Refurbishing Thiel CS3

Hi all. I recently was given a pair of Thiel CS3's from my father-in-law. They are not in the greatest shape, but I want to try to refurbish them myself. Some of the damage includes dented dust caps, destroyed grills, and numerous scratches and chips all over the cabinets. I think I can figure out how to fix the caps and I'll probably need to order new grills direct from Thiel, but I'm not sure how to repair the damage to the cabinet. They are finished in a matte black. Any suggestions? Also, is it worth opening these up to try and clean up the interior components as well? Thanks.

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Hi all. I recently was given a pair of Thiel CS3's from my father-in-law. They are not in the greatest shape, but I want to try to refurbish them myself. Some of the damage includes dented dust caps, destroyed grills, and numerous scratches and chips all over the cabinets. I think I can figure out how to fix the caps and I'll probably need to order new grills direct from Thiel, but I'm not sure how to repair the damage to the cabinet. They are finished in a matte black. Any suggestions? Also, is it worth opening these up to try and clean up the interior components as well? Thanks.
    I would call Theil and ask what they would recommend.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information