Thread: Odyssey Stratos

Forum Regular

Odyssey Stratos

Anyone out there have experience matching this amp with various speakers? In particular various Proac monitors or Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors.

nightflier
    Should be no problem. The Stratos is a very capable amp and should have no problems with bookshelves. I've auditioned several Odyssey amps and while the sound is a matter of taste, there was never any issues of capability. We ran them with very hard to drive speakers (Marin Logans, MB Quarts, Larger B&W's, etc.), and they never complained under normal conditions. If you haven't bought the amp yet, you won't be dissapointed.

Forum Regular

Odyssey

Thanks, when you say "a matter of taste", are you referring to its solid state characteristcs vs Tube or something else?

nightflier
    Well at this price point the differences between amps are more a matter of taste - some like a warmer sound and others prefer a dryer sound (words don't always convey the message). The stock Odyssey amp was right in the middle to my ears. Certainly not tubey, but also not dry. A very good sounding amp with plenty of reserve power.

That said, if you want to stay with Odyssey, but you want a different sound, the company will work with you in upgrading and swapping out certain parts until you get what you want. That is one of the nice things about Odyssey, the customer service is probably the best I have ever come across (I own the Nightingale speakers - amazing value & service).

Forum Regular
    Anybody compared the odyssey to AVA amps ? AVA IS audio by van alstine.
    http://www.avahifi.com/

Thread Information