Thread: Apc

Forum Regular

Apc

I own a Monster power bar,and I have no complaints with the unit so far. I'm toying with the idea of buying a unit with "voltage regulation" but I'm having a hard time spending the money on one of these units (APC H10 is the one I like).

My question is, are one of these units worth spending the money on, or will a power bar do the same, minus "voltage regulation"?

The reason I need a new unit is that I need two sets of coax cable input and outputs as the monster only has one.

Thanks.

This seems to be one of the hardest questions that people with A/V systems face. At the very least, everyone should have good surge protection. The question is whether the next two steps--power conditioning and voltage regulation--are necessary for most people. Those with oodles of money and big-ticket systems won't hesitate to spring for them, and those who sell the products, for good or ill, will insist that everyone needs them. There's no question that the current to your equipment is affected by extraneous conditons both inside and outside the house. Sometimes you can actually see noise on screen (or even hear it through your speakers) when distinct events occur, and sometimes you can't tell until you actually witness what filtered power can accomplish. Changes in voltage, however, can be more subtle, affecting performance as well as possibly damaging gear and erasing volative memory. But a lot of sketicism surrounds this issue, since most people without regulation, let alone filtering, get along just fine, thank you. When money counts, I'm of the school, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you aren't aware of extraordinary electrical circumstances in your house, you need not spend money on something predicated on them. But your surge suppressor should be robust. Lightning is not extraordinary.

Lightening protection is not all that expensive.

Check these out. These guys have been into power protection long before it became an audio catch phrase.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=221

One thing I've noticed is that APC's products designed for audio/video or "home theater" use seem to cost more than comparable products that they market towards the computer market. Does anyone know what differences, if any, might exist between these different product lines, since they seem to serve the same functions?
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Wooch,

The specs and functions of APC's two lines are remarkably similar. The offerings are so numerous that I can't really price one out as more expensive than the other. The rack-mounted computer protection, however, seems more expensive than anything in the nominal A/V line. At one point I was about to suggest that the A/V line was more design-conscious than the computer side, but that difference doesn't hold at every level. At any rate, the joules remain fairly constant, as do the let-through voltage, the cable management, the fail-safe protection, etc.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input guys

"Market stratification", I'd guess

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    One thing I've noticed is that APC's products designed for audio/video or "home theater" use seem to cost more than comparable products that they market towards the computer market. Does anyone know what differences, if any, might exist between these different product lines, since they seem to serve the same functions?
    Charge more where the market will bear it. To do this, a producer introduces cosmetic or minor differentiating features and ups the price to the target niche. The audiophile and up-scale home theatre markets are obivously candidates for this treatment.

Thread Information