Audio Enthusiast

Stereo Receiver vs AV Receiver

I listen to music (cd & tuner) only and want to have good quality receiver. Should I go with stereo reveiver only (ie : Yamaha RX-797) or with AV receiver (ie: Yamaha RXV-4600) ? What is the benefits, pros and cons with each approach ? Can anyone help ? Thanks

You can get the rxv4600 and just use stereo as the main setting, then in the future
    if you go home theater your set, add speakers and your done. There are guys on here
    who have a dedicaded stereo set-up, if you have the budget, go for it. I listen to all
    my music in 2 channel, and then switch for flicks, it's a 2 for 1 deal. Get good front
    speakers and your set either way. Good Luck

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

Forum Regular
    Why pay for something that you won't use.I would try a Cambridge Audio 640a v2 integrated amp and add a Cambridge tuner such as the 640t and these 2 units together retail for about one half of the rxv-4600.While i have not heard this Yamaha i have heard several lower models and none were even close to the Cambridge for music.If you don't need all the stuff the Yamaha does have to offer,why pay for it.The Cambridge will give you all you need and more,it is very good.

bill

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    And if he decides to do HT then go out and start all over again? Doesnt make any since at all. HT receiver and a Stereo receiver at equal costs will sound the same but the HT is much more flexable. This is of course imo.
    Look & Listen

You better go home, son, and make up your mind*

If all you really want is two channel music which, in my book, is perfectly fine, then economics dictate that your money would be a better spent two channel setup with two channels than a multi channel setup with at least five speakers.

* Lovin' Spoonful, from "Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind - 1966

Forum Regular
    He did say a system for music only,he may already have a seperate home theater.The Cambridge is only one of several options he has.If you have not heard the Cambridge at $699.00 cdn it will trash a similar priced a/v reciever,for music of course.

bill

True,

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    He did say a system for music only,he may already have a seperate home theater.The Cambridge is only one of several options he has.If you have not heard the Cambridge at $699.00 cdn it will trash a similar priced a/v reciever,for music of course.

bill
    ...but please note I didn't mention home theatre at all. I'm leaving open the possibility that he might be interested in multi channel music, via SACD and/or DVD-Audio.

IMNSHO, MC music is more difficult (and expensive) to do right than home theatre.

Even though they serve many of the same functions, the designs for stereo and AV receivers are fundamentally different. Stereo receivers work strictly in the analog domain, while AV receivers perform most of their functions in the digital domain and incorporate video switching/processing functions. The signal path on a stereo receiver is more direct. If you have no intention of transitioning over to multichannel, then there's no reason to go with an AV receiver.

With stereo receivers, you don't need to stick with Yamaha. The all-analog design of stereo receivers mean that you might hear more perceptible differences between these units than with AV receivers. In the old days, measurable differences often existed between different receivers' "zero" states (with the tone controls and other processing circuits set to flat) because the signal paths had to go through various switches and controls that might introduce their own coloration, unless some sort of bypass switch was included. They do make decent stereo receivers though, and the variable loudness contour is a great feature if have to do a lot of low level listening, because it maintains comparable balances in the lows and highs of your normal listening levels as you turn the levels down.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Why pay for something that you won't use.I would try a Cambridge Audio 640a v2 integrated amp and add a Cambridge tuner such as the 640t and these 2 units together retail for about one half of the rxv-4600.While i have not heard this Yamaha i have heard several lower models and none were even close to the Cambridge for music.If you don't need all the stuff the Yamaha does have to offer,why pay for it.The Cambridge will give you all you need and more,it is very good.
    The Cambridge is definitely well regarded, but unless you've actually heard Yamaha's stereo receivers, it's not really a comparable comparison if your listenings have consisted of the Yammie AV receivers.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    Sorry markw,my response was meant to be directed towards shokhead,by the way i agree with you on the difference between mc music and h/t.I think if you want m/c music then you need 5 identical full range speakers to do it right.
    Wooch you are right i have only heard one Yamaha stereo reciever and i don't remember the model number,so i should not make assumptions.I have however heard several a/v recievers and while i found them decent for movies but rather bland for music.

bill

Forum Regular
    If you only want a 2 channel receiver hit a few garage sales and pick up a vintage Kenwood, Pioneer or Sansui for $10 or so. You should be able to get one with an honest 40 to 125 watts/ch with a little effort and luck. Folks are just dumping these with the HT craze going on. I have loaded up on deals the last couple years including Sansui 9090, 9090db, Kenwood KA 6000 and KR 4170, two sets of JBL L-100 and a pair of Mach 2's plus two Dual turntables and several CD and cassette players.

I even picked up a 70 watt/ch Pioneer SA-940 amp and CT -340 AM/FM tuner in the original boxes in the garbage at a house on the next block a month ago. The are in like new condition and work perfectly,

Good hunting

Charlie

Thread Information