlike me) and also owns an electric guitar and a bass. Between us, we have enough instruments in our house to outfit a full band.
    Yes, he likes DT, but he'll need to work harder on his stamina, he's recently
    gotten down some Bonham licks also, which took over 4 months. Your talents
    with music are impressive, keep up the practice. Later
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Hey, Pat!

Dem's sure are purty! Me likee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Hey, Pat!

Dem's sure are purty! Me likee!!!
    Thanks!Spoil myself today ,this is a Epek "Odyssey" custom snare.Just awesome ,right crack and sizzled
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you a musician?-s2010383.jpg  

Thread Information