Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

help choosing a new component or whether I even need one

I think I'm in over my head on this board but you all seem helpful and friendly. I've been trying to research a CD player and I'm overwhelmed.

Here's what I have now:
    2 Energy XL-250 floor standing speakers
    Yamaha RX-496 Stereo Receiver
    Sony CDP-C211 5 disc CD player

I don't want surround sound or home theater. I'd like to stick with the Energy speakers.

I do really want more than 1 disc capacity. Honestly, I had a hard time parting with my vinyl but I finally did because I was too lazy to get up and flip the darn things. Let alone play more than one. Color me sad but honest.

So, can I improve on what I have? For <$500 per component. Can I just get a CD player? Do I need to get a new receiver to hear improvement? I prefer not to get a separate amp. Would I do just as well with a shelf system?

It's for my living room which is approximately 12x14 with 10 foot ceilings and open to a ~12X24 kitchn/dining room. Pretty much the entire first floor of my house is open.

Thanks for your opinions!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What, specifically, are you trying to improve? "Can I improve..." is a bit vague. With more concrete goals stated I'm sure that there are many who could offer suggestions.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

upgrade your amp. I'd consider a used tube amp, or a NAD 320bee, or a panasonic XR series "digital" receiver. They're awesome.

Forum Regular
    That's part of the "in over my head" part. I'm not sure what I'm talking about. The CD player is ~20 years old. I assume I can get better sound with a newer player. Maybe I don't know enough to bother? Ack!

Aack...

...OK, there will be no more of that. Obviously, there's an issue or you wouldn't be addressing it here. That said, we need to ask a few questions to get you headed in the right direction. At one point or another we were all new to this and overwhelmed--some of us still spend most of our time in said condition So don't worry about it.
    1) What about the musical presentation is lacking? Is it the upper range? Mid or lower?
    2) Describe the contents of your room. Rooms with hardwood flooring, little furniture, and in general a sparse decor lend themselves to all kinds of sound reflections.
    3) How are your speakers positioned? Are they up against a wall or are they brought out into the room? Most speakers will need to be pulled out a bit for the best results as it gives them "room to breathe".
    4) Is a television involved? I know you said you're not interested in HT, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how many and what types of sources will be used.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

A 20 year old CD player?!

Quote Originally Posted by ktrucke
    That's part of the "in over my head" part. I'm not sure what I'm talking about. The CD player is ~20 years old. I assume I can get better sound with a newer player. Maybe I don't know enough to bother? Ack!
    And it still works?! Time to swap it out for a newer model. Most players from the 80's sounded really dull, the exception being some from McCormack & PS Audio.

Even an entry level multi-player DVD/CD player will smoke the old Sony. If you like Sony then you might want to try one of their multi-disk player.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

hhhmmmnn...

...a quick Google search reveals a load of options. Of course Geoff andericl are correct in that there's plenty of room for improvements. So how about specifics?
    If it's me, and given the criteria you stated I do the following:
    1) Go to Best Buy (sometimes it's a necessary evil ) and pick up a Sony DVPCX995V. That model is a 400 dvd/cd/sacd/cd-rw changer that goes for less than $400.00. That model will play most forms of media including hi-rez sources and that's400 discs in the changer. You might never have to get off the couch again.
    2) This one may seem like a leap of faith, but I bet I get some support on this. Forget the big box stores and get on that computer of yours. Go to http://outlawaudio.com and order the RR2150 for $599.00 (you saved $100.00 with the Sony, remember?). This bad boy is a 2-channel stereo receiver with some serious output and features. It has an LFE output in case you want to add a subwoofer later, and also has USB ports if you want to go the ultimate route of ripping your cd catalog to computer. Foremost, Outlaw has a great reputation for sound and build quality.
    3) Pull the speakers away from the wall, throw down some nice area rugs, fill the room with plants and have at it!!!

Happy hunting

Forum Regular
    Baby steps here!

Bobsticks
    1) I'll have to think about this. Off the top of my head the highs are too sharp (if that makes sense). I'm generally happy with the bass. I love bass.
    2) The 'main' room is carpeted with a couch, two large upholstered chairs and one small bookcase. The larger room has a dining area with hardwood floors covered by a large area rug and a dining table with chairs. Beyond that is a kitchen with the usual cupboards and an island.
    3) The speakers are not flush to the wall. They are about 10 inches away. One each in the SE and NE corners of the 12x14 part of the room. Angled slightly to the center of this room.
    4) No television at all.

Re the 400 disc changer. I keep reading that single disc players are superior to multi disc players. Is a 400 disc changer going to sound good? Is my cd player so old it will still sound better?

BTW A quick Google search is what overwhelmed me in the first place!

Sony?

Baby steps here!
    Re the 400 disc changer. I keep reading that single disc players are superior to multi disc players. Is a 400 disc changer going to sound good? Is my cd player so old it will still sound better?

BTW A quick Google search is what overwhelmed me in the first place!

This unit (the Sony ES model) should blow away what you already have, AND it's a 5 disk unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-SCD-C20...QQcmdZViewItem

You really don't want to be looking at a unit that costs much more than this until you decide to upgrade more of your system.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular
    Perhaps a Marantz CC4300? I don't have experience with it, but it should be better than a sony.

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    Perhaps a Marantz CC4300? I don't have experience with it, but it should be better than a sony.
    Definitley.

Comments and further questions

I think any of the units mentioned will do well for you. Will a single- disc player sound better than a multi-disc unit? Possibly. However, you have to take into consideration the fact that compared to a twenty year old player any modern player is going to be far superior. Cd playback technology has improved greatly in the last three years, much less twenty. All the players mentioned will have more sophisticated DAC (digital to analog) converters as well as processors.
    How old are the Energy speakers? Are they a new addition to your system, and if so, have they had time to break in (one hundred hours or so)?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    You really don't want to be looking at a unit that costs much more than this until you decide to upgrade more of your system.
    Would the Marantz fit this category? It seems in line pricewise.

The Outlaw seems like a little too much for me. Not price but it's so beefy it kind of scares me. Can I upgrade without going that far?

I appreciate all the input!

I think it's on par

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    With the entry level Sony line, the ES line is a step up. Marantz also has an upgrade line, and they go even further with it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

--both Sony ES and Marantz are solid performers. Don't be afraid to return something if it's not to your liking. Always ask about return policies and keep that receipt.
    --Yes, you can upgrade without going gonzo about it. Many of us tend to jump right in. Right now, an upgrade in your source component could have a very positive effect on your system, without having to go further. You'll be the judge of that.
    --I guess what concerns me is your comment as to "the highs being sharp". Assuming you mean shrill, as apposed to out of tune, this is not generally a characteristic associated with older cd players. Frankly, it's generally the opposite. That's what led me to ask about the speakers and room conditions.

Forum Regular
    I didn't mean out of tune. Shrill is kind of a strong word but closer to what I meant. Maybe it's because I'm old? Or maybe it's because I have such a strong preference for bass? The Energy speakers are almost 4 years old. They've definitely had 100 hours of sound.

Bobsticks based on your comment I'm thinking I should hold off on purchasing a receiver until I try a new, improved CD player. I may not end up with the best system but the improvement could be good enough that I won't care. Especially since speakers, etc. are not in the budget.

Just for kicks IF I went for a receiver but weenied out on the Outlaw what would be a less beefy choice?

First, I would purchase a cd player and integrate it into the system. As you say, you might well be surprised and no further spending would be necessary.
    Sadly, there is not that big of a demand for two-channel stereos, so newer models are few and far between. That leaves a couple of options--a) go vintage, or b) get a surround sound receiver. While there can be a certain je ne sais quoi about vintage, if you're going to get a modern source component that is capable of handling hi-rez formats I think you should take advantage of that to the fullest. Most receivers from the big guys will do a good job with two channel as well as surround. I have Onkyo,Yamaha, and Denon products around the home and office. Some would add Harman Kardan and Marantz to the mix. HK are very musical to these ears, but have in the past had qc issues. I am not experienced enough with Marantz receivers to comment.
    You might search out the Onkyo TX-SR603X or the Yamaha HTR5860. But let's not jump the gun. Check out a good cd source and make moves contingent on the result.

Forum Regular
    As for Marantz, good reviews and 3yr warranty. Also Cambridge Audio has been spoken well of in the forum. That Yamaha receiver should be suffcient (unless you got bitten by the upgrade bug) so a new cd player would be a thought without alot of investment. Another thought would be a powered sub, this would have the Yamaha taking care of the mids and highs the sub the obvious. I've done this before and it can make a differerence. I mentioned this cause' of you comment about bass.
    Last edited by 2chAlex; 06-10-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Forum Regular
    OK. I'm going to go for the CD player first. I have some recommendations to look at further. Thanks for all the input!

Since I'm new here, what's the protocol - want me to tell you what I get?

Forum Regular
    Sure, tell us about the cd player you buy and your thoughts on any changes it made on your system.

OK. I'm going to go for the CD player first. I have some recommendations to look at further. Thanks for all the input!

Since I'm new here, what's the protocol - want me to tell you what I get?
    Yes, I'm sure everyone who's posted advice would be interested to hear it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Yikes! 20 year-old CDP

Those old CD players are very strong candidates for upgrade. Almost any new player will sound audibly better. If you have any thoughts for multichannel, get a universal player, or if for music only, perhaps one of the Sony music-dedicated SACD players. I have a Sony SCD-CE775, which has very good transparency and is the immediate predecessor to the lower priced current model ...

Definitely report back...

...we'd like to hear about your findings.
    Alex approaches this from a different angle than I did, and he's probably right. I was just looking at the taming of the shrill, as it were, but the addition of the sub would free-up your mains for those critical mids and highs while the sub would add more of that bass that you love. Good perspective to keep in mind if necessary. Still, I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised by what a new cdp can offer...

Happy hunting

I think you're definitely taking the right steps. I'm with Geoff in that I'm amazed the darn thing even works!

If you must get a multidisc player, might I suggest this Denon DCM380 for your perusal. At only $300 list (street price will undoubtedbly be lower), this unit should be a huge improvement over what you have. It has an HDCD decoder and Denon has always decoded RBCD's with a much warmer signature than Sony, which...as you've noticed... tend to be shrill. If you want to get away from that, definitely audition this unit.

If you don't mind single disc operation, it's tough to beat the Cambridge Audio 540c or 640c. Wolfson DAC's, proprietary clocks, and very solid construction. Very smooth sound with solid bass extension.

Hope this helps.

This one may be the best bargain I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I think you're definitely taking the right steps. I'm with Geoff in that I'm amazed the darn thing even works!

If you must get a multidisc player, might I suggest this Denon DCM380 for your perusal. At only $300 list (street price will undoubtedbly be lower), this unit should be a huge improvement over what you have. It has an HDCD decoder and Denon has always decoded RBCD's with a much warmer signature than Sony, which...as you've noticed... tend to be shrill. If you want to get away from that, definitely audition this unit.
    A B-stock unit from an Authorized Denon dealer. I don't think you'll find a unit that does HDCD for less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-DCM-380-5-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also does MP3 too.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information