Question Which digital audio standard???

I'm wondering about the multichannel digital inputs & outputs on AV receivers, etc.. Generally the specifications for these units specify only "digital coaxial" or "digital optical".

As I understand it, stereo, (viz. 2 ch), CD players, etc., use a standard called "S/PDIF", (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace), that applies to be coaxial and optical. Is it this standard or some other that handles the 5.1 multichannel digital connects?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm wondering about the multichannel digital inputs & outputs on AV receivers, etc.. Generally the specifications for these units specify only "digital coaxial" or "digital optical".

As I understand it, stereo, (viz. 2 ch), CD players, etc., use a standard called "S/PDIF", (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace), that applies to be coaxial and optical. Is it this standard or some other that handles the 5.1 multichannel digital connects?
    It depends on which 5.1 formats your are speaking of. The core data streams of Dolby digital and Dts come out of the coaxial outputs of a DVD.

The newer high resolution 5.1 Dolby Digital+, 7.1 True HD, 5.1 Dts++, and 7.1 Dts HD can only be outputted through a HDMI connection because of the higher bandwidth required for these new formats. This is also the case for SACD and DVD-A.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs