AR Newbie Registered Member

Help - Harman Kardon AVR 320 volume

Hi everyone. Hoping you can help out a new poster.

I've had my receiver for a little over two years (just out of warranty) and have really enjoyed it.

Recently, the volume will go from -30db where I normally keep it - as loud as it goes all by itself. If I try to turn the volume back down, the reciever will "fight me" and keep trying to put the volume all the way up. Same result whether I use the remote or turn it down by hand.

Turning the unit off and back on doesn't seem to fix it, but after a minute or two everything is back to normal. It does this a few times a week.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Boxbot; 07-12-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Try looking at your remote...could be stuck on volume.

frenchmon

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    yeah, take the batteries out of the remote for awhile and see if it happens again...just to be sure - I have 3 or 4 remotes that will work my receiver - one got under the cushion and my ass must have just been manipulating the volume at the right amount - took me a few days to figure out what the cause was.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot
    Hi everyone. Hoping you can help out a new poster.

I've had my receiver for a little over two years (just out of warranty) and have really enjoyed it.

Recently, the volume will go from -30db where I normally keep it - as loud as it goes all by itself. If I try to turn the volume back down, the reciever will "fight me" and keep trying to put the volume all the way up. Same result whether I use the remote or turn it down by hand.

Turning the unit off and back on doesn't seem to fix it, but after a minute or two everything is back to normal. It does this a few times a week.

Any thoughts?
    I too have a HK AVR 320 almost 4 years old now. I've never had the volume problem but have had the leds for the Stereo, 5 Channel Stereo, 7 Channel Stereo flicker. Even though the unit was out of warranty I emailed tech support and explained my situation and how I loved them and had other HK products thoughout the home. They agreed to pay the parts while I pay the labor. Six months later the same thing happened. I figured I was screwed this time, but I sent another email to tech support telling them what happened and that I did not trust the local Tech company as I had trouble with them before fixing other electronics. They promptly emailed me back with a UPS sticker to print out to ship to Virginia--one of their premeir tech centers. I spoke with the company the other day and asked if by chance they check everything a bring the unit back up to factory specs. They did. All this with full warranty service. I had not seen that kind of customer support since the 70's. Apparantly, to much cat/dog hair got into the unit and was causing problems along with a cap a few other parts. So, if the problem continues go to the HK website and email tech support in a very nice manner and butter them up with some nice language and see what happens.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the responses.

It's not the remote. That's what I thought initially, but even with the batteries out I had the same problem.

Thanks for the advice poneal, I'll pucker up to customer support.

Did you ever see the movie MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE? This sounds like a great sequel.

My AVR7000 does the same thing. It has become sort of a threat for me. I live in an apartment and usauly work 3rd shift. When I get home I watch a movie or something and at 4:00 A.M. the thing goes to maximum volume. I will be half asleep and out of nowhere I am having a heart attack.

I was watching Munich and there is a scene where it's all quiet and the volume went up but I didn't notice because I had been exhausted and starting to fall asleep. Suddenly my walls are shaking bass is pounding and my heart almost exploded. Man, an old persons life could realy be threatened.

Thread Information