Suspended

DLR tries to milk the VH cash cow

But will the teats be dry? Yee-hah! David Lee Roth went to Nashville and had Van Halen standards put to Bluegrass, and if that isn't enough, he had the nerve to sing on a couple of the songs. Let me say that I have no intentions of bashing Dave, I like him and respect the VH work he was on but I also have to call a spade a spade and this is off the wall. I heard the version of Jamie's Cryin'. I didn't recognize the melody until Dave started singing the lyrics. The music actually wasn't bad but Dave's voice does not go with Bluegrass. I'm not sure I remember the name of the album, it's something like Strumming with the Devil. Thankfully he only sings on 2 tracks. I'm not sure who else is on the album but it's supposed to be the top Nashville pickers.

Any takers???

Aaarrrrrgghhh!!!!

DLR was always an a$$ clown anyway. I haven't listened to a Van Halen album in years and don't think I want to hear hayseed versions of them.

Maybe DLR thinks Nashville will embrace him the way they embraced that other dipstick, Kid Rock.

And country artists wonder why they have no cred?

Forum Regular
    Brett Michaels (Poison) tried a Nashville career as well. We actually got a copy of his single at our station. Needless to say, it never got played! Lots of 70's and 80's rock artists have tried this, from Richard Marx (who actually has become a successful Nashville songwriter), to Bon Jovi. BJ actually has a number one country hit! It's all in marketing. They figure the kids that grew up listening to Van Halen will listen to Van Zant (Johnny and Donnie are a country duo now). Sammy Hagar has collaborated with Toby Keith. DLR is a different story. Never liked him. This may be blasphemy, but I actually liked Van Halen more after Sammy joined. I kinda feel sorry for the man...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    But will the teats be dry? Yee-hah! David Lee Roth went to Nashville and had Van Halen standards put to Bluegrass, and if that isn't enough, he had the nerve to sing on a couple of the songs. Let me say that I have no intentions of bashing Dave, I like him and respect the VH work he was on but I also have to call a spade a spade and this is off the wall. I heard the version of Jamie's Cryin'. I didn't recognize the melody until Dave started singing the lyrics. The music actually wasn't bad but Dave's voice does not go with Bluegrass. I'm not sure I remember the name of the album, it's something like Strumming with the Devil. Thankfully he only sings on 2 tracks. I'm not sure who else is on the album but it's supposed to be the top Nashville pickers.

Any takers???
    I'm not the biggest DLR fan (although VH after him has been a joke, if you ask me), but this isn't how I heard it went down. I heard a bluegrass Van Halen tribute album was being made (with or without DLR) and he was asked to sing on a couple tracks, so he did. I don't know where I heard this and I don't know if it's accurate, but that's what I heard (which is a lot different from your account of it).

He also been saying a Van Halen reunion with him as lead singer is inevitable.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    He also been saying a Van Halen reunion with him as lead singer is inevitable.
    Hell froze over for the Eagles and for Pink Floyd. Never say never.

Frankly, that's the only way that I would have any interest in VH again. Although Hubby likes the Sammy years too. I lost interest when Dave left.

And WTF?! I saw the Bon Jovi country video and was totally disappointed. Not that I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan, but I enjoy putting a disk on and gazing at his picture every now and again. But this country thing...

Bon Jovi as a country singer is not that much of a stretch at all.

Hell, that song from the 80's "Wanted Dead or Alive" could be a country song with some slide guitar added.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Suspended
    Well, Stone, I don't know what I did to deserve the personal attack, but my information came from an interview with Dave on our local rock station. I'm only conveying his words and what he implied. So eat me! Ooops, sorry for that you all except Stone, but sometimes us IQ challenged lack for proper expressive vocabulary.

I also heard today that Darius Rucker of Hooty & the Blowfish fame is going country.

Well, Stone, I don't know what I did to deserve the personal attack, but my information came from an interview with Dave on our local rock station. I'm only conveying his words and what he implied. So eat me! Ooops, sorry for that you all except Stone, but sometimes us IQ challenged lack for proper expressive vocabulary.

I also heard today that Darius Rucker of Hooty & the Blowfish fame is going country.
    Whoa Mr. Body. I don't think that Stone was attacking you. He was just saying that he heard it differently. He even says that he's not sure if his version is accurate. I think you're misreading the attack part.

Suspended
    I'm sincerely sorry Stone. FA is correct. I was using a text to speech reading program and not looking at the screen. I interpretted your signature as part of the post.

I'm sincerely sorry Stone. FA is correct. I was using a text to speech reading program and not looking at the screen. I interpretted your signature as part of the post.
    LMAO!!!! Ain't technology great!

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    This may be blasphemy, but I actually liked Van Halen more after Sammy joined. I kinda feel sorry for the man...
    Tis not blasphemy!!!!! I felt the same way...

of course my moniker might have already given that away.

Yeah, someone told me about Hagar and Toby Keith (whom I can't stand). No, I haven't heard it and will avoid hearing it at all costs.

No, it certainly wasn't meant to be a personal attack. I just heard the story differently, and as FA, pointed out, I don't know which version is accurate.

My signature is a quote from the movie Hoodwinked, during which the big bad wolf is interrogated and the detective says that to him.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I read somewhere that DLR's sister has some affiliation with the outfit putting this thing out, but although I have no reason to disbelieve it, it wouldn't make sense that this was a DLR project. Makes much more sense that someone managed to get him to do a little work on it, rather than it being his idea.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I've had it for weeks. That points to it being recorded during a time when going into a studio would've been the last thing on his mind due to his radio gig & the amount of time & effort he put into preparation. Remember, he did practice DJ shifts for awhile in Boston in preparation for replacing Stern.

I love the early VH stuff & after not listening to it for a long time I went back & revisisted it to find that it holds up pretty well to my ears. But I'm definitely in the camp that gives him a good amount of credit for the qualities I find likable in their work. Never heard it in one thing they did after he left, but that's just me.

Had I not gotten Sirius for Howard I probably would've given him a try, but the couple of times I did listen to him I found him abrasive after a few minutes, and over the years I remember hearing interviews with him & thinking that he was good in small doses. Not for 4 hours, though I think he got a raw deal with CBS. Nevertheless, the idea of doing VH songs country style is very appealing to me. Unfortunately, though, I've heard nothing but thumbs downs pretty much across the board. Well, I like the idea, a chance worth taking, even if the execution isn't up to par. Country Wall? Well, that sounds dubious. But the reggae version of Dark Side Of The Moon is outstanding, as is the ska take on Tommy. And if having to listen to blues & gospel collections of Dylan songs is the price for the reggae one, it's worth it, even if those other ones give new meaning to the word excrement.

I'll try to get around to the Strumming With The Devil thang soon...and if anyone's interested, I understand DLR will be flogging this thing with television performances next week.

I don't like others.

I'm not suprised. Its been explained to me that country albums sell more copies, compared to pop, which get downloaded. These are professionals following the money.

Eddie has to be going "WTF, now whats up with this guy. Hope they settle there problems
    for one last tour/lp. I saw the vh/sammy 04 tour, pretty good stuff. Do it with dave, one
    more disc and end it. I saw ed on tv not long ago, he looks pretty bad.

As Long As My Fingers and Brain Work..I'm Cool..Edward Van Halen

Thread Information