Forum Regular

We saw Jimmy Buffet on Saturday night...

...pretty good show, a lot of fun.

It was at Jones Beach Amptheater here in Wantagh, New York, outdoors and at the beach (hence the name). A fun place, and not a bad seat in the house. probably about 5 or 6000.

I was kinda suprised at the sound... w-a-y louder than I have heard him before, and not as good as I had hoped. Whatever... we (I) had three HOT young blondes in front of me, dancing all night. I wasn't complaining.

Security was somewhat tight inside the ampi, but tailgating wasn't a problem... we just got tix for Phil Lesh on Friday, we will do the BBQ in the parking lot correctly this time!

Buffet did the Dead's "Scarlet Begonias" (figures... one of my fave Dead songs) for his finale... right as we were exiting. At least we beat the traffic!

Nothing to exiting to report, it was just a fun night. A LOT of hot girls/ladies!

Damn... I hope the Dead fans are as cute :^)

I've been to Jones Beach theatre once. I work for Nextel so I went there at 3:00 A.M. to upgrade some equipment but I didn't get a great view of the theatre itself? Do you know if the theatre sells a lot of tickets for shows in general?

I was just wondering, how is the sound system there and how did you like the place. I would like to catch a show there sometime in the near future cause it might be my last chance for a while as I am probably going to Seattle to work for quite some time.

Jeff

Forum Regular
    Hi JimmyC. I was there Saturday also. I thought that the show was good, but I agree with your comment about the sound. I also felt that is was less than stellar. A few times I really couldn't make out what Jimmy was saying between the songs because of the sound quality. I did enjoy the set selection and performance though.

Forum Regular

I think...

Quote Originally Posted by jlcct
    I've been to Jones Beach theatre once. I work for Nextel so I went there at 3:00 A.M. to upgrade some equipment but I didn't get a great view of the theatre itself? Do you know if the theatre sells a lot of tickets for shows in general?

I was just wondering, how is the sound system there and how did you like the place. I would like to catch a show there sometime in the near future cause it might be my last chance for a while as I am probably going to Seattle to work for quite some time.

Jeff
    ...for the most part, shows are sold out. I know someone that saw the Allman Brothers a week or two ago, and there some some seats left over. Usually they get fairly big names - Aerosmith, Stones, Duran Duran, Beach Boys. etc.

Yeah, the place is great. Better hurry up and get tix for whoever ya wanna see!

Roger Waters, Counting Crows, Aerosmith, Chicago, Steely Dan are on the way... check out the lineup.

Forum Regular

Why didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    Hi JimmyC. I was there Saturday also. I thought that the show was good, but I agree with your comment about the sound. I also felt that is was less than stellar. A few times I really couldn't make out what Jimmy was saying between the songs because of the sound quality. I did enjoy the set selection and performance though.
    ...you say "hello" :^)

...I couldn't make out some lyrics as well. Just turn it down a bit!

Actually, he sounds better on vinyl in my livingroom :*P All you have to do is forego some visceral impact, the excitement of being at a live show at the beach, cute girls, tailgating parties... O.K., I suppose he's better live.

Where are you? I'm in Commack. Maybe we'll get together some of us Long Islanders some day.

Buffet hasn't been to Kansas City in like, forever so I'm jealous. Seeing him on the Fourth just have been a blast. Too bad about the sound.

I busted out a bit of his music yesterday but it was just a bit since 75% of his stuff I have on vinyl and I'm still scouring Audiogon for a TT. Jimmy and the Fourth of July, they just go together.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Was he still playing PRS guitars?

We are hopeful that he finds his way to Seattle this year.

Forum Regular

And so did...

"Jimmy and the Fourth of July, they just go together."

...the three blonds and the large cooler of margaritas (sp?) we had.

Funny how that works!

Forum Regular

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tahitijack
    Was he still playing PRS guitars?

We are hopeful that he finds his way to Seattle this year.
    ...the last guitar lesson I had was almost 30 years ago. I don't know ka-ka about them.

I should actually find the intestinal fortitude to try it again.

Forum Regular
    JimmyC

The world of guitars and related gear is as much fun and filled with debate as the audio-video-home theatre sub-culture. Guitar forums and those that post there are very much like this one with some name changes.

Typical:
    "Whats the best acoustic guitar for under $1,000?"
    "Help me find the right speakers for my PA"
    "What are the best strings for my new Strat?"
    "Where should my new distortion pedal go in the chain?"

BTW most of Jimmy's songs are very easy to learn and play. Unfortunately Margaritaville is a fun song to play (I love to play it) but most musicians grow to hate it because everyone requests it and you end up playing it a couple of hundred times a year. Like The Last Emperor of China, Out of Africa or Lord of the Rings, its great to sample every once in a while, but if you do so every week they tend to get old real fast.

Its never too late, get yourself a new guitar Brother.

Forum Regular
    JimmyC- I live in the Port Jeff area. If there is an Audio Review Long Islanders get together, let me know.

Forum Regular

Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    JimmyC- I live in the Port Jeff area. If there is an Audio Review Long Islanders get together, let me know.
    What did "they" do with Dockside? Hopefully, it's better now. they had a decent brunch (unlimited raw clams and oysters), but the food wasn't all there. Hhmmm... maybe it's turned.

Ever get to Costa de Espana? Kinda drab, lol, but the tapas are good.

We're only a 347/454 away... let's do it up one day!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I saw him (w/the coral reefer band) in Pensacola, FL many years ago. It was fun - like a big beach party. His sister or aunt or something has a new hangout in Gulf Shores, AL called Lulu's. It's on the intracoastal canal and it's huge. I haven't been yet, but I've been by there several times and it's always packed. If you ever get down to the Alabama coast or the Florida Panhandle you should check out Lulu's and the Florabama (where Buffet's music is covered by everybody all the time and home of the annual mullet toss across state lines.)

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I saw him (w/the coral reefer band) in Pensacola, FL many years ago. It was fun - like a big beach party. His sister or aunt or something has a new hangout in Gulf Shores, AL called Lulu's. It's on the intracoastal canal and it's huge. I haven't been yet, but I've been by there several times and it's always packed. If you ever get down to the Alabama coast or the Florida Panhandle you should check out Lulu's and the Florabama (where Buffet's music is covered by everybody all the time and home of the annual mullet toss across state lines.)

That's funny. We treked down to Gulf Shores last year and ate at Lulu's twice. Not bad, not great but the atmosphere was the best. Jimmy opened up one of his chain eateries a few miles from my own house but I've never made there. Guess we tend to ignore what's in our own backyard.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Pardon me for bargin' in...

Jimmy C.: Definetely pick up a guitar again if the opportunity presents itself. I took a ten year hiatus, and putting the damn things down and actually listening made me a much more complete player...

Deano: Outstanding rec. I used to stop at the Florabama once a year on my way down to NO. Lotsa fun and good scenery...great memories...

Cheers to all
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information