please help with Pioneer DVD player problem

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can help resolve a problem I'm having with my Pioneer DV-588 DVD player. I bought the unit about five months ago from Amazon.com. It worked fine up until about two months ago when I hooked it up to my new Pioneer VSX 1015 receiver. The first thing I noticed was that all the colors on the screen were changing rapidly and flickering. I called Pioneer support about this and they told me how to reset the player (press the power button then press and hold the stop button for 10 seconds) and when I did this it fixed the problem temporarily but then picture always appeared in black and white. Even the player's menu appeared in black and white. We tried hooking the unit directly to the TV using both S-video cables as well as component but still had the same problem. I believe the model for my television is JVC AV-36260. We tried several cables of each type but no luck. I tried resetting the player several times but it would no longer reset after that first time.

Also, we did hook up another DVD (Sony) player to the same TV and that played fine. We used one of the same cables that was producing the B&W picture on the Pioneer player.

I sent the unit to a local Pioneer warranty service center and they kept it for one month but found nothing wrong with the player. The person that picked up the unit for me said that technicians showed him on their own TV that the unit was playing fine. When I hooked the player back up to my own TV it worked fine for about five minutes but then again, the picture came in black and white. I tried to reset the unit several times with no luck.

I contacted Pioneer and a manager there gave me a case number and address where to mail the player. I did this and contacted Pioneer around 10 days later and they told me that the manager that I spoke with had me send the unit to the wrong place, it should have gone to a company called Best Tech Electronics. Pioneer forwarded the player to Best Tech and I called them approximately seven days later only to be told that they found nothing wrong with the unit and had sent back to me.

When I got the unit back and hooked it up the picture was still coming in black and white. I also noticed that either Pioneer or Best Tech kept the box that I sent the player in which was the original box for the player. I called Pioneer and asked to speak with the manager had originally spoken with but was told he would be in a meeting all day. I explained to the representative that all I wanted to do was exchange this player for a different one of the same model. She said she was unable to did this because Pioneer found nothing wrong with the player. The customer service representative said the best way to have this escalated would be for her to contact the warranty department who would then escalate the case from there if necessary. I now have to wait five days for a callback from the warranty department and an aggravated as all hell.
    My questions for the group are:

1. Can you think of anything else I can do to correct this problem? Any idea what's causing this and what the problem may be?

2. What's the best way to handle the folks at Pioneer? They haven't flat-out told me they would not replace the player but it's looking that way.

I know this problem sounds bizarre but I don't know what else to do. I know the player will work fine with other televisions but I'm not about to get a new TV to get this player to work correctly. The only thing I can think to do to get Pioneer to believe me is to maybe videotape the player being hooked up to the television and and powering up so they can see the problem themselves. I'm physically unable to do the wiring for hooking up the player and had to higher the professional from a local electronics store to come out and do it for me. I also had to pay to get the player to the local service center and then to Pioneer I think the least they can do for me is let me exchange this player for a new one!

Thanks in advance for any info (and reading my rant!)
    Last edited by DanGinCT; 07-21-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanGinCT
    I know this problem sounds bizarre but I don't know what else to do. I know the player will work fine with other televisions but I'm not about to get a new TV to get this player to work correctly.
    Sounds like you've isolated the problem. Not sure what else to tell you. Works fine with all TV's except yours.....replace the TV.

Forum Regular
    I had to reread your problem a few times. Did this start when you hooked up the dvd player thru the video ins and outs of the 1015? Disconnect it from the 1015 and run it directly into the tv set. If your player does not exhibit a problem, the receiver could be at fault. Pioneer may in fact have found your player to work right since they did not hook your player thru a receiver but directly into a monitor. A good test to perform to see if you could possibly get a hold of another any-brand dvd player and see how it plays thru the connections thru the 1015. If that problem showed up on another player, the receiver would certainly be the culprit. That is still under warranty.

please help with Pioneer DVD player

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, we did unplug the player from the receiver & still had the same problem. Also, I finally got around to hooking the player up to another TV here and had the same exact problem. This time we only used component cable but did try 2 different cables w/no luck. I didn't do this before because the 1st shop I took the player to said the player worked fine for them, my friend that picked it up from the shop for me confirmed this.

So it looks like an intermittent problem to boot. Anyone know if a menu or some type of info screen should apper on the TV screen when you reset on of these players? I thought that happened the very 1st time I reset it but now the only thing that happens is the work "Clear" appears on the players display so I guess it's working.I wish Pioneer would just replace the unit & stop jerkin me around!

Thread Information